• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

22 or 17HMR build

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
I have been spending some time on this thread reading up on these training rifles that you guys use.
I had shoulder surgury in January, and it might be a long time before I can go back to shooting my magnums. So, I thought I would look at getting a small caliber in order to be able to keep shooting. I like the Wallis Forge stock and would like to build something with that stock in mind.
My question is why the 22 over the 17 HMR, and what donor rifle to buy with the intent of putting it in a Wallis stock?

Re: 22 or 17HMR build

I have a 17hmr and its a great rifle, and can drop game easily... it shoots fairly flat which is a plus and can take down small varmints up to 200m without a trouble.

Only downsides of the 17hmr are wind drift from such a light projectile, price of ammo, and the fact that the round is only a few years old.

The 22Mag however is an old round, costs a little bit less to shoot than the 17hmr, and has a heavier projectile that is less prone to wind drift.

All up, i feel that if you know the drop out your projectile over said distances, and your competant at using your scope it doesnt matter if the projectile drops an extra 4" or 20" or whatever... at the end of the day if you dial it in right it will hit regardless.

That being said i think both rounds are fantastic, however i would say the 22mag is better in that it is tried and true... However i think the 17hmr is a far superior round...

Go with the 22mag if your having doubts... end of the day both rounds are great

I too enjoy shooting a 17, but my stable hosts a pair of double deuce rifles. The thing is, I kill game with my rifles and I have doubts in whether the .17 is enough to do what i'm asking of my 22mag. Fox, coyote, raccoon, PDogs, BPUTs of all types, squirrels and even a couple deer have all fallen prey to my marlin 22mag.

My only real gripe about the 22mag is that you will go broke finding which ammo your rifle likes to shoot. My first 22mag, a marlin 25mn just LOVED CCI 40gr solids and hp's. they both hit the same place and both did about .75 inches at 100. I became very adept at dropping 25lb turkey silhouettes at 100-200 yards with that rifle (hit them in the head...they spin and fall) and still to this day i'm unsure what I was smoking when I sold that rifle. It just loved the cheap stuff. My new(?) marlin 882SSV likes the lighter pills. For a while I was buying custom loads from OSSI bought at 22ammo.com which consisted of a 30 grain hornady Vmax pill on top of an unknown powder charge, and they zipped right along at 2200 fps. The varmint barreled rifle would stick these things in the same hole. They stopped making the OSSI stuff and i started using the Remington 33gr green tips. I will still use these when available, but right now i'm shooting a newer load from hornady which mimicks the OSSI stuff perfectly. I'm shooting bug holes again and loving life.

That's not to say it won't shoot the other ammo, CCI 40's are still 1" groups, but they hit in a different spot and I've never taken the time to put together a sheet for them. Winchester 40gr supreme soft points work well too, and they are my go-to for coyote fodder when I know i won't get to take head shots (day time. Night time coyote and fox it's too easy to aim for one of the shiny headlights coming toward you and the concussion of a 30 gr vmax makes quick work of their cranial cavity.

If i were shooting paper alone or the occasional SMALL game, nothing larger than a ground hog, and nothing which i wanted to keep the pelt on, the .17 is HARD to beat.

The selling point for me on the 22mag is talking to my uncles ranching neighbors. every one of them carries 2 guns when they are patrolling the ranch. a .45 auto OWB, and a 22WMR. It's enough to dispatch a cow that needs dispatched or any of the pesky dogs or vermin.

I'm done rambling...damn coffee...

I had a .22 mag before. I traded it for my .17 HMR, which I LOVE. So yeah, I say go with a .17 HMR. To me, the ammo price is well worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fox, coyote, raccoon, PDogs, BPUTs of all types, squirrels and even a couple deer have all fallen prey to my marlin 22mag.

</div></div>

All of those but deer are game to a 17 HMR.

