• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.22 Pistol Recommendation - Poll

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

I'm looking to add a .22 pistol to my collection. Please vote and/or reply with a personal recommendation based on the following requirements:

1) Reliability
2) Accuracy
3) Best trigger (out of the box)
4) Dependability (works w/a large selection of various ammo)

Thanks in advance!

AvsFan

Gent's,

Thanks for all the feedback & recommendations. As stated on page 2 - here's an update in regard to my purchase made today...and the winner is:

A Buck Mark Plus Stainless Black Laminated UDX.

This bad boy is just 1 month old (based on the test fired cartridge envelope - Feb 28 2012). I appreciate all the input - hopefully, I'll be hitting the range tomorrow or next weekend
grin.gif

2elw5zr.jpg

mjuxhs.jpg

Re: .22 Pistol Recommendation - Poll

Ive heard alot of good things about the GSG 1911. Full size, wieght, 80% parts are interchangeable with a real 1911, nice trigger, accurate and pretty dang reliable all at around $380.

I personally love to shoot my S&W model 41, astounding pistol but my be a little costly at around $1000

Make it known that i voted for the browning. even though i shoot a marklll. The ruger trigger can be nice but not out of the box

I like my ruger MK IIs . Same as the ruger mk3s without the laywer BS installed, and slightly different as far as set up. Great shooters and like a Rem 700 there are many quality aftermarket upgrades available.

I also had a Wilson Combat 22lr conversion for my 1911 that was really nice. Unfortunately when I sold my last 5" 1911 my buddy talked me out of that too.

Mk II is better than Mk III if you can find one. These are great and there are a lot of people who can work on them. You can get them integrally suppressed, add an upper than mounts to a suppressor to make them look integrally suppressed. You can get them worked on to turn them into a bullseye gun. Replacement triggers, barrels, and magazines are plentiful.

The Ruger mk II is basically the Remington 700 of the 22LR pistol world. And like the Rem 700, there are better options out there, but they are marginally better and much more expensive.

I have a Beretta Neos 6". The grip profile isn't for everybody, but I like it. I paid $210 for mine, it was previously owned but never fired. I have about 1000 rounds through it with three types of ammo with no issues.

I like the Ruger 22/45 or the Mark II ...

I could of very easily voted Ruger on this one but I was so fond of the MKII's that the MKIII's just don't work for me. I do like the 1911 grip panels on new 22/45 but that's about it and they are costing as much as the standard's, so much for a budget .22lr if that's a concern.

I voted Browning. You can start out with a basic camper model for under 3 bills, shoot the crap outta it, change grips panels, barrels, triggers, etc as time and money permits to get the gun you always wanted. My experience is that they are on par with the MKII's in reliability and have a little better trigger. Haven't shot the newer MKIII's.

LK

The Buckmark and Mark III are both very accurate and reliable. In my opinion, the trigger on the Buckmark is nicer.

If you ever wanted to run a suppressor on the pistol, the Mark III is a little quieter suppressed.

buckmark has the best trigger out of the box and if you check over at rimfire central there is a couple of tricks to making it even better. The ruger does have more aftermarket parts but I like my buckmark better out of the box

I know a lot of people probably haven't shot one, but my Sig Trailside by Hamerli is an awesome rimfire, great trigger (long reset though) and very accurate for me. I picked mine up a few years ago before the prices started hiking, I have probably put more rounds through it than any other gun I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a lot of people probably haven't shot one, but my Sig Trailside by Hamerli is an awesome rimfire, great trigger (long reset though) and very accurate for me. I picked mine up a few years ago before the prices started hiking, I have probably put more rounds through it than any other gun I own. </div></div>

I wish I would have picked one of those up a few years ago when the pricing on them was great.

I really wish Ruger would make that 2245 with a seel frame. It is a great little gun, but the plastic frame is just doesn't work for me. I had one and sold it off.

It would be sweet with some weight in the grip and a 5" bull barrel.

