• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 - 5.56

At the range and the 85RDF with 24.5 Varget is at 2881

Attachments

• FB103CBF-00AE-4BAA-84A1-D46C350F14DD.jpeg
    FB103CBF-00AE-4BAA-84A1-D46C350F14DD.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: Bender
80.5 Berger bullets
25.5 grns varget
cci benchrest small rifle primers
Norma brass
10 ths off lands

avg 2955 fps out of brux 26 in barrell
6.5 twist

Reactions: reich10
1 in 8 bolt gun, should I try 70 RDF, 77 Custom Comp or 77RDF in front of 24 gr Varget or RL15 with .020 jump? Is anybody using the 77 Custom Comp or RDF? I've searched this thread and found nothing on the Noslers.

Bill

Haven't started shoot it yet. Just trying to decide what to start with. This is a 20 inch barrel, so speed will be limited. 1 in 8, so I am sure it will not stablize the 85 RDF. Have your tried the Nosler 77 custom competition bullet or 77 RDF?

Bill

Yes and they are ok but lack in consistency from bullet to bullet. Different base to ogives as much as .004

+ 2000 on 23.4 grains of 8208xbr under a 77 grain Nosler custom competition in L/C brass. Shot sub MOA at 100 yards and near minute of guy holding the rifle at 600 yards... if you use SMKs, I bet it will do a bit better...

Does anyone know if the Hornady 75gr HPBT likes a jump or does it like being close to the lands?

+ 2000 on 23.4 grains of 8208xbr under a 77 grain Nosler custom competition in L/C brass. Shot sub MOA at 100 yards and near minute of guy holding the rifle at 600 yards... if you use SMKs, I bet it will do a bit better...

my load is 23.1 XBR with a 77 tmk seated max mag length and its 1/2 moa load out of my mk12 mod 1. CLE Douglas on it. Sub softball size rock at 615 yards. And 680 was hitting the 6” plate over and over. Boring accurate

I ran 73 ELDs with quite a bit of jump and they shot good. Similar ogive

The reason I ask is because I was given a Savage model 11 in 223. The rifle is pretty accurate with the same ammo I use for my AR pistol. The magazine is stupid long for a 223 round. I bought a 223 Hornady modified case and from base to ogive was 1.960 with the 75gr bullet. If I remember correctly the mag will let me seat out to 2.455 for the cartridge.

i made some dummy rounds and they are 2.331 COAL. Here they are sitting in the mag. I'm going to be using this rifle for my son and as a trainer rifle also.
IMG_20200202_082728869.jpg

Well I tried the RDFs. View attachment 7146407View attachment 7146408 RDF 85 24.5 Varget. The bottom row was shot first a then the top. Looks like the .010 is the one I will be working with.

It's weird because I could never get the 264 RDFs to shoot out of my RPR. A lot of people have have said they love a huge jump, like .100 of a jump. I gave up trying with them. Glad to see you found a good grouping with them.

Reactions: Vaportrail22
I’m running an 18” ar and made loads on the edge of pressure with the 73 elds and they were zooming. I shot a rock chunk at 200 yards and flipped it like a prarie dog. The problem I have with Hornady is the runout between lots. I would get random 4-5” high fliers at 400. Switched to the 77 TMKs and loaded up 3,000 rounds with them. Killed a buck mule deer at 500 yards and an antelope at 230 and they preformed flawlessly
LC brass ‘12 and ‘13
77 TMK
23.1 grains of 8208 XBR
CCI 400
2,750 FPS out of 18” douglas
Accuracy 1/2 moa and will hold 3/4-1 moa at 600. Shot it out to 900 with good accuracy

I know this is only one grouping. But this was during my load development. I will get a bunch of groups next week. My son shot out to 419 yards with this load and had about a 50% hit rate on steel plates. Very proud of him.

