• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .22 Shooting, what is a better route

maxpower220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
Pensacola, FL
I just sold a DE .50, so I have money to purchase a new gun. I currently have a G19 and a PPK (CCW). I love both of them and shoot well with them. I also have a Ruger 10/22 which I enjoy shooting and most of all I enjoy the cost of .22 shooting.
So, I want a .22 handgun. What is a better route? 1. Buy a Ruger MK III or Beretta Neos. 2. Buy a conversion kit for the G19. or 3. Buy a different kind of .22 (1911 style or P22).

9mm is cheap enough that I can practice with the G19 without needed a conversion, but shooting the same platform sounds appealing. Lastly, it is very important to me that the weapon function properly (i.e. I don't want a conversion if it jams all of the time). The shooting will all be done at the range.
Mostly, I don't want to buy something and wish I had gone a "better" route. Sometimes, people bring up points that I had not thought about, so I pose the question.

Re: .22 Shooting, what is a better route

If the conversion kit for your G19 is done well I would opt for that.

I have shot those Glock conversions and they never seem to run right. I haven't put a good variety of ammo through them however.

The Ruger's are best of breed for .22 handguns, I happen to own a Browning Buckmark that runs very well on certain ammo types, namely MiniMags.

Something to chew on.. I shoot steel plate matches the first Sunday of every month. The folks that shoot rimfire class (non-revolver) are mostly shooting Rugers. In fact I'm one of the few shooting a Browning, and you rarely see the Mosquito, Neos, P22 or any conversion gun.

The ruger Mark III with a pac lite upper is my 22 handgun of choice. You should check out a suppressor to go with that too!

P-22s (and Mosquitos ) are cheap, breakable, junk.
AA ,22 kits for Glocks run well with MiniMags, and some run well with other ammo. Reasonably accurate and very lightweight (aluminum slide on plastic grip).
Ruger pistols ( and Buckmarks) are the go-to pistols in the $300-400 range, giving decades of reliable service.
The only conversions with great accuracy are CZ Kadet pistols or conversions, and Marvel or AA/Marvel conversions for 1911s.
The CZ is my favorite .22 pistol...after the S&W M-41.

I don't own a conversion for the Glock but a buddy of mine uses his a lot teaching NRA basic pistol courses. I can't remember if his is picky with ammo selection or not. The only times I've been around while it was being used it had zero problems. Like I said though, I'm not sure what ammo he was using. He had a huge ziplock bag full but it didn't appear to be mismatched.

My RF pistols that see the most use would have to be my MKII/paclite and my Kimber conversion I use on SA TRP. The Ruger ran pretty much everything I've fed it both with and w/o the can.

I chose the Kimber b/c it was the only unit with a choice of finishes. Since my TRP is stainless I went with the "stainless" look. Not an exact match but fairly close. The conversion from Kimber runs the 40gr MiniMags well. The 38's don't seem to agree with it though. A few months back I bought a CZ75 SA and have been trying to convince myself that I don't need another conversion. Frog's post is not helping with that
wink.gif

My AA kit for my Glocks have fired more than 2 .50cal ammo cans of Remington Golden bullets in the past six months. Problems are few and when there is it's usually an ammo problem or the kit is just plain filthy. The AA kits are plenty accurate and are a great training tool due to using the same holster, sights, trigger, mag pouches, and magazines are very similar. Great investment.

dlc356, it's easy, Kadet kits are nearly $400 unless you find a smoking deal, as I did. That ought to discourage you. Heck, it would take 3 or 4 bulk packs to pay it off vs a similar # of 9MM rounds. Mine resides on an 85B Combat satin nickel. (half of the Dual Tone).
Easily my favorite conversion, though the AA G-19 was my favorite before the Kadet.

The CZ has virtually a fixed barrel; you fit it to YOUR frame. The instructions show where to file for a fit. It's all steel, so it feels just like the CF gun. The only shortcoming is the M-41 style slide arrangement leaves you with about 1/4" of serrated slide to grab from the sides, so if you do a Clint Smith style over-the-top slingshot slide drop, you're a little inhibited.
I actually bought the kit before the 9MM.
Others in inventory Include a Ciener HP Plus for the P-35, a Kimber for the Pro CDP, and a whole mess of .22 AR uppers.

The Sig Classics are interesting, but I don't have the centerfire setup for my P-220-22. See, it has this Sig trigger, and I got sort of spoiled by the CZ. A damn sight better than a Mosquito, though; it's at least a real firearm.

Lastly I just bought another AAkit, this one for a G-17, which I don't own yet (see a trend here?). I plan to put it on a CCF steel Glock frame, see how a heavy Glock .22 feels.

There are Glock frames on GB for $158'260 or so, depending on generation and model (new Gen 3 G-19s seem highest). Mate that to an AA kit and you have a featherweight plinker/trainer/field gun.

It's a disease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gallonoffuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot those Glock conversions and they never seem to run right. I haven't put a good variety of ammo through them however.</div></div>

I have six (6) Advantage Arms .22lr rimfire conversion kits on various Glocks, and I have never had any issues with a single one of the kits. I only use the 550-round Remington Golden bullet value packs.

