• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 and Pro 2000 MR

Boogie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2012
Louisiana
Anybody loading 223 using 2000 MR? I'm just starting to load this caliber and was thinking since I have a 8# jug of the stuff I want to use it along with some 80 gr SMK's. Not having any reference material to look at, except Alliant's load guide that only states a max load, I put together some loads just to see what my max load would be. The loads consisted of new Lapua brass, 80 gr SMKs, CCI BR-4 primers, and of course 2000 MR powder. I loaded them with a .020" jump which gave me a COAL of 2.475". Which is a good bit shorter than the 2.550" most manuals call for with this bullet. But I've got a short chamber/freebore on this Savage F/TR.

I started at 22 gr and did .3 gr increments to 25.3 gr where I started seeing some flattening of the primer. I also saw a decrease in fps between 25 to 25.3 gr. For each step moving up I had a 50 - 55 fps increase until then when it dropped to a 27 fps increase. I was also not very impressed with the velocity. At 25.3 gr I got 2836 fps. To be honest I was hoping to get ~2900 out of this 30" barrel.

Anyway I'm trying to put together a load I can use at 300 and 600 yd matches so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try using a lighter bullet. I'm running an accuracy node at 26.1grs of 2000MR with a 75gr A-max, COAL of 2.32", and 2790fps with a SD of 6fps out of my AR15 with a 22" 8-Twist barrel, Remington Brass and CCI Small Rifle Primers.

What was your previous load & velocity with the 80gr bullets?

I used 26 grains of it with 69s and 77s mag fed in my AR. I bet you could get another .5-1 grain in that case and hit 2900.

For whatever reason 2000MR doesn't seem to make the kind of hot velocities in 223 that I got with it in 308.

BLDTYLRY,

Are you using CCI #400s? I'm using 400s with this powder in a LC09 brass with a 75 Amax , OAL 2.39 (alliants web page seating depth) and am having trouble with flat primers and a pretty good mount of cratering starting at about 25 grains.... How do your primers look? Would it be possible to post a picture? From my research it seems the 400s have a thinner cup and are a bit softer but I am just looking for someone elses input.

Im shooting a bone stock rem700 sps tactical with 20 inch barrel.

Maybe my rifle just does not like this powder/bullet combo.

Shoots the lights out with 69 SMks

Thanks
Matt

I too, recently started using this powder and it seems to meter well in my Dillon. Using 25.2 grns behind a Sierra 77gn HPBT round.

30" barrel seems kinda long, the powder would be completely burned before the bullet left the barrel resulting in a drop in velocity over a 24 to 26" barrel (in my experience...)

BLDTYLRY,

Are you using CCI #400s? I'm using 400s with this powder in a LC09 brass with a 75 Amax , OAL 2.39 (alliants web page seating depth) and am having trouble with flat primers and a pretty good mount of cratering starting at about 25 grains.... How do your primers look? Would it be possible to post a picture? From my research it seems the 400s have a thinner cup and are a bit softer but I am just looking for someone elses input.

Im shooting a bone stock rem700 sps tactical with 20 inch barrel.

Maybe my rifle just does not like this powder/bullet combo.

Shoots the lights out with 69 SMks

Thanks
Matt

Matt,

Correction: 75gr Hornady HPBT not A-max

Yes, using CCI 400's. Primers look good and I could probably run hotter but chose to stay low as to not overwork the brass. This past weekend I started playing with seating depth and if remember correctly I was able to get it down to 2.27" COAL and increased accuracy. I'll measure the Ogive of my loaded round tonight and tell you what the jump is for my barrel.

My guess is your 2.39" COAL may be too close to the rifling causing high pressures.

Bo

You did say .223, which means bolt rifle to me, so this may not apply, but I am running Alliants max recommended loads in my AR 15 behind 69 SMK's and they are shooting as good or better than any powder that I have ever used before. 75 Hornady bthp's at max are going into the size of a nickel @ 100... YMMV.

Here's the detail on my accuracy node for my 22" 8-Twist AR15:
Ogive: 1.880"
COAL: 2.275"
Jump: 0.08"
Grains: 26.1

IMG_1328.jpg

BLDTYLRY,

Thanks for the photo and the details. Your primers look nice and flat like mine do except I am having the craterting issue. I'll play with the seating depth and see how that fairs. Thanks again for your time.

Matt

What luck have any had with this powder using a 223 Rem and 75gr/80gr AMAXs in a bolt gun? I've been able to work up to 27.4gr with 75 BTHPs and have had ok results. Same with 26.1gr and 80 AMAXs. Only 1.9 mils out to 400 yds, so I can definitely get some speed behind it, but I am looking more for accuracy nodes.