• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 - 5.56

How much freebore do you have with that setup that your running?

0.145" on the current chamber.

Here's my new reamer, which has 0.045" longer freebore (0.190") than the current chamber.

I'll be spinning up a new Benchmark 1:7 over the holidays with this reamer.

This 0.190 freebore places the base of the 88 ELD M bearing surface just ahead of the donut.

This reamer is designed for a COAL of 2.626". To use this in a repeater I had to modify an AccurateMag to accommodate the increased length.

I am turning necks for this BTW.

My 223 Reamer for 88 ELD Tight Neck.jpg

Last edited:
0.145" on the current chamber.

Here's my new reamer, which has 0.045" longer freebore than the current chamber.

I'll be spinning up a new Benchmark 1:7 over the holidays with this reamer.

This 0.190 freebore places the base of the bearing surface just ahead of the donut.

To use this is a repeater I had to modify an AccurateMag to accommodate the increased length.

View attachment 7496889
This is why I love this sight. Diagrams. I do appreciate it! I've always wanted to try the 88s in a 223 for local matches but lacked the info to pursue it.

I was just going to ask about loading 88's here. I inherited a bunch and am not sure what to do with them. I have a PVA .223 barrel for a TL3. I have Varget, IMR4166 and 8208xbr available. I imagine my chamber is some standard for .223 Wylde....no idea. Would like to keep them mag length so of course they'll be seated deep. Any thoughts? I just want more ammo available on-hand to shoot, and this is what I've got right now. Thanks

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
Those using Lapua brass what is the outside diameter of the neck with a bullet seated? Trying to figure a bushing size.

Those using Lapua brass what is the outside diameter of the neck with a bullet seated? Trying to figure a bushing size.
Measured several pieces at several places.... .2494 - .2496. Right between sizes :confused:

Measured several pieces at several places.... .2494 - .2496. Right between sizes :confused:

Awesome. Thanks. I will use .249 on a loaded neck as my base and work with a .247 bushing.

Just measured 10 rounds of new Lapua brass I am about to do a ladder test with... .250 on all 10 rounds.

I also measured 10 rounds of Lake City 5.56 once fired (2018 stamped) loaded up to test at the same time, they measured .248 across the board.

No neck turning.

Reactions: Rob01
Keep in mind guys that there is no one single correct bushing size. Brass hardness will change over the number of firings and as it hardens, you will get more spring back and that will call for a smaller bushing.

If you anneal, that will reset the process and call for a larger neck sizing bushing.

So, all I'm saying is get a few bushings maybe on either side of what your calculations determine. For 223 I think have about 8 different bushings, but that's to cover some neck turned cases as well. Even without neck turning I'm sure I've used 5 sizes for different cases in different places in the resize and anneal cycle.

Not my first rodeo. Looking for an area they are in.

Reactions: FishDr
So, I got out today with my new 26" 1:7 Benchmark barrel chambered with the new reamer. COAL was 2.625" with 88 grain ELDMs and 90 grain A Tips. Fed from the modified Accurate mag with no issues at all.

Brass was full length resized IVI brass all weighing within 1/10th grain. First time being fired in the rifle after being neck turned. The next firing will be more meaningful.

With 88 grain ELDMs I was getting 2891 to 2926 FPS with 25.5 grains of Varget . That's the hottest load I tested and pressures were just fine. Primers are flat but with nothing flowing into the firing pin hole and edges of primer are still rounded.

Lowest velocity spread was with 88 grain ELDMs with 25.0 grains of Varget where all 4 rounds were within 4 FPS... 2861, 2857, 2858, 2857. Small sample I know. Mainly just testing for pressures right now.

I only tested 5 shots with the 90 grain A Tips with 24.5 grains of Varget and speeds were 2796, 2771, 2752, 2789 and 2772. This was actually the smallest group of the day, but velocity spreads were nothing to be exited about. Probably need to test different seating depths.

For reference, the 88 ELDM with the same 24.5 grains of Varget were going 2796, 2814, 2808, 2787, 2818.

