• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 bolt gun accuracy expectations

Got it. I did get a response from X-Caliber that they do not do fixed shouldered prefits only barrel nuts.

I still may have Keystone Accuracy build me a pre fit for the Bighorn Origin. He prefers Krieger barrels, but will do others too. Bug Holes currently has Rock Creek, Bartlein, and Kreiger barrels in stock.

It will be about the same money as buying a less expensive prefit, plus action wrench, barrel vise, and go/no go gauges. Hopefully, not as long a wait either. I am also OK spending a little more on a cut rifled barrel in .223 due to the potential for longer life. When the time comes I may do my own prefit for my 6.5.

Reactions: Chickentoast
Resurrecting a slightly older thread...

I have been looking for a similar .223 rifle for some time; except in a left hand action. My number 1 choice was a Tikka CTR with the 24 inch, 1 in 8 barrel. EuroOptic has had them on order since April with no ETA. I even called Beretta and got no where. I am also giving up and looking at doing a custom build.

Did you ever pull the trigger on the Bighorn barreled action from Keystone?
Getting ready to. I blew my wad on Black Friday deals for the wife’s and kid’s Christmas gifts. I also bought everything I’d need for the build except a barreled action. Lol! I’ll wait a couple weeks till I have the funds ready. Didn’t want to waste keystones time then not actually place an order.

A couple observations -
1. Bedding doesn’t always help, but sometimes it does… especially with stock designs that are more flexible.
2. In the past few months I have bought over 6000 small rifle primers, 500 rds of .223 loaded with 77 TMK, Lapua brass, and several pounds/types of powder… yeah, scrounging sucks, but with patience you can still get your hands on supplies.
3. Load something other than Varget or H4350 and life gets a lot easier.

Getting ready to. I blew my wad on Black Friday deals for the wife’s and kid’s Christmas gifts. I also bought everything I’d need for the build except a barreled action. Lol! I’ll wait a couple weeks till I have the funds ready. Didn’t want to waste keystones time then not actually place an order.
Right on. I am in the same boat. I got a deal on an MPA Hybrid Chassis and did the 20% off black Friday deal on a Triggertech Special. So those are covered. The barreled action is a big hit. I have a few items I may sell first. I have a pristine left hand Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor ( I ended up upgrading to an MPA PMR Pro just after I got it) and a Vortex PST II 5-25x50 that will be hitting the PX soon.

FYI, I spoke with John yesterday and .223 barrels are in short supply. His Green Mountain barrels are out a ways. He is also waiting for Kriegars. I may source the action and barrel and send it to him for threading, chambering, cut, and crown. I am leaning towards a Rock Creek barrel as they are a little less. I had a .308 Rock Creek and it's was probably the most accurate barrel I have owned- prior to the Bergara and MPA. 😉

Reactions: Joeydias3
Right on. I am in the same boat. I got a deal on an MPA Hybrid Chassis and did the 20% off black Friday deal on a Triggertech Special. So those are covered. The barreled action is a big hit. I have a few items I may sell first. I have a pristine left hand Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor ( I ended up upgrading to an MPA PMR Pro just after I got it) and a Vortex PST II 5-25x50 that will be hitting the PX soon.

FYI, I spoke with John yesterday and .223 barrels are in short supply. His Green Mountain barrels are out a ways. He is also waiting for Kriegars. I may source the action and barrel and send it to him for threading, chambering, cut, and crown. I am leaning towards a Rock Creek barrel as they are a little less. I had a .308 Rock Creek and it's was probably the most accurate barrel I have owned- prior to the Bergara and MPA. 😉

Give Anthony a try, Crown Ridge Barrel works. He uses X-Caliber blanks and can do shouldered prefits for Origin and TL3. He is fast, his work is outstanding and his pricing is very fair. I think it is around $450 shipped for shouldered prefit.

.223 Shilen barrel, TL3 action, XLR Element chassis. 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

nqyrfO3l.jpg

Sounds like I'd just be wasting my time if my plan is to buy a .223 bolt gun and not reload for precision then.

Is anyone having good results with factory ammo? Or is this like the dumbest question on this site?

Black hills 77smk 10 shot group after putting the rifle together and zeroing the scope. Shot five and then thought I might as well finish off the mag. Savage LRP action, savage F class take off barrel. Takes less elevation at 1K than my .308 shooting FGGM.
223_Target.JPG

Reactions: DJL2
What powder are you guys running with the 80+ grainers in your 223s?
N140, also going to try 8208 XBR. Varget will work also but wont be the highest velocity. H4895 is also a favorite of the F class guys.

Recent. I bought the rifle from holy cow back in November.

P

Sounds like I'd just be wasting my time if my plan is to buy a .223 bolt gun and not reload for precision then.

Is anyone having good results with factory ammo? Or is this like the dumbest question on this site?
No you are not wasting time you just have fewer options than someone that reloads. You are stuck with what your guns harmonics like and sometimes factory ammo matches the gun as well as (or close) to reloads. There are several levels to reloading to squeek more out of a gun.

If you get a good barrel via the lotto (get lucky) factory ammo can shoot great. I have a .204 pencil barrel bolt and will shoot under 1/2 MOA with factory.
Its so good I don't bother reloading for it as its good enough. Could I improve? maybe but its not worth it as I have a ton of Hornady and Fioucci 40gr ammo for it. If I reload I doubt I will be improve on it. Its not a match grade gun just got lucky.

Not many companies with gaurantee better than 1/2 MOA. I have seen a few, they test fire each gun and you pay for that testing too.

The Tikka will have a good chance of besting your AR. But .6 MOA is nothing to sneaze at and doubt its going to put it to shame.

Not sure why some people say factory ammo is weaker. Go try to match the 53gr Hornady factory ammo of 3465fps. I could not using a 24" AR using Ramshot, Vaminator or CFE223 without going way over 223 book loads. Same goes for hornady factor .204 ammo. Not going to match its velocity easily.