• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 223 for heavy bullets build with pics

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
I haven't built my self anything in a little while because I have been very busy, mostly helping others who need it. I decided to clean up my shop and start a new thread on that. Well that was the foreplay for a new build. I have had these parts for a couple of months or so waiting on the painter to feel like painting for him self again. This is something I have wanted for a long time. A 223 chambered for shooting 80 grainers. I am using a Stiller action, Bartlein barrel with 1 in 8 twist, a McMillan A-4, and a Timney trigger. I started today after getting home from work. Here are the first pics.

parts.jpg

Here is a look at the chamber end after dialing it in and before any cuts.

face.jpg

Machining the tenon to length.

tenon.jpg

Here I am squaring up the shoulder, and creating a slight relief cut to remove the radius left by the other cutter.

squaret.jpg

Threading the barrel for the action.

threading.jpg

Cutting a counter bore for the bolt nose with a boring bar. normally I use a counterbore tool from PTG, but I don't do this small caliber often, and they are caliber specific, so it's old school in this case.

threading.jpg

Fit the action, and chambered the barrel. Here the action is on snap tight, and bing tested with the gages. all went just perfect with the way the Lapua brass I'm using fit. A little final polish, and off to the vice.

actionfit.jpg

100 ft lbs of torque from my Snap-on wrench, and another try at the gages, and all is cool. That's as far as I got today. more to come tomorrow. Thanks.

torque.jpg

Re: 223 for heavy bullets build with pics

DAMNIT, OZZIE! Why do you do this to me.

I want one of your builds so bad. I love that A4 stock. I always wanted you to build me an M40A3 replica.

It looks great and I'm sure it will be a shooter. Hope the family is doing good and y'all had fun at Disney World.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much? </div></div>

Sorry brother, but no for sales. These builds are all for daddy to play with. I still have a 6BR I will build once all the parts are here, a 7MM Rem Mag in a Russo A5 stock he will make for me out of cocobolo. He is also making the one for the 6 BR now out of granadillo wood from Central America, just doesn't know about the A5 yet, LOL. Now I just have to start saving for the three NF scopes I will need. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much for the mini-bike? </div></div>

That's really funny William, but not even for the three NF scopes I need. That thing brings a lot of joy to my 7 year old daughter, and 1 1/2 year old son. Priceless smiles. I can always count on you to make me laugh, thanks.

Which reamer did you use?

I called PTG, spoke with Dave, and told him what I wanted to do without sending dummy round. He sent me a reamer marked 088FB 1degree -30. So, since I trust him as always before, I used it. I still have not loaded a dummy to try yet. That will be tomorrow.

How fast are you gonna be able to push them? Did I mention I love this rifle
smile.gif

Great build. I have been waiting for a 1-6.5 twist barrel to do something very similar. My cheap little SPS tac got me enamored with .223 and now I want to mess the super heavies.

Being able to shoot a lot without much fatigue or monetary outlay on a full size platform has really improved my abilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How fast are you gonna be able to push them? Did I mention I love this rifle
smile.gif
</div></div>

I'm a bit new to this combo, so I was hoping to lean on you guys that know for the loads. I should be ready to shoot by Friday . I need some info on loads by tomorrow night. Brass is ready for loading. Thanks guys.

I'm new to the 223 with the heavies, as my parts are still at Mr Gradous's shop,but my research says Varget and RL 15 as the popular powders, are you going to use Lapua brass?

Yes on the Lapua brass, and great with both powders because I have lots of both. Now I just need to know where to start so I can keep what little brains I have inside this big head of mine. Thanks.

STR,

I use Benchmark in both a standard 223Rem and a couple 223AIs, as well do a couple friends in thier 'AIs, and 75AMAXs.

In the 223Rem start at 23grns end at 24. I went to 24.5 but ran into pressure.

Settled on 24grns. Gets the 75 started off @ 2970ish via 26" tube.

In my experience Benchmark has been accurate, temp stable, and meters like water.

The Amax bullets are what I want to try, but what I have on hand is a big box of Sierra MK 80 grain. I do have Benchmark , as it is another of my favorite powders. Wonder how it would work with the SMK 80s?

Well, last night I went back into the shop after everyone was down for the count, and bedded this rifle. Below are some of the pics. Today I poped it out, did the clean up, and is now in the oven with a coat of Cerakote on the stock. May not beready for Friday. I have to bail out the neighbor with a home project.

Here I am dialing in the action screw holes to bore them out to the 9/16 inch holes I need for the pillars I will use.

pillarholes.jpg

After boring the holes, I inletted the barrel channel. In this case the stock was not inleted to my liking. The barrel was not centered, and was touching in some spots. So I remove a lot of material, and will fill it later.

barrelchaneelinlet.jpg

Here is what it looks like with .060 worth of tape wraped around the barrel, and put into the stock for a test fit. Notice the big voids between the barrel and stock.

chanelspace.jpg

chanelspace2.jpg

More to come later tonight. Now I have to tend to the kids for a while.