Reactions: jetsurgeon
Did some load work up on a 25 inch Bartlein. Haven’t tried the 85.5’s but the 80 eld is hard to beat the BC and price

Attachments

• B3D44A70-DF62-4EC2-A89A-110EDA29E401.jpeg
    B3D44A70-DF62-4EC2-A89A-110EDA29E401.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 283F9EC1-5F73-4ACF-8A9C-D5BA8800A7F7.jpeg
    283F9EC1-5F73-4ACF-8A9C-D5BA8800A7F7.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 234
Going to start working up loads with a 75ELD-M with Lapua brass in a 1/7 twist 26” barrel. I plan on doing an OCW test with a couple different powders listed below. What should my starting and stopping charge weights for each powder be?

8208: 23- 24.5 in .2gr increments?
Varget: 22.8-25
H4895: 23.5-24.8

Last edited:
Going to start working up loads with a 75ELD-M with Lapua brass in a 1/7 twist 26” barrel. I plan on doing an OCW test with a couple different powders listed below. What should my starting and stopping charge weights for each powder be?

How did your testing go with those powders? I’m contemplating on which one of those to use.

How did your testing go with those powders? I’m contemplating on which one of those to use.
Nothing yet. I’m traveling for work and need to pick up some 8208. I was just hoping to nail down the charges I was going to try beforehand. After looking around it seems like most people find there load between the ranges I gave for each powder

Reactions: Truck Fireman
Haven't started shoot it yet. Just trying to decide what to start with. This is a 20 inch barrel, so speed will be limited. 1 in 8, so I am sure it will not stablize the 85 RDF. Have your tried the Nosler 77 custom competition bullet or 77 RDF?

Bill

I know this post is from 2019, but I run the Nosler 77 gr Custom Comps in my .223 Wylde bolt gun with 8208XBR. I load to 23.2gr, at .015 off the lands. I’m using a 1/8 twist 22” barrel and get 2793 fps.

I also tested the 77gr RDF and they are hammering too. I’m running those at 23.4gr of 8208XBR at about 2850 fps. I jump them .030.

Last edited:
finally got a .223 put together. bought a used barrel, 24" muellerworks 1:7.5 twist throated for the 75g ELD.

75g ELD
Virgin Lapua Brass
CCI 450
23.5g H4895
@2845fps
SD = 7
Jumped .040"
under 1/2 moa

stupid fun.

i didn't prep the brass at all, just loaded it and shot.

i got up to 24.5g @ 3020fps before I saw even minimal signs of pressure (primers started cratering a touch). but not bad at all.

Re: Loads for .223- 5.56

20" Rockriver Varminator(predator/varmint hybrid)
1:8 twist
Win brass
OAL standard
AA2520 24.7
77smk

69gr bullet (seems not to care about make)
26gr AA2520
2950fps
my standard load
With that twist rate how do the heavies do? I have a 1:8 24in Wilson and anything heavier than a 62 doesn't do well at all. It has a match chamber thinkin about goin wylde

I've had a Bushmaster Varminter for quite a while and it great for hunting but was hit and miss on accurate or tight grouping loads. I think a factory Hornady 55gr varmint load shot reasonably well out of it. Then I was looking at some old data and found this load and it was amazing.

WW brass
WW primers
53gr Hornady Match
25gr IMR 4064
Bushmaster 24" 1:9 twist barrel
SpecWar 7.62 Suppressor
3077 Avg fps
Best 3 shot group @ 100yds .219 MOA

i-BJ2bpmB-S.jpg

i-MNm9RZs-M.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Michael396
Here's my 800m LR .223 load:

Brass: Lapua
Bullet: 80gr Berger VLD
Primer: CCI BR4
Powder: Varget 23.8gr
Seating: .010" jump (ogive oal measurement: 1.870")
Barrel: 26" Benchmark varmint profile 1:8"
Velocity: 2915fps 10 shot Ave ES=16 SD=7.1
Environmentals: temp=+17c, R.H.=45% ASL=1124m wind=n/a

Here's an 11 shot group at 800m (the low shot is my sighter):

DSCN1906.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my 500m gopher gun load...

Brass: Lapua
Bullet: 69gr Sierra SMK
Primer: CCI BR4
Powder: BLC-2 26.6gr
Seating: .010" jump (ogive oal measurement: 1.885")
Barrel: 25" factory CZ varmint profile 1:9"
Velocity: 2994fps 10 shot Ave ES=19 SD=7.8
Environmentals: temp=+21c R.H.=33% ASL=683m wind=n/a

DSCN0212.jpg

Anyone give the 77RDF a shot yet? What is it tending to like with regards to there Lands?