Conversion kit lets you keep the same trigger.

Worth rollin the dice.

Thanks for the inputs. I have been shopping around at my options. The conversion kits from AA are on backorder right now, but they do make threaded barrels. I like that aspect. I really like the feel, size of the Beretta Neos. I know that the Ruger MkIII is probably the gun to buy. Gun show in a couple of weeks, maybe more options there.

Local dealer made me a deal that I couldn't refuse on a Beretta Neos. Thanks for the inputs.

I really enjoy using the Advantage Arms conversion kits.

Ruger MK II oldschool.

Everyone legally able should own one or three.

I see no problem with buying a conversion kit. If you go the 1911 route, I can vouch for the Kimber conversion I had. Never had a single issue with it. I think it was $350. For that price, you could have a p22. Go to your range, rent some guns, and plink away. This is prolly the easiest way to figure it out.

SS

Conversion kits are cool but look for a target 22 made by high standard they shoot divine I had a 10X made by Bob Shea it was lost to a thief today it is worth 4500.00 NIB gee I wish I still had mine . It was hand fitted and really shot well 22 lr hand guns are great fun I see CDNN has some Russian match guns for sale.

<span style="color: #000099">A Advantage Arms target kit for your Glock 19 will fill your needs. I have one on my Glock 23 and it is accurate enough to shoot matches. It won't do a 3/4 inch group at 50 meters like my marvel unit on my 1911 but it is close depending on the ammo you feed it. Mine will shoot anything but some better than others.</span>

Ruger slab side target MKII works for me. I hate the MKIII with the big ass cocking indicator and mag safety.

thos ISSC glock imitation 22s have been getting a pretty good following from what ive been reading plus their what 250 or less? similiar to your g19, obviously different trigger and what.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thos ISSC glock imitation 22s have been getting a pretty good following from what ive been reading plus their what 250 or less? similiar to your g19, obviously different trigger and what. </div></div>

Similar to your G19 NOT!
Hammer, SAO, decocker. How the hell is that similar to a G19?
Oh, it LOOKS like a G19...AS LONG AS YOU DON'T LOOK AT THE REAR OF THE SLIDE.

SAO/ decocker. WHAT??!!?? You have to thumb cock?

I just bought (on GB) a Gen 2 G19 frame ($200 shipped) to put under my AA 19-23LE kit. Daughter ran off to Houston with the original Gen3 I had. Darned thing has the orange New York trigger, so I guess a little parts swap is in order.
But it runs great, and I have 4 mags, so all sorts of games are possible.

I get a little excited when people start talking about cheap imported zinc pistols.
With our protective tariffs, what must the production cost be on a gun selling here for $300 or less?
I realize things are a little different here than over on RFC, with a lot of NEW shooters there, and I's assumed that everybody here already has a good .22 (Ruger, Buckmark, S&W).
But I just go nuts when I see somebody about to shell out hard won coin for a zinc toy ( P-22, Mosquito, ISSC M-22, ATI, Chiappa)when an heirloom quality gun is available for little or no more money.

I hear it's a sign of senility when you start to repeat yourself.

I am a bullseye competitor(mater class rifle too). The conversions are very popular because the grip and trigger are the same as main weapon. This is a big deal in bullseye(50 yards with one hand). I am not accomplished action shooter but I do compete and everything about the draw and indexing the site by having a consistent grip is a big deal in my opinion. Get a good conversion. Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruger slab side target MKII works for me. I hate the MKIII with the big ass cocking indicator and mag safety. </div></div>

Yeah I have a MKII slabside target as well, then just picked up a MKIII target 5.5" bull and didnt realize it had the mag safety. Well I just took my upper to get threaded so I did some work and got rid of the mag safety. Quite simple if you feel like doing it.

Disassemble upper from lower. Take your left grip panel off. Carefully pull the pin that goes through the slide release and hammer out, dont pull it all the way, just enough to remove the hammer. If your safety falls out be careful there is a detent that can fly out of it.

Remove the stamped steel piece and spring that ride on the hammer shaft. Trim the spring ends off so that it is only a circle with no legs (just used as a washer basically). Then take the stamped piece (mag safety) and cut the front of it off so that it is round on the front, you have to leave the rear leg on it.

Reassemble, enjoy shooting without a magazine.

And to the OP, I wouldve looked way past the Neos. I work at Gander mtn, we have had 3 NEOS' in the past few weeks that came out of the box and immediately had to be sent back to Beretta for malfunctioning slides. By far the biggest POS in our gun case as far as 22's go, even more than the Mosquito that MIGHT shoot CCI minimags if anything at all. No offense, some people have ok luck with the NEOS.

conversion unit if your looking to do low cost training with the same platform as your "regular' sidearm. same grip, trigger, draw, holster, etc.

for a dedicated target pistol the mkii ruger slabside is REALLY tough to beat, almost not fun after 25 rounds as you not only hit what you aim at, but basically make a hole the size of a half dollar at 25 yards.