Why would you shoot a deer with a 22 mag anyways? That is about as inhumane as I've heard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you shoot a deer with a 22 mag anyways? That is about as inhumane as I've heard. </div></div>

WOW

the intent of using a 22lr is that it is like a 308 only in 1/4 of the distance. it teaches you to range correctly and dope the wind correctly all under 200yds. Its amazing how much fun it is to try and hit targets past 100yds with a 22lr that is zeroed in at 50yds. it takes an great ranging abilities and great wind reading. every 10yds makes a difference. If you use a 17hmr it will blow like a son of a bitch but it is so much flatter shooting you won't have to range distance as well.

just my .02cents

plus 22lr ammo is way cheaper which allows for alot more rounds down range per dollar.

If you plan on using a Chris Wallis stock, he only builds stocks for Savage Mark II or a 10/22. He was wanting to start building them for the CZ 452 but I dont know if he got it done yet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
plus 22lr ammo is way cheaper which allows for alot more rounds down range per dollar. </div></div>

I hate this argument. If you set on being accurate at extended rimfire ranges, match 22 ammo is the same friggin' price as HMR ammo.

I disagree that 22 is "better trainer" than HMR because of it flatter trajectory. HMR quickly starts to fall off the table after about 125 yards. Shooting the HMR is actually much more like shooting a "real" gun in that I don't have to arc the son of a bitch unnecessarily just to get out past 125 yards.

If you're looking for centerfire performance at rimfire distances, the 17 is the best option.

If all you want to do is plink some or work on mechanics like trigger pull etc, 22 is great.

If you're comparing the calibers, it should be the .22 Mag to the 17HMR and the .22 LR to the .17 Mach2.

If you're hunting I'd go with the 17. Zero it at 100 yards and then anything from 0 - 100 yards you can hit without any sighting. Plus the bullet explodes internally. I've heard a .22 mag can still exit a ground hog while a 17 blows it's chest cavity wide open. Just what I've heard anyway. I'm not a hunter myself. However, when I had my .22 mag I could fill a soda can with water and it would blow it up but still leave it in a mangled one piece. The 17 blew it to bits.

All great posts guys, but I think diggler hit it on the head for me as far as matching 308 trajectory, and using it as a practice round.
I have narrowed it down to the new Savage TR or buy a Savage Mark2 FSS and restock it with a Wallis stock.

here is my 22lr trainer, savage mark II btvs with barrel cut to 16.25" w/nxs 3.5x15 npr1 to match my other rifles. it shoots good but not unbelievable but it is just a trainer and you can't have unreasonable expectations of ammo that costs under $15/550rds.

IMGP6542.jpg

IMGP6543.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All great posts guys, but I think diggler hit it on the head for me as far as matching 308 trajectory, and using it as a practice round.
I have narrowed it down to the new Savage TR or buy a Savage Mark2 FSS and restock it with a Wallis stock. </div></div>

Everybody gets what works best for them, and those are fine rifles. I'm glad you found all the advice that you needed here.
smile.gif
Good luck!

By the way, I hear ya. I lost my right collar bone in a downhill mountain bike race crash. You should be all good!

not that i feel i have to defend anything I say, I want to clarify - the deer were culls, at 30 yards, right in the ear. Both dropped DRT. And that's all I got to say about that.

As for 22mag exiting the back of a ground hog? Depends on the bullet (which there are many more choices than with the .17 which is a good thing too. Each gun is pickier than a kid at the salad bar.

One thing you will notice among rimfire guys - they are all passionate about their caliber of choice.
smile.gif
to each their own!

Since this is my thread, thought I would highjack it alittle and ask a quick question about velocity.
Can someone give me a quick breakdown of caliber, bullet weigh and spead of the 17 and 22 calibers in rimfire?
Might help in my dicision.
Thanks

diggler44 nice to see someone actually put a DECENT scope on a rimfire!!!

Nice... i would look to one day add an another Nightforce to my collection.

