• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 69grain SMK for Service Rifle

chuff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
SW Colorado
Is anyone shooting the 69gr SMK out of an AR, preferably for service rifle? If so, what is your favorite load, preferably one that doesn't use Varget?

Re: .223 69grain SMK for Service Rifle

26.0 + or - .1 of varget is a money load.

RE15 would be a close second in the 25.5 range if I remember correctly.

As always, work up to it.

chuff,

Work up to 24.0 of N-140 with WSR and nominal COL.

HTH,
DocB

24.5-25.5 H4895 ( I use 25.0, no issues.)
25-25.5 RE15 ( I have used 25.3)
25-25.5 N140 ( I have used 25.3 as well with this no issues)

Thats about all I have ever tried with that bullet and those powders. I used to use Varget, 25.3, and got good results with it. made it to master firstseason, now I use the 25.0 of H4895 because its cleaner and i have a ton of it. It shoots a little tighter and a little faster than the varget load. Also with the 69 sierra, the Varget, N140 and RE15 data is pretty much interchangeable. I don't think you could fit enough in the case of either of the 3 and gt that bullet to seat and be in any overpressure danger other than flat primers...maybe.... H4895 shows a listed max of 26.0 grains, and it will slightly flatten a primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone shooting the 69gr SMK out of an AR, preferably for service rifle? If so, what is your favorite load, preferably one that doesn't use Varget? </div></div>

Here are some of the favorite loads of the high power shooters.

http://www.njhighpower.com/

We use Benchmark, 24grs with 69gr SMK loaded for mag length. Shoots very well!

25.5 RL15, Rem 7.5, LC case
It is crunching at 2.26"
No pressure signs ever and very accurate.
Primers have generous annular radius left in them.
I also don't think that one could over stuff a case with RL15 and that bullet when used in a proper chamber/barrel.
Pushing just under 2900 ft/sec in a 20" Wilson SR barrel.

Im shooting 25.0 of varget behind the 69. its a compressed load in LC brass. Just loaded to max mag length. these shoot really good out of my 16" Larue. Im seeing about 2630-2680 FPS.

CJG

I use 25.1gr VV-140, gave me 2850 FPS out of my WOA 20" 1/8 and grouped really nice.
However, my most accurate load was with 26.1gr. It flew downrange at ~2950 fps and even though the primers started show pressure signs, I wouldnt be too worried about using it in my rifle with good brass. It's over recommended max though...

You cant go wrong with RL-15 or Varget but some other powders such as TAC, AA2520 and Benchmark have gave me some very well grouping also.

Dont be afraid to try new powders, some might surprise you.

um, did you say something?!

bastard! Tell me you shot that video yourself and you're my hero!

PS- After Varget, try RE15, - work your load up for your rifle and use a small-base sizing die and a competition seating die (makes easy, more accurate work of it).I'm about to try some loads with IMR8208 XBR- I'll report back.

My load for the SMK 69gr in my 1:8" AR15s (service rifle and not), is 24gr of IMR4895.
Start at 23.4gr and you're going to find the optimum load for your rifle pretty soon.
I am going to experiment with AA2520 n the following days, since it meters a lot better out of my Dillon (I always loaded rifle cartridges on a single stage with electronic powder dispenser/scale so far).

What are normal average velocities for 16" AR's?

As I stated above my 25gr varget load with the 69 smk is good and runs about 2650fps with no pressure signs, just wondering if i should try another powder to get more velocity or stick with this one. the 25gr in LC brass is a compressed load.

CJG

I've got 2730 ft/sec in a 16" chrome lined 1:9 with 69 SMK and 25.0 Varget in a LC case.
I've not chronoed my current load of 25.5 varget in my 16" but based on a graph it should be around 2780.

It does 600 yards surprisingly well for a little toy gun.