The 41 is a wonderful pistol and the perfect gun depending on intended use and like Greg said its very desirable if you are looking for a piece to add to the collection For me a .22 handgun is a utility piece that I carry in the woods...fishing...frog gigging...etc. In that frame of use the Buckmarks and Rugers are hard to beat. While I would like to have a 41 in the safe it wouldn't get any use except at the range or if I ever took up rimfire silhouette, which I won't. My favorite is a 22/45 with a Tacsol barrel. That set up even with a suppressor is extremely lightweight and a pleasure to carry.

I have a 20 year old 22/45 that I have put thousands of rounds through. I have easily shot it more then any other gun I own? And this was not the plan? I just bought it for a cheap plinker. Just now last month had the trigger worked on and it came out great!
They can be a bitch to put back together till you get the hang of it? That is their biggest fall back imo? Buckmarks just don't sit in my hand right??

I voted the buckmark. I sold my Walther P22 and am looking for a good price on one due to what I have read online about them.

As a knockaround/holster gun, I can find very little to disqualify the Buckmarks.

I think they are very similar to the older High Standard pistols, which were my choice for the rimfire stage of Three-Gun Bullseye Comps.

The 41 would have been the choice if I could have found the money.

Greg

my honest opinion on the best rimfire pistol OOB (out of box) would be a pre owned Ruger MKII. if i really had my choice, i would pick up an older S&W 422, or maybe a 41. i have myself a 422 and it shoots great with any ammo i put through it. trigger isnt the greatest but for an older firearm i am able to handle it to get adequate group for my purpose.

I just picked up a S&W M&P22 pistol that seems pretty sweet. If you had a full size M&P pistol, I would think this would be the obvious choice for you.

I vote for the Ruger Bearcat. Revolvers are very reliable, and work with any .22lr ammo. It is more accurate than I am.

Read sinister's post. That is all I need to know about .22 semi auto handguns.

I went with the Ruger MKIII. But, I don't like the loaded chamber indicator etc. If I was going to replace my MKII, I would probably by a volquartsen scorpion and put some normal grips on it. I keep hoping they will make a 22/45 frame.

I also like the freedom arms 97 in 22lr.

I really enjoy my buckmark bullseye! I chose the buckmark over the ruger because the trigger seemed much nicer than the model available and Gander Mountain when I purchased it ten years ago. Had I bought the ruger I may feel the same about it now. But I have zero regrets going with the browning!

Repeating myself but I've owned 3 different Buckmarks at one time or another. The factory mags work, it has a very good trigger IMO, barrel removal for cleaning isn't too complicated, and accuracy is acceptable. Only pistols I've ever owned that ran whatever ammo I put in them.

You can buy replacement barrels, including pre-threaded. That's how I'd go if I was ever looking to suppress. It's a much better choice than the P22 that seems to break major parts after many rounds IMO.

There's others that are more accurate for sure, but not at the same price. You can make a Ruger cost as much as an old High Standard or you can buy an old High Standard and deal with the magazines.

Just found in general the Browning feeds better. Had 3 rugers the feed was tempermental on all of them...

Dave

The S&W 41 is a tack-driver and is very reliable.

My buckmark has been very reliable and has a great trigger from the factory. The factory Ruger trigger is not as crisp or light as the trigger on the Buckmark.

the smith and wesson m&p22 is a sweet gun for the money. going for 360 otd around where I live, plan on getting one for the misses at some point

I just shot my M&P 22 pistol for the first time today. I tested about 10 different types of ammo through it. All testing was done using a suppressor. With the exception of some old Winchester Expert ammo it ran flawlessly. It is much more reliable than my P22. I will try to do a little write up on it when I get a chance.

High Standard Supermatic Citation...

OR

Ruger MkII Competition Target (slabside 6 7/8").

Reliability: Both of these pistols are very reliable. My wife's 1959 Citation is all original and my Comp Target has over 20 bricks of ammo through it with zero failures.