Give the Berger 82's a try, you may like them.

I am running 75 Amax's in the one I just got back from William. 20" 1:8 barrel is giving 2800's fps over 24.5 gr Varget in Lapua brass. A blast as a long range rig. So tame you can watch trace and impact in the scope easily. I had planned on Bergers in my gun but had 600 Amaxes and figured heck I'll shoot them up. The gun loves them so it's going be my only precision gun not shooting Bergers. Your pops will love that rig.

I may some day try Berger again. Little history as to why I don't use them anymore. It is personal in nature. When I was a business, I went to the 2009 Shot Show, and ran into the Berger booth. They were very interested in me opening an account with them as a dealer. I didn't really care either way, but I followed through with all the BS paper work involved on Bergers part. I get an email telling me that they required a minimum $4000.00 order to ensure that I was going to sell, and not use them for personal use. REALLY!!!! Who in their right mind spends over $70K to set up a business so they can save pennies on bullets!!! I felt very personally insulted, and told them I did not need Berger bullets. Everything I built shot well under the 1/2 MOA guarantee I offered on my web page, so There was no need for them.

Now back to present time.

Here she is ready for some good old Marine Tex

inlettedstock.jpg

Here is the gooy stuff applied

bedapplyed.jpg

Here I just get it started, and clean as I tighten the action screws, which BTW, I use really long ones for this part.

startbedding.jpg

Here it is all cleaned up, with a little extra around the edges.

claenedup.jpg

More in a little while.

OK, so here was the clean up this afternoon.

This is right after I removed it from the stock.

DSCF0068.jpg

Here are the basic tools I used to get the top side smooth and squared.

DSCF0071.jpg

At the mill is where I will clean the rest of the squeeze out.

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

After clean up, I taped it up and preped it for paint. Shot the colors, and baked it at 150 degrees F. Here is a top shot right after the oven ride. I will show more once I get back to it. May be tomorrow. Thanks for all your comments.

DSCF0077.jpg

Great shop, great rifles and great hands.
Looks like it is very easy to purchase all the parts needed in USA for rifle building and that is very good.
In my country it is almoast impossible to get even barrel blank. My target rifle need to be re-barreled, but there are only one kind of barrel blank for .30cal rifle in my country. It is Italian made barrel blank in diameter ~0.84inches.
Wish to get some barrel blanks from USA, but seems it is not possible!
Have a nice day!
P.S. I will follow this thread!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here is a look at the chamber end after dialing it in and before any cuts.

face.jpg

</div></div>

Do 'smiths save the end cut, manufacture spec end of barrels? Or does it just become chips?
Just wondering....

N

I don't know what others do, but if it's for me, I just turn it into chips. If I were building it for someone else, then they may want to keep it, so I would part it off, and give it to them.

Now, sorry to not get back to the project until today, but I ran into matters that kept me away from my cave for a day. Today when I got home from work, I painted the stock with Polane. This after not happy with the Cerakote job I did. Many use Cerakote to paint stocks, but this one will be my last. From now on I will use Polane or a similar automotive enamel finish. Cerakote will be strictly used on the metal. Here are some quik pics of what I got done today. Maybe tomorrow I will finish the metal.

This is my set up for doing muzzle end work. It will finish at 24 inches, and cap it off with a Holland muzzle brake I've had in a drawer forever.

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg

Man, I love your build threads! Waiting (semi) patiently for the final results. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I hope to have it done tomorrow, but won't get to shoot it until next week. The weekend got very busy with obligations to our friends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called PTG, spoke with Dave, and told him what I wanted to do without sending dummy round. He sent me a reamer marked 088FB 1degree -30. So, since I trust him as always before, I used it. I still have not loaded a dummy to try yet. That will be tomorrow. </div></div>

Really nice build! Great to see the progress!

I used that exact reamer for my 223. You didn't mention the neck, mine is a .252" neck. I am running neck turned lapua brass with 80gr SMK's. I started with 23.5gr of varget & worked up to 24.7gr w/o any pressure signs. The most accurate loads were at 24.1 & 24.3gr. I'll bring my chrono the next time i go out to see which load has the smallest es/sd. All were seated .006" from the lands. I hope this helps!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awp762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called PTG, spoke with Dave, and told him what I wanted to do without sending dummy round. He sent me a reamer marked 088FB 1degree -30. So, since I trust him as always before, I used it. I still have not loaded a dummy to try yet. That will be tomorrow. </div></div>

Really nice build! Great to see the progress!

