• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 for longer range 7.7 or 7.5 twist

clayne_b

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Looking at doing a .223. I am having a hard time finding a 7.7 or 7.5 twist barrel, any help would be good appreciated locating one.

Thinking of a Rem 700 action

McRees Precision Chassis

Rifle use will be for Coyote hunting, Critter Getter, Local match out to 650 yards

I've used my 7.7 twist 16" barrel out to 500 with good effect. 1000 was pretty tough with a moderate load and 75 grain Hornady's.

Unless you want to shoot the 90gr VLD's you really only need an 8" twist to stabilize pretty much everything else. You will need a 7" twist for the 90's and it still usually takes some work to get them to shoot.

I love my 1:7 22" 223AI with 80gr Amax @ 2900fps...the added stability factor with 80s when its cold & near sea level sold me vs. a 1:8 barrel.

On mine i just used a 24" 1:8 shoots 75gr amax and 80gr berger vlds well out to 850yds
The 75gr amax would work well on 500yd coyotes

Gary

Unless you want to shoot the 90gr VLD's you really only need an 8" twist to stabilize pretty much everything else.

A 1-8 barrel won't reliably stabilize the 80amax, which is in my opinion, the premier affordable long range/high BC .224" bullet. 1-8 is damn close, and some will do it, but if he's got the 80amax in his plans, a 1:7.7, 1:7.5 or 1:7 is a better choice.

I know that Hawk Hill Precision is cutting 7.5tw 22 caliber centerfire barrels in the next couple days. I have 2 on order to finish at 18" with a custom contour, I have several others from Hawk Hill, they shoot great and the CS is fantastic. All total, between myself and 2 friends we have 8 more barrels inbound, you might be able to jump in to get a 7.5tw with us and cut your lead time significantly.

rifle barrels - Hawk Hill Custom

My gas guns are both 1:7 and seem to love the 80 gr bullet, oddly enough they group the 40 gr vmax over h322 the best though. A least to 300 yards then the wind makes them a bit of a challenge