I would have to dissagree with JasonB in that the 17hmr should be used on anything bigger than a ground hog... I have personally taken goats with a 17hmr and all of those kills have been what i would consider ethical kills.

All shots where taken at vitals (Heart and lungs) and head shots between the eyes... To be honest, I was suprised that vital shots dropped the goats on the spot. I had one goat run about 1 meter and then drop but the animal remained still after the shot.

I have taken head shots right between both eyes, and this caused the animal to fall straight away, but like most things that receive head shots there is usually some residual neural activity and twitching of the animal.

The 17hmr is a very deadly round for its size. The polymer tip Hornady 17gr do a great job at tearing up the lungs and heart.

Just make sure your a good shot.

I would not suggest shooting a target larger than this

You dont need a decent scope on a 22lr or 17 hmr. The most you need is maybe a 200$ Bushnell elite 3200.
I would recommend wal-mart. Crosspoint/Aimpoint? target scope. Its all you need.

^ Yup. I have a 5-15x50 Bushnell Elite 3200. It's got an illuminated reticle and a thread on rain guard/sunshade. I love this scope. It is insanely clear and great for target shooting. I would also recommend it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been spending some time on this thread reading up on these training rifles that you guys use.
I had shoulder surgury in January, and it might be a long time before I can go back to shooting my magnums. So, I thought I would look at getting a small caliber in order to be able to keep shooting. I like the Wallis Forge stock and would like to build something with that stock in mind.
My question is why the 22 over the 17 HMR, and what donor rifle to buy with the intent of putting it in a Wallis stock?
</div></div>

comparable post you may gain some insight from :.17 hmr and .22 lr once again...

IMHO, any of the rimfires would make a great trainer / low recoil and cost shooter in replacement of the centerfire. although i am not personally familiar with particulars of the wallis stock, can i assume that it can be inletted for any of the calibers / actions of the rimfires mentioned?

ultimately, i would have to also believe you have to consider what your intents of the rifle is. paper punching, hunting, competition, or a combo.

while the .17 .22 mag and 22lr all have their seperate advantages, they also have their seperate drawbacks depending on what you are ging to use them for.

without turning this into a ammo "one vs. another" thread, some of my generalizations (and i think we can all agree) are:

i prefer the .22 lr for target (paper punching / plinking), as it has the widest selection of ammos (the cheapest to the most expensive ammos) depending on what shoots the best out of the rifle and the application. there are many more competitions available to the .22lr. although it can bring down big game for culling and such, for hunting, it's mostly restricted to squirrels, rabbits, and smaller critters of this type. can be used on turkeys, but a better percentage / ethical choice would be a .22 mag. there are a few choices for sub sonic and other quieter ammo for pest control and "non attention getting" shooting.

when i'm hunting i prefer the .22 mag as it offers more distance and energy than the 22lr, and is good from squirrels to turkeys, to coyotes. ammo is relatively inexpensive compared to centerfire or the .17 hmr, but more expensive to comparable .22lr bullet types for "plinking". several ammos offer low expanding bullets like fmj and cci gamepoints that are nice for penetration on bigger game (turkeys / coyotes), and more "exposive" v-max and hollowpoint bullets on groundhogs, squirrels (head shots) and so on.

the .17 hmr is the flattest shooting and is phenomenal at longer distances, but gets tossed around in the wind, and with the type of "explosive" tipped ammos currently available, doesn't offer the type of penetration on edible game without excessive tissue damage as some .22 mag ammos offer. is generally more expensive to shoot than the .22lr and mag, but has hands down beats both in trajectory. if i had the $ to afford shooting a few hundred rounds every month with tight groups on paper, and don't plan on shooting any competitions, would probably go with the .17hmr.

there is the sako quad that allows you to use all of them with a barrel change, and the cz 455 that does the same.

as a traditional dedicated caliber / barrel rifle, i would suggest looking into what you actually are trying to accomplish, any future interests that may deviate from the immediate need, and how much your budget will allow you to shoot. and of course do the research that your doing to see which caliber best suits those and anticipated future needs.

hope this helps some.