Going to try slinging them out of a 20" with AR Comp for tac class.

Wanted to ping you 75gr ELDM reloaders:

I have impact Bartlein 24” 1-7 barrel, assuming it’s just a SAAMI spec chamber.

I cannot find a consistent accuracy node, I’ve tried .020 to .050, does this round like to be AT the lands? It’s grouping at 1moa. Comparatively with 77gr BlackHills I easily get those sub .5 groups all day, and those suckers are under mag length and jumping forever.

What do you guys think?

Wanted to ping you 75gr ELDM reloaders:

I have impact Bartlein 24” 1-7 barrel, assuming it’s just a SAAMI spec chamber.

I cannot find a consistent accuracy node, I’ve tried .020 to .050, does this round like to be AT the lands? It’s grouping at 1moa. Comparatively with 77gr BlackHills I easily get those sub .5 groups all day, and those suckers are under mag length and jumping forever.

What do you guys think?

What powder? What charge? What load development did you do? Targets?

What powder? What charge? What load development did you do? Targets?
LC brass
Federal Small Rifle
Varget
24.5gr-25.4gr
MV 2800-2900
10rds ladder at .2gr increments
I’m getting SDs of 5-9, I stopped messing with the charge because I never got the accuracy I was looking for. 24.8 is a good SD, I started playing with the depth a bunch but I honestly became a little frustrated with this guy and worked on other stuff.
I’ll get at an MOA group, just not seeing that knot tying accuracy I thought I would get after 70 rds of testing.

I need to pull up my log book for what my measurements were. I was hopeful someone had the same barrel setup and tonight I might compare loads.

For what it’s worth, this is my trainer and I’m considering using it my Mammoth gun secondary, was hoping these 75s would buck the wind a little better than my 77gr box black hills. I have several thousand of those down the tube.

Last edited:
LC brass
Federal Small Rifle
Varget
24.5gr-25.4gr
MV 2800-2900
10rds ladder at .2gr increments
I’m getting SDs of 5-9, I stopped messing with the charge because I never got the accuracy I was looking for. 24.8 is a good SD, I started playing with the depth a bunch but I honestly became a little frustrated with this guy and worked on other stuff.
I’ll get at an MOA group, just not seeing that knot tying accuracy I thought I would get after 70 rds of testing.

I need to pull up my log book for what my measurements were. I was hopeful someone had the same barrel setup and tonight I might compare loads.

Where your ladder target? You do know you arent looking for accuracy in a ladder or OCW when picking a charge weight right? Thats not the point of a ladder or OCW. Your looking for a node (consecutive charges with the same POI). Accuracy is to be ignored at this stage... Just because 24.8gr has good SD's isnt an identifier its your node... Thats your problem. From my extensive load development/testing with Varget and H4895 and 75 ELD's in 5 different barrels you already started your starting charge weight too high...

If I was you, I would redo your initial load development properly from 24.0-25.0gr in .2gr increments. Looking for the node, ignoring group size. Once you have done that, found your node, and selected a charge in the center of the node THENNNN you can do seating depth testing to tighten the groups (if needed)... I do all initial load development @ .02 off.

Here's my initial OCW before seating depth testing with Varget and H4895 and 75 ELD

Varget OCW

Varget Seating Depth Test After selecting charge in node

H4895 OCW

H4895 Seating Depth After Selecting charge in node

Last edited:
Where your ladder target? You do know you arent looking for accuracy in a ladder or OCW when picking a charge weight right? Thats not the point of a ladder or OCW. Your looking for a node (consecutive charges with the same POI). Accuracy is to be ignored at this stage... Just because 24.8gr has good SD's isnt an identifier its your node... Thats your problem. From my extensive load development/testing with Varget and H4895 and 75 ELD's in 5 different barrels you already started your starting charge weight too high...

