• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Steel Targets

Poirierpro

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2020
For those of you that train for NRL22 type matches, what’s a good set of targets/sizes to get started with?

Atlas targets so far I feel is the best quality and I've gone through all 3 of the major steel suppliers of NRL22 targets.

Have you tried JC Steel?

I use Atlas Target Works for rimfire and center fire and I have never had a failure. Also every NRL 22 match in South Dakota uses Atlas Target Works steel and they do not have failures during a match. The owner also shoots NRL22 and is always making new targets and trying them at matches to see how well they will work before selling them.

Yep, and DM Targets.

DM Targets Pro Spinner is fantastic.

I like the spikes, hooks, stands, kyls from Atlas target works.
Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence man! If you like DM's pro spinner, I'm going to be releasing a new spinner this week that has bearings (which is a much better fit for rimfire) and an added feature that I haven't seen on the market yet and makes for a really fun target to shoot.

Reactions: littlepod
If you want to train specifically for NRL22.....go buy a NRL22 target kit.

A tad spendy. But setting up the actual stages versus just gathering dope on a few random sized plates....its a no brainer. Cuz if you think you fellow competitors aren't doing it...your crazy.
There are several companies making NRL22 target sets. I've used 3 brands so far, and I agree, the atlas sets are by far the best quality, and the price is if anything a little lower than the other 2.

Brad also has some really decent stands for the NRL22 uprights that make them free standing, and uses a more secure hook design that has pretty much eliminated us having targets come off the hook during matches.

Just my 2¢.

If you want to train specifically for NRL22.....go buy a NRL22 target kit.

A tad spendy. But setting up the actual stages versus just gathering dope on a few random sized plates....its a no brainer. Cuz if you think you fellow competitors aren't doing it...your crazy.
Agreed, if you are not worried about the initial cost the nrl22 kit is the way to go. Setting up an actual stage versus coming up with a pattern on your own was a big help for me when I started.

Reactions: Poirierpro
Mike Smith out of Phoenix, AZ. Makes very nice KYL/TYL targets.

Solid & heavy duty construction. Think he offers centerfire sized also.

Send me a PM if you are interested. I don't want to post his contact info online.

Attachments

• KYL.jpeg
    KYL.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Poirierpro
Mine was made by my local steel supplier. It was little over half what the NRL charged....and I didn't have to ship it. Brad is a local guy to me. His stands are the major jump in performance. Being able to plop a stand down with its target on it and continue walking on with no post pounding is really nice. Makes setting up matches easy.

I hope next season the target kit is expanded again.
Did you sketch up your own targets or is there a published set of sketches to take to someone with a CNC plasma cutter or waterjet?

I second Mike's targets. Quality construction, I have several sets of his.

Do they make NRL22 target sets? Because that was the question asked

I've bought some of their products which are designed for .22LR but not for some time. So I don't know what they have on hand for .22LR.

Better to know about the web site and not need it than to not know about it but need it.

EDIT: Challenge targets does have .22LR steel products. It's been a while since I purchased some of their steel but if I recall correctly they offer a veteran/military/LEO discount. You have to phone them for that.