I've never used the 20 gr. 17 ammo, but from what I've heard it won't blow critters to bits the way the 17 gr. does, and is also better at longer distances than the 17 gr.

Ive tried CCI 20gr .17hmr ammo and i was not impressed... why?

The brass

Perhaps it was a bad batch or something, but any CCI 17hmr ammo that i use has a tendancy to cause split case necks.

Spoke to a few shop owners and they crapped on about headspace problems... bah!!!

If i have a headspace problem why dont the Hornady or Winchester 17HMR rounds cause the same dramas in my rifle?

I put it down to bad annealing at the CCI factory.

Of course these split necks cause extraction problems in my rifle and this is not acceptable, especially on such a tiny case. I need to carry a small screw driver just to achieve this.

For this reason i chose to only shoot Hornady, and that stuff comes in 17gr polymer tips.

Anyone else has similar problems with 17HMR ammo?

I would get the .17 hmr. It is extremely accurate and if you ever need to kill some varmints or anything it will work for you.

Don't know if this applies to all HMR ammo or just the Vmax:

From Linda Olin:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501</div></div>

I have a volquartsen superlight 22 lr and a savage 93blah..blah.. in hmr...i grab the vq 9 out of 10 times. I can should a high quality match grade ammo like sk match for 4 bucks a box vs 11-13 for the 17 hmr. not to mention the 22 is very quite compared to the hmr. i say go with a quality 22 semi...you will really enjoy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spoke to a few shop owners and they crapped on about headspace problems... bah!!!

</div></div>

I'm beginning to notice that gun shop guys don't know much more about guns than what they need to know in order to sell them. My shop guy had never even heard of Nightforce until I told him about mine, and even then he said I should have gone with Leupold because they are the best. But then he didn't understand the idea of matched reticle/turrets. So I just quit. Now I only have 2 questions that I ask:

1) Can you send your FFL info to dealer xxx?
2) Can you get firearm yyy for a comparable price that I can get it online?

In defense of the shop, however, their specialty is antique firearms, and everyone in there knows a great deal about old guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a volquartsen superlight 22 lr </div></div>

I want it! Their superlights are SICK. Pics?

eleaf i have also come to the conclusion that its better to know about stuff by doing your own research than actually asking questions...

The internet almost always has answers to questions whereas the shop guy only knows limited amounts

Had i have not typed "Split 17hmr cases" in google i would never have learnt that CCI have a different case annealing process to Hornady and hence the split necks in my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spoke to a few shop owners and they crapped on about headspace problems... bah!!!

</div></div>

I'm beginning to notice that gun shop guys don't know much more about guns than what they need to know in order to sell them. My shop guy had never even heard of Nightforce until I told him about mine, and even then he said I should have gone with Leupold because they are the best. But then he didn't understand the idea of matched reticle/turrets. So I just quit. Now I only have 2 questions that I ask:

1) Can you send your FFL info to dealer xxx?
2) Can you get firearm yyy for a comparable price that I can get it online?

In defense of the shop, however, their specialty is antique firearms, and everyone in there knows a great deal about old guns. </div></div>

I love going to my local "Man Creche" If there's a newer or flasher scope rifle caliber or something they will have extended their house mortgage's to buy it, which is handy cos im poor, as for the topic I've had a 22mag and a 17 I loved both for different reasons I sold my 17 because i could load .223 ammo for the same price and get more range, but i brought it because i was shooting magpies and rabbits at longer and longer ranges my poor old 22mag was just too worn out for it, the first trip blew me away i could constantly hit rabbits at plus 200m and it still left big holes in them, there's no denying it is a awesome little caliber the guy I sold it to had one already and was buying for a mate of his he said he had just shot a fellow deer the week before with his one amazing for a 17gr pill. As for the mag I'd defiantly buy another.