• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Trainers?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I am considering the purpose of a CZ 455 Manners Precision Trainer. I know its pricey at $800-900, but I want the best. I would use it mainly for precision rifle training, as well as a way to burn range time while I wait for my AE barrel to cool between firing string while I perfect a load. What are you guys using, and do you find it a beneficial training tool?

Ive got a cheapo savage fvsr that I couldnt be happier with. The stock is garbage but it eats up cci sv to moa groups at 100 on calm days. With the sparrow on the end and subs its wickedly quiet. Ive found myslef leaving it at the house quite a bit when im going to do load development. I end up getting distracted playing with it and run out of time to test my loads.

I have a cz 455 precision trainer and the gun is awesome. I think they are totally worth the $800. You should definitely get one if you can.

Actually the best would be a Rem 40x "b", then you could put it in any stock you want.

And yes its a very very helpful tool.

I have a 455 with the wood stock, and love it. I can only imagine how much nicer it would be in a Manners stock. Mine is very accurate with Wolf Match Extra. I did add a cheek pad and a Yo Dave trigger kit which made a big difference. That said, I also have several Remington 40x's, and they have an altogether different feel, not to mention that they are super accurate. The only issue with them for me is that like most dedicated target .22s, they are single shot rifles. You can have them modified to repeaters, but by the time you do that and put it into a quality stock you'll be about 2K into it. Something to think about. I was going to do that with one of mine, but just couldn't bring myself to hacking up an original civilian 40x. Therefore, I also have an Anschutz MPR, and a Winchester 52C with a 5 round mag that shoots extremely accurate with SK Standard ammo. There are lots of ways to go, but it's hard to beat a CZ 455 Varmint at about $400.00, and add the stock later if you like for under $600.00. You might be very happy without the stock after you try it like I was.

Ive got a cheapo savage fvsr that I couldnt be happier with. The stock is garbage but it eats up cci sv to moa groups at 100 on calm days. With the sparrow on the end and subs its wickedly quiet. Ive found myslef leaving it at the house quite a bit when im going to do load development. I end up getting distracted playing with it and run out of time to test my loads.

Anyone have one of the Savage MK II TR? I was considering one and have seen a few under $400.

Sully

I'm curious about this model also, there are two at my LGS (almost 500.00 though).
Same gun as the FVSR except its got a little longer none threaded barrel and comes in basically a boyds tacticool stock. I chose the FVSR because you don't gain any velocity with 22lr over 16" and it comes threaded. The FVSRs can be found for 250 easily and then you've got money to buy a nice stock and be better than the TR or TRSR.

Last edited:
How about a CZ 455 heavy barrel in a boyd's tacticool:

image_zps7d9f2e63.jpg

it's quite a shooter with Wolf MT (50 yd target)

image_zps95c61116.jpg

Last edited:
I am done with Rimfire, after 51 years of it. 223 are my trainers now and I need all the training I can get.
Savage are good from the box or get their support. CZ are pretty unbelievable. Quality and no soft steel issues. There are Anshutz also. I would say a 452 American has the best odds of instant and long lasting gratification of them all for 400.00. Crummy trigger, superb barrels and stock work. 453 trigger is no asset.

I had a TR and sold it for a FVSR. I made some pretty consistent hits on a 6in target at 300 yards with the TR and Remington Viper ammo. I was maxed out on elevation and using the last mil dot and a massive wind hold on 6 power ha-ha. I'd say I had 14/20 hits on a 5mph day at that distance on that target. I sold it because it was just too long for a handy .22 trainer. I dropped the FVSR in a Boyd's stock and it shoots an average of an MOA at 100 all day long with CCI SV. I haven't taken it past 175 yards but it hits clay's all day long at that distance. Ill attach some groups. I haven't shot a CZ PT but they look awesome but hell when your at over a grand in a .22 it kind of defeats the purpose in my mind. But hell if I had an extra 5-600 laying around id probably order a manners or MCM for the FVSR just cause ha-ha. But in all seriousness the FVSR in a tacticool is amazing. I've dropped my rifle plenty of times and shot it in the pouring rain and it has not skipped a beat. Also, the accutrigger can be adjusted down to about 2lbs If you adjust it down as low as you can go stock, then cut a coil off and re install. Its almost as light and is definitely as crisp as my Jewell on my 700...

Here are some average groups at 100 with a bipod and rear bag 5-10 MPH winds with CCI SV

and here is a miracle group shot at 100 on a 90 degree day with zero wind, didn't set the calipers to .220 so the group is .482 MOA

Edit: On all groups but the last I was using a Mil-Dot to hold on target not the cross hair's. As I was Zeroed for 175. They were all shot on the same 50 degree day in rapid succession with only time to load the mag in between groups. Probably would have been all Sub-MOA if I used cross hair and waited between groups but who knows...

Last edited:
I have a CZ455 VPT and love it.

I have a Timney trigger on it.

I have a Manners T4A and Timney on my Rem 700, so they feel a lot alike.

I have a CZ455 VPT and love it.

I have a Timney trigger on it.

I have a Manners T4A and Timney on my Rem 700, so they feel a lot alike.

I have a savage mkii tr in .22. I like it and it is pretty darn accurate. That being said after spending some time with it, I'm not a fan of the soft wood stock and am planning on a manners stock in the spring. If I had gone with the 455 pt that wouldn't be an issue. The savage is fine and I think with a new stock I will like it much better, but if I were to do it again I would buy the CZ, it has a nicer action and better stock.