• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

223 bolt gun barrel twist and bullet weight question?

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
Im currently putting together a 223 that will have a trued action,Mcmillan A5 and Shilen barrel. Id like to be able to shoot everything fro 40gr-75gr bullets. Will a 1/8 barrel be too fast for the light bullets? Ive like to use the rifle for everything from chucks to 600 yard steel. I thought the lighter bullet have thin jackets and can blow apart if spun too fast. Whats the consensus?

1x9 will stabilize some 75 grainers. However if I were to build another 223 I would go with a 1x8. I like the 55 grain varmageddon bullets. I cant see a reason to run lighter bullets when these all but eliminate the worry of ricochet and cam be pushed really fast. I have read about bullets being torn by fast twists but everything I read anymore says modern bullets can handle it.

If you are going precision bolt action go heavy thats where every things headed, Barnes/Black Hills is about to come out with a 110gr 5.56 to compete with 300 blackout go 1:7 twist and I would stick with 75 and up. the heavier bullets will be affected much less by wind at a distance, much easier to adjust for the vertical than the horizontal.

To push the heavy bullets (85 and up) you really have to push the brass hard to get good results.thats my experience anyway.

I have the reamer for a longer throat. I have bullets up to 75gr and don't plan on using anything heavier. Id shoot another caliber for longer range. I figured Id do a hunting/tactical rifle. Also want to keep them the length that will fit in AI magazines.

I have the reamer for a longer throat. I have bullets up to 75gr and don't plan on using anything heavier. Id shoot another caliber for longer range. I figured Id do a hunting/tactical rifle. Also want to keep them the length that will fit in AI magazines.

Try the 77gr SMKs. They will fit into magazine length, and will buck the wind pretty good.

I've run up to 80gr amaxs at a coal of 2.500" and then run the 50gr vmaxs around 2.350" out of a 1/8 with excellent results in each, both shooting under 1/2". Don't know about 40s, I've never wanted that light before but the 50s won't give you any trouble

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I just want to use the bullets I already have. The hits on prairie dogs are brutal with those 40 grainers. I just bought 2k of the 75gr bullets. I just want an all around rifle.

1x9 will stabilize some 75 grainers. However if I were to build another 223 I would go with a 1x8. I like the 55 grain varmageddon bullets. I cant see a reason to run lighter bullets when these all but eliminate the worry of ricochet and cam be pushed really fast. I have read about bullets being torn by fast twists but everything I read anymore says modern bullets can handle it.

i have a 20 inch yhm 1 in 7 that will blow up 55 midway dogtown bullets. i shoot 77smks out of my 26 inch 1 in 9. i would be scared to build custom on a 1 in 9 if i wanted tom shoot 77+ because you are out a lot if it will not shoot them. my 20 inch 1 in 8 rra barrel has never blown up a bullet

If you are going precision bolt action go heavy thats where every things headed, Barnes/Black Hills is about to come out with a 110gr 5.56 to compete with 300 blackout go 1:7 twist and I would stick with 75 and up. the heavier bullets will be affected much less by wind at a distance, much easier to adjust for the vertical than the horizontal.

Care to enlighten us on the 110gr .224 bullet?

I wish I could, he told me they would not let anyone off the firing line with any, he gave me some of the 85gr last night, I am going to dissect them sometime this week. By my calc it would need a 1:5.5 twist rate to stabilize, and velocity couldn't be more than 2100-2200 fps. He says they were shooting them out to 400 yards.

Tonight I got a .308 210gr Subsonic HP with a soft lead core that expands at subsonic velocities, A 115gr Solid Tungston 5.56 Subsonic penetrator and a 40gr Tungston core in a synthetic jacket. Will try n post pics later.

Noveske teamed up with Nosler , they are coming out with a glowing tipped 220gr lubricated subsonic bullet that has 2x expansion at subsonic speeds.

Been working 72 hrs a week and shipping powder, these nuts are hitting buy now button at $50.00/lb! will try n get to it soon.

I just payed 33/lb for h4350. I felt that hurt. I don't think I could do 50/lb.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I think the concept is a little impractical. If you want a decent 'chuck gun at reasonable .223 ranges, a ten twist should suffice. If you are into banging steel way out there, (for my money), get a 6mm bore. This ultra heavy .224" bullet fad is going to fade a bit, in my opinion. And, if it don't, I still won't be jumping on the band wagon. My 22-250Ackley won't stabilize 70 gr. VLD's but it sure is the shits for coyotes, at any range. I guess that's my message; all around guns don't do anything, really well. Sad but true. BB

I have all those rifles its not the point. Im getting a free barrel and labor to build this 223 thats the only reason Im doing it. Just Figured it would be an all around rifle. I don't want a fast twist barrel if I can't use all my 40-55 grain bullets.