Accuracy was around 1/2 MOA for all loads, but the bipod was admittedly not very stable. It was cold and after shoveling the ice and snow off my shooting bench, I was impatient. Next time I'll get serious about my set up and work on getting better accuracy.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Alright fellas with the shortage in ammo I’m going to start reloading 5.56. This will only be used for shooting at range within 100 yards so precision for once is not a real factor as with my other loads. My question to you guys is what powder should I use for this and around what grain amount? I would like to keep overall price per round as low as possible. I will be using 62 fmj pills since I can find them

Grab some CFE223 if you can find some. Meters great. You can look on Hodgdon’s site for data for the 62s if none is listed here.

Anyone with experience with Berger’s 85.5gr LRHT?

I only have about 150 rounds down a 1:7 223 Proof Comp contour so far... but the results are promising. I had to have the throat extended to get a decent fit. My OAL is 2.515... probably could be a bit longer. These groups were shot at 27°F temp/15°F Real Feel and by the end, I couldn't feel my trigger finger :)

Attachments

• 20210102_193916.jpg
    20210102_193916.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210102_193916.jpg
    20210102_193916.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: Engine 22
I only have about 150 rounds down a 1:7 223 Proof Comp contour so far... but the results are promising. I had to have the throat extended to get a decent fit. My OAL is 2.515... probably could be a bit longer. These groups were shot at 27°F temp/15°F Real Feel and by the end, I couldn't feel my trigger finger :)
Just what I was looking for, thanks.
I’ll need to have my throat lengthened as well then.
23gr of Varget starts to push the primers out of my WIN cases. I’m only at 2540fps with 22gr out of a 26” tube. Very accurate, but slooooowww.
I knew what I needed to do, but wasn’t sure what velocity guys where getting and what COL.

Trying to get reloading components for ar 223 wild 18inch 1:8 twist

I had planned on Rcbs x dies but out of stock everywhere

Do I need small base dies or will standard full length dies be ok

As scarce as things are I will get what is available

Usually regular dies are fine, but in some cases you can require small base dies.

If for example you use brass that was previously fired in a very large chamber, there can be too much spring back to get the round into your chamber without sizing it a second time with a small base die.

If you are using new brass, this is not likely the case and you would be fine with a regular sizing die in most cases.

Anyone with experience with Berger’s 85.5gr LRHT?
My 1:6.7 twist 24" bull barrel .224 Valkyrie does <0.4 MOA with them using CFE223 at 2850fps. I haven't tried them in my .223 Tikka T3X Varmint yet because that rifle has a 1:8 twist barrel, and I can only get 2700fps out of it. The Berger Stability Calculator (available on their web site) reports that bullet is "marginally stable" at 2700 fps in a 1:8 twist and Berger says that the 85.5gr LRHT bullet needs 1:7 twist or better. I've been thinking I might try them in my Tikka just for the hell of it, but I've got so many other projects backed up by the awful weather we've been having that I just haven't got around to it yet.

Last edited:

There's a bunch of .223 die sets available on eBay, but take a deep breath before you look at some of the prices.

Does anyone have a good load for 55 FMJ with H335? I know H335 can have pressure spikes in different temperatures so I’m wondering what comfortable load to use.

Trying to run 1000 rounds across the progressive.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have a good load for 55 FMJ with H335? I know H335 can have pressure spikes in different temperatures so I’m wondering what comfortable load to use.

Trying to run 1000 rounds across the progressive.

Thanks in advance!

I use around 25 grains with the 53gr V Max with LC and Winchester brass for my coyote loads.

just loaded up a bunch the weekend cause the weather sucked

69 gr Nosler Custom Competition
34 8208 XBR

shooting them out of a 16 in AR, will have some muzzle velocity as soon as it dries up

i had good luck with the 69 nosler and 25 grains of varget but it was on the slow side out of a 16 in

just loaded up a bunch the weekend cause the weather sucked

69 gr Nosler Custom Competition
34 8208 XBR

shooting them out of a 16 in AR, will have some muzzle velocity as soon as it dries up
how are you fitting 34gr of 8208 xbr in a 5.56 case and how is the gun still together?🤔🤣

Reactions: Mudflap621
Anybody have a good accuracy load with Varget and 69 grain bullets for a ar
I used to run Winchester 748 ball powder in my Colt A2 Delta HBar. Seemed to work well for a gas gun. I cant remember the powder charge off the top of my head, but I think it was around 24.5 grains or so.