If I was you, I would redo your initial load development properly from 24.0-25.0gr in .2gr increments. Looking for the node, ignoring group size. Once you have done that, found your node, and selected a charge in the center of the node THENNNN you can do seating depth testing to tighten the groups (if needed)... I do all initial load development @ .02 off.

Here's my initial OCW before seating depth testing with Varget and H4895 and 75 ELD

Varget OCW

H4895 OCW

Hmm I’ll go back to the drawing board this week, I’ll be more methodical about recording the results. I’ll get the pictures, I will start with a longer seating depth too. I got a little spoiled lately landing into good results out of the gate, looking at it, I see I short stroked this one.

Hmm I’ll go back to the drawing board this week, I’ll be more methodical about recording the results. I’ll get the pictures, I will start with a longer seating depth too. I got a little spoiled lately landing into good results out of the gate, looking at it, I see I short stroked this one.

I did that before too.

Reactions: JustSendit
Anyone give the 77RDF a shot yet? What is it tending to like with regards to there Lands?

Going to try slinging them out of a 20" with AR Comp for tac class.
This was my initial test using a 22” .223 Wylde barrel at .030 off the lands. This was last year and haven’t tried closer to the lands yet. I was using 8208XBR.
0BE1F5B0-5357-45A0-9437-CD6C33BD4DB2.jpeg

This was my initial test using a 22” .223 Wylde barrel at .030 off the lands. This was last year and haven’t tried closer to the lands yet. I was using 8208XBR.

Id pick 23.2 and try some seating depth. Thats a great little node.

Thanks for the info, bought a box of 100 to try. FWIW i had more success with me 175 RDFs farther out (.060) than close. If you ever use then again keep that in mind if closer doesn't do it

Reactions: shotdown
Well I just tried Shooters World Precision powder. looks like I will need to work with 23.3 and 23.9 to start out with. I was running Varget 24.5 with 80.5 Bergers. The groups were shot with 80.5 Bergers.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_119.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_119.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 176
  • CskdHsZKRB2d1rb51r840g.jpg
    CskdHsZKRB2d1rb51r840g.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 180
  • fullsizeoutput_11a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_11a.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: Wlfdg
My current 223 load

* LC (mixed years), JAG 5.56 and Starline 5.56 brass
* 25.3gr TAC
* 69gr SMK @ 2.255 COAL
* Fiocchi Lead Free Small Rifle Primer

Out of 3 different semi's (all 5.56 or 223 Wylde 16 and 18") this load averages around 2850 MV with an SD of 13.2. Everything in this range of powder charge seems to do well for me, from 25.1 to 25.8. At the higher end of that range SD's came down to single digits IIRC but the brass was starting to get a little beat up.

I can't find a 25.3 target but attached is one with the 25.1 load fired out of my Savage MSR15 Recon.

Attachments

• 25-1.jpg
    25-1.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 104

Varget OCW

H4895 OCW

Ok, this is what confuses me the most about interpreting OCW results. On your VARGET OCW, can you please explain the reasoning behind why you chose 24.7 Varget as the middle of the node? Also When looking at your 4895 OCW, you did in this case choose the middle of the two smallest groups. I'm totally baffled as to how you picked the node based on those pics. I'd really appreciate an explanation of how you do this and why? I've read Dan Newberry's OCW webpage explanation and it's still not making complete sense to me.

One follow up Question - I assume you are shooting those 3 shot strings in the round robin format as described in Dan's OCW method? Thanks in advance.

I do mine with chrono 1 shot each at 1/10th increments starting at lowest to highest charge. Once I do that normally I find 3 nodes ,low,medium and high then I load the medium charge at 1/10th lower and 1/10th higher and same on high node 5 shots each. Then I find best 5 shot grouping/node in medium and high and reload those 2 charges medium and high go back and find which one I like and load that one up. All though I use to use Varget as well I find H4895 to be as good if not better in my bolt rifle. That's must method all though. Then I start loading bullets 05 thousands off the land working my way back to the best group then and turning necks as well. Just my method.

Last edited:
I have tried Shooter s World Precision with the same load as Varget and getting the same results. It looks like Varget and flows a little better.