I used that exact reamer for my 223. You didn't mention the neck, mine is a .252" neck. I am running neck turned lapua brass with 80gr SMK's. I started with 23.5gr of varget & worked up to 24.7gr w/o any pressure signs. The most accurate loads were at
24.1 & 24.3gr. I'll bring my chrono the next time i go out to see which load has the smallest es/sd. All were seated .006" from the lands. I hope this helps! </div></div>

Thanks a lot. The neck on my reamer is .255. I did tell Dave I had no interest in neck turning. Not for this rifle any ways. I will start with the loads you provided, and see what happens. I will post lids later if time permits. If not, then tomorrow for sure.

Ok, here are some in a hurry pics. Sorry for the low quality of the pics. I will try to get better ones after I test it, if it does Ok. I have the loads worked up from 24 grains of Varget to 25.1 grains of Varget. Bad part is, I can't go shooting until Friday night.

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll let you all know how it shoots by Saturday, for better or worst.

Do you electro-etch your receivers and barrels?

I still find it strange to see Wylie, TX on the receivers from Stiller. He literally lives 2 streets over from me =) I should call him up sometime and see if I can come see his operation!

STR if that Varget doesn't print well try some Reloader-15. Start at 24.0 end @ 25.0

Oh and let me know if you ever decide to part with that gem...
wink.gif

Ozzie, what color Cerakote did you do the metal in? ...sniper grey?

that is badass!! i wish i could build my own rifle in a week!! my rifle likes 75gr hornady bthp with 24 grains of varget. shoots very well at 600 yards

Yes, I do use the lectro etching system, but I only use it for the caliber marking on the barrel. Everything else is done by Stiller. If you have an 07 FFL Like I did at the time these were ordered, then they will engrave your company name on their receivers.

If I lived two streets over form Stiller, Jerry would have to give me a job in the afternoons sweeping the floors just to keep from calling the cops to take me away for what would look like stalking.

They have a badass shop with equipment I would love to learn how to use. Plus I could sit around with Russ and BS about shooting and other stuff, LOL.

The Cerakote color is tungsten gray. The Snipers gray looks more bluish.

Hornady AMAX bullets are a favorite of mine, so when I'm out of the SMKs I will be trying them out, so thanks for the load info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ozzie, Looking good!!

Are you running a Clausing Colchester 13/40 Variable Speed lathe???

Mark
</div></div>

Yes, but mine is not variable speed. It has 16 speeds to chose from. Of which I only use about 5. Ok, maybe 7.

Ozzie, that thing with that brake is gonna feel like shooting a pellet gun.

You did an excellent job as usual. Please chrono those loads if you can as I have been thinking of building a 223 as well.

OK, so I really liked it. This is the first 223 I shoot with a brake, because no one ever asked me to put one on before. It is like shooting a glorified pellet gun,LOL. Damn thing is fun to shoot with little effort. Does not like to be handled tight while under fire, so little getting used to it was the only issue. I loaded with varget starting at 24.0 grains and ending at 25.1 grains.

I only chronoed the following.

24.2 gave me 2780 FPS
24.4 gave me 2830 FPS
24.8 gave me 2875 FPS
25.1 gave me 2900 FPS

They were all accurate, but the 24.4 was the best at 2830 FPS

Here are some pics of the targets.

The first two pics show rapid fire 10 shot groups.

photo31.jpg

photo11.jpg

This pic is of a bad group, my fault. The first three went through the same hole. The following two I messed up on.

photo21.jpg

This one isthe best 5 shot group I could get.

photo2-1.jpg

The last two pics are five shot groups. The rifle shot this way for the rest of the 100 rounds I loaded. Now I will load with the Reloader 15, and head out tomorrow for another day of fun.

photo1-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ozzie, Looking good!!

Are you running a Clausing Colchester 13/40 Variable Speed lathe???

Mark
</div></div>

My first REAL lathe was a Clausing Colchester vari-speed 13x40.
I miss that machine.

Thanks man. Just had one along with a glass of Caymus by the waters edge watching Fighters do a fly by for the up coming air and sea show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks man. Just had one along with a glass of Caymus by the waters edge watching Fighters do a fly by for the up coming air and sea show. </div></div>

... apparently you have excellent taste in EVERYTHING!

Well done!

Nice build. It parallels one I'm slowly working on. Thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ohnomrbillk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice build. It parallels one I'm slowly working on. Thanks for sharing. </div></div>

Thank you. I guess I won't be trying the RL 15 loads 'till next week. Raining all day in sunny south Florida today. I'm forced to play in the garage instead. Dreaming up new projects, but don't have all the parts for any one project. Guess I'll do some handloading........

Please show pics of your build once it's done, really would love to see it.