I'm getting back in the 223 game. I got a 22" 223 DTA conv kit with a 22" Bartlein 7.5 twist Rem 223 match chamber on the way.
I somehow found a couple of lbs of IMR 8208 XBR as well as little bit of Varget at the local gun store but I'd rather keep the Varget for the 308.
I got 500x of each: 77 Scenar-L, 75 ELD-M, 80 ELD-M. There's a ton of 88 ELD-M available but I fear I would be marginally stable even though I can easily load at coal of 2.500"+ with the Desert Tech magazine but I doubt the chamber would allow me to load much deeper than that.

I went with the Hornady dies and the amax/ELD-M stem. Couldn't find the Forster seating dies in stock in Canada.

Primers I plan to use some left over Rem 7 1/2 but I have a fair amount of Fed 205m and Fed 205MAR. Would the 205MAR be a substitute to CCI 450 due to the harder cup ? Plenty of CCI BR4 primers available but no 450s, should I get BR4s if I don't plan to shoot in a gas gun?

For the loads, seems like 24-25gr for Varget and 23.0-24gr for XBR is a good starting point?

Also for practice round, any reason not to stock up on the old 77 Sierra hbpt ? It's relatively cheap and easy to find and I could keep those for under 500 yards. It's also probably more forgiving than the newer TMKs for jump ?

I'm getting back in the 223 game. I got a 22" 223 DTA conv kit with a 22" Bartlein 7.5 twist Rem 223 match chamber on the way.
I somehow found a couple of lbs of IMR 8208 XBR as well as little bit of Varget at the local gun store but I'd rather keep the Varget for the 308.
I got 500x of each: 77 Scenar-L, 75 ELD-M, 80 ELD-M. There's a ton of 88 ELD-M available but I fear I would be marginally stable even though I can easily load at coal of 2.500"+ with the Desert Tech magazine but I doubt the chamber would allow me to load much deeper than that.

I went with the Hornady dies and the amax/ELD-M stem. Couldn't find the Forster seating dies in stock in Canada.

Primers I plan to use some left over Rem 7 1/2 but I have a fair amount of Fed 205m and Fed 205MAR. Would the 205MAR be a substitute to CCI 450 due to the harder cup ? Plenty of CCI BR4 primers available but no 450s, should I get BR4s if I don't plan to shoot in a gas gun?

For the loads, seems like 24-25gr for Varget and 23.0-24gr for XBR is a good starting point?

Also for practice round, any reason not to stock up on the old 77 Sierra hbpt ? It's relatively cheap and easy to find and I could keep those for under 500 yards. It's also probably more forgiving than the newer TMKs for jump ?
I get an accurate (0.6MOA) nice mild load out of my el Cheapo Ruger American with the Sierra 77TMK over 21.5gr 8208-XBR. That's with Hornady brass and CCI BR-4 primers. My COAL for this load is 2.445". Good stuff for short range work. I see no reason why this load wouldn't work well with the Sierra HPBT. However, with an AR you might have cycling issues with this light load that would need to be worked out.

Reactions: st1650
I got out today with my 223 running 88s with small base resized brass firing for the first time in the rifle with 1.1 grains less powder than I use with fire formed brass. Load was 24.5 grains of Varget seated to 2.610 with 0.015 jump to the lands. Temperature was about 35 degrees F.

Didn't have the chronograph set up, but 6 minutes of wind was coming from the left and I needed 18.5 MOA for elevation at 760 yards. Since a wind from the left blows the round low, I would probably need 18 MOA on a calm day at the same temperature.

Hard to tell but it sure looked like most of them were around a 3 inch group until the wind let off.

My buddy was out too and he used 5.5 Mils of elevation with the 6BR running 105 Bergers. So the drop was pretty much identical.

It was raining and crappy so we cut the day short, but we will be doing the 223 vs 6 BR thing extensively as the weather warms.