Shot this the other day with the sun coming right down the middle of the scope. Standing behind the rifle magazine out start the clock drop to prone load the mag and fire total time was 1 min. That sun was rough the target was in the shade. But I had fun and I know that a lot of other people can do better but this one was one of my better ones.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_12f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_12f.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Wlfdg
I have used shooters world Match with great results under 77 grain CC&SMK

88 Grain Hornady ELDM
25.0 Grains Varget. Works well with 8208XBR as well.
Federal Match Primer
Brass IVI
OAL 2.580"

Barrel 26 inch 1/7 Bartlien

2800 FPS with FLR Brass, (2900 FPS with FF Neck Resized Brass, plus another 1/2 grain powder)

Accuracy 1/2 MOA.

New Manson reamer arrived last week, new 27" barrel on the way. Next will seat 88s to 2.624" OAL, just forward of donut.
This will have a tight neck chamber at 0.248", so brass will be turned. Trying to get a solid 1/4 MOA out of it.
I'm not after more speed, but it will lower pressures a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: EscapeVelocity
I have used shooters world Match with great results under 77 grain CC&SMK

I am in the middle of load dev with Shooters World Match and the 77SMK. Would you mind sharing your charge weight and COAL? I followed the book and went as far as .2 over max charge weight and am not getting great velocity. Using Lapua brass and a BR4 primer. Thanks!

I am in the middle of load dev with Shooters World Match and the 77SMK. Would you mind sharing your charge weight and COAL? I followed the book and went as far as .2 over max charge weight and am not getting great velocity. Using Lapua brass and a BR4 primer. Thanks!
I was using LC brass, BR 4 primers, 25.0 grains of match, 77 grain Nosler CC with 2.250” oacl. I don’t know the case capacity differences between brass, so please start low and work up.

this combo shoots sub MOA out of my LaRue PredatOBR with 18” barrel and works on steel OT to 600 yards.

Everything on budget and available in Canada here, Mossberg MVP Predator 1:9, 18.5" -- a land far far away that I won't even try to kiss.

CCI small rifle primer

55.1Gr CamPro FMJ SBT ( 500pk, weight sorted, 55Gr ) : CFE 223 @ 26.2Gr, crimped at beginning of cannelure in order to maximize the COL
69Gr SIE HPBT : CFE 223 @ 25.1Gr, COL=2.260

BL-C(2) and N140 in progress, PPU 69Gr, SIE 77&80Gr HPBT in queue.

Last edited:
Anyone have data for a Barnes 62g TSX over Varget (or shooters world precision)? Would be shooting them out of a 16" barrel.

Gun: Savage Model 10 LE
20" Heavy Barrel 1:9 twist
Vortex Crossfire 6x24 50mm lens

Load:
53 grain Hornady BTHP Match
IMR 4198 21.0 grains
Lake City Brass CL 1.748
COL 2.250 +/- .02
CCI 400 SRP

200 Yard 5 Shot Group

.5" (.24 MOA)

Attachments

• 200 yard target.jpg
    200 yard target.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Cfshooter
88 Grain Hornady ELDM
25.0 Grains Varget. Works well with 8208XBR as well.
Federal Match Primer
Brass IVI
OAL 2.580"

Barrel 26 inch 1/7 Bartlien

2800 FPS with FLR Brass, (2900 FPS with FF Neck Resized Brass, plus another 1/2 grain powder)

Accuracy 1/2 MOA.

New Manson reamer arrived last week, new 27" barrel on the way. Next will seat 88s to 2.624" OAL, just forward of donut.
This will have a tight neck chamber at 0.248", so brass will be turned. Trying to get a solid 1/4 MOA out of it.
I'm not after more speed, but it will lower pressures a bit.
How much freebore do you have with that setup that your running?

Reactions: Doug k 042414

Been about 9 months. Anything yet? Interested in the 8208.

Anyone have data for a Barnes 62g TSX over Varget (or shooters world precision)? Would be shooting them out of a 16" barrel.

Not TSX but close....
62gn TTSX
24.5 gn Varget
CCI 400
Frontier brass
2.650 COAL
AR/ Rock Creek 16" barrel

Don't think I ever chrony'd it but it shoots sub MOA and has killed everything that Ive ever shot with it.