Accuracy: You will never be able to shoot as well as either of these guns are capable of. Not trying to be a wiseass, but either of these guns is capable of shooting into one very small ragged hole at 25 yards from a rest.

Best trigger: The Supermatic has to be felt to be believed...light, no creep, and no overtravel. The Ruger can benefit from a drop-in trigger kit or a good 'smith's attention, but it certainly isn't bad.

Dependability: So far, the Citation has not proven to be too finicky, but I've only tried about eight different types of ammo at this point. My Ruger really doesn't care what you feed it. (It is more than passably accurate with anything as well...even the old "Junior" Russian steel-cased stuff.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High Standard Supermatic Citation...

OR

Ruger MkII Competition Target (slabside 6 7/8").

Reliability: Both of these pistols are very reliable. My wife's 1959 Citation is all original and my Comp Target has over 20 bricks of ammo through it with zero failures.

Accuracy: You will never be able to shoot as well as either of these guns are capable of. Not trying to be a wiseass, but either of these guns is capable of shooting into one very small ragged hole at 25 yards from a rest.

Best trigger: The Supermatic has to be felt to be believed...light, no creep, and no overtravel. The Ruger can benefit from a drop-in trigger kit or a good 'smith's attention, but it certainly isn't bad.

Dependability: So far, the Citation has not proven to be too finicky, but I've only tried about eight different types of ammo at this point. My Ruger really doesn't care what you feed it. (It is more than passably accurate with anything as well...even the old "Junior" Russian steel-cased stuff.)

</div></div>
http://www.highstandard.com/weapons-a-products/weapons/85.html

I've shot a lot of 22 pistols, non of them have I ever enjoyed as much as my HD Military. The company has changed hands several times since the 50's and appears to be part of the same group as Interarms and AMT. FWIW if they still make the same product to the same specs then it should both outshoot you and outlast you.

I own both a Browning buckmark and a ruger mark 3 (22/45). I like that the 22/45 is threaded from the factory. Aside from that its hard to go wrong with either.

If you can get your hands on a S&W 422 or 622 they are great little pistols. Trigger his superb and crisp and all the ones I have shot have been very accurate, even with the cheap stuff.

The barrel is actually on the bottom half of the upper part of the pistol and its a fixed barrel. You can see it poking out at the front. I have one that looks like this one but mine is all black.

15x4ky9.jpg

If I were to own a High Standard (again) it would be a Victor.

I owned one of the Supermatic Citations; mainly because I couldn't afford my own S&W 41. Loved it, but also found it was temperamental about magazines and feeding. Magazine lips needed to be tuned, and it wasn't a job for amateurs. Aftermarket mags were especially bad about this. Have shot the Mitchells, they work fine, but the one I was using had durability issues. I have heard better reports about the successors to Mitchell.

Shot the 22/45. Enh... You don't need the grip angle to do anything better than the basic Ruger already does, and the magazines are only good with the 22/45.

Greg

Ruger 22/45

I purchased 2 of these last year for my boys. They are not old enough yet to shoot so I get to play with them. I also have a MkII and a S&W 41, both are good but over all I think the 22/45 are the total package. I have ran a ton of different ammo through them and the only hiccup was with the cheap russian biathlon ammo.

I bought this colt auto years ago on a trip through the gun shop, it just fit my hand so good. Then went out and found out it was an accurate little guy. Been in love with it ever since.
IMG_1393.jpg

If it was me, Unsuppressed: Browning Buckmark Contour URX 5.5 or 7.25 Suppressed: GSG 1911 with lots of extra goodies

Does it have to be a semiauto? I have a awesome little Taurus 94. Nine shot revolver.speed loaders are available and it has a pretty decent trigger.

Get the GSG1911! I've got 5000+ rounds through mine with maybe 3-4 failures to feed and that was ammo issues. I've shot every kind if ammo possible and it just keeps on trucking. I added a SA magwell, Alumagrips, short trigger and the same safety I use on all my 1911s. It's now identical in size and weight to my carry gun. Function 100% with a suppressor and cycles with most subsonic ammo.