I got out today with my 223 running 88s with small base resized brass firing for the first time in the rifle with 1.1 grains less powder than I use with fire formed brass. Load was 24.5 grains of Varget seated to 2.610 with 0.015 jump to the lands. Temperature was about 35 degrees F.

Didn't have the chronograph set up, but 6 minutes of wind was coming from the left and I needed 18.5 MOA for elevation at 760 yards. Since a wind from the left blows the round low, I would probably need 18 MOA on a calm day at the same temperature.

Hard to tell but it sure looked like most of them were around a 3 inch group until the wind let off.

My buddy was out too and he used 5.5 Mils of elevation with the 6BR running 105 Bergers. So the drop was pretty much identical.

It was raining and crappy so we cut the day short, but we will be doing the 223 vs 6 BR thing extensively as the weather warms.
What twist rate are you running ? Wondering if 7.75 is enough to stabilize the 88s

I ordered some norma 202 for my AR 223. Says it was developed for 308 but is good in the 223
I plan to use it with 62gr but and 77 gr SMK

Looks like velocity may not be quite as high as some but it was available

Same powder AS RL 12

Can someone explain to me the differences in the two published load data sources. I have a pic of the book for SMK 69gn for bolt gun. Also have thier app for load data. The pics are below. As you can see the book shows an OAL of 2.260 in the bolt gun data. The app shows 2.280 for bolt gun data. I will be using Varget. You can also see that the book data shows a max load of 26.4 grains at the 2.260 OAL and the app shows max at 23.8 grains at 2.280 should there be that much powder difference for .020 of bullet depth. Maybe I’m just crazy Lol.

C80DC9E5-F068-4D38-B6BC-81662FFF775D.jpeg

6100290A-A3B1-4B41-8339-76083EF9FC05.png

26.4 varget at 2.26 coal with a 69 gr bullet does seems really really hot to me. I’m showing 66-70K PSI in Quickload depending on case capacity.

26.4 varget at 2.26 coal with a 69 gr bullet does seems really really hot to me. I’m showing 66-70K PSI in Quickload depending on case capacity.
Yeah, I’m just wanting to do some load testing with this bullet since i have quite a few on hand. Trying to find out where the max safe load is, so i can load down in .2grain increments for 10 - 5 shot groups Over a chrono.

Ar 223 Wild

I have a load with 77gSMKs and varget that looks good. All under one inch and a couple at a half inch. I'm still learning to drive her so for me that is not bad

Trying to bring the cost down for plinking

I worked up a ladder with 62gr fmj bt Hornaday 2nds and Norma 202

I'm getting some very noticeable vertical stringing, any suggestions as to what could cause that

I can post a photo of the target if that would help
Dennis

Ar 223 Wild

I have a load with 77gSMKs and varget that looks good. All under one inch and a couple at a half inch. I'm still learning to drive her so for me that is not bad

Trying to bring the cost down for plinking

I worked up a ladder with 62gr fmj bt Hornaday 2nds and Norma 202

I'm getting some very noticeable vertical stringing, any suggestions as to what could cause that

I can post a photo of the target if that would help
Dennis
Vertical string is something I struggle with when shooting the AR. For me, I make certain that I have the butt of the gun firmly planted against my shoulder, a consistent grip, and pull the trigger straight back.

You shouldn't expect a lot from a 55 or 62 FMJ. They typically hover between 1 to 2" at 100 yards for me.

Reactions: 260284
What I’ve learned over the years is that , vertical stringing is a velocity issue . Horizontal stringing is a COAL issue .

Reactions: Sogan
Gun: home built AR, JP 18” barrel. 1-6 Burris scope. This is my 3gun rifle.
Magnetospeed chrono
69 smk
AR Comp powder
Top Brass
2.260”
cci 400 srp
edited to add 8 twist barrel

21.5gr 2695 fps sd 22
22.0gr 2709fps sd 10.6
22.5gr 2754fps sd 5.5
DC1ACD91-CFA5-4C39-B47B-9479BB59F092.jpeg

23.0gr 2788fps sd-9.3
The last load was getting warm, but not dangerous. Outside temp was 85 so I could run this in the summer.

Last edited: