• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.223 freebore and mag feeding

Boozer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2017
Getting ready to order my barrel for a .223 trainer style rifle that I'm building. Picking up a remage from Northland shooters supply. The 2 readers I'm looking at are their Wylde with 78 thou freebore, and their Match with 90 thou freebore. If I go with the Match chamber, can anyone tell me from personal experience if I'll be able to shoot the 90 Berger and still feed from a notched MDT or similiar altered AICS pattern mag with internal length of 2.55 or so?

A .090" freebore is too short in my opinion to be able to take advantage of the bc of the 90s. It won't be able to get them up to speed enough to make them better than the 80s. FWIW, I run a .100" for 80s and with a little file work on the accurate mags they are the perfect combo out of a 223. Mine is an AI. If you're really wanting to shoot the 90s where they shine in a 223 you really should have a longer freebore, in the .150"+ range

I shoot the 90's in Ftr at 2850fps but my freebore is in the .210 range. You can make them work with a shorter throat but you'll end up in a lower node around 2650-2725 which is still good. I'd go with 90 SMK's vs Berger's because they are nearly .100 shorter and more jump tolerant. Go with the .090 freebore

Thanks guys. I have done quite a bit of reading on the topic, and if wishes were horses I would do it a little differently. I do realize that it really is best to run a longer throat with the big 90's, but there's some budget issues at play here. I'm going with a remage from NSS because I save on the gunsmithing $$, and the longest throat they offer is the .090. Also I am committed to being able to mag feed, because I would eventually like to get into some PRS style matches. I could go with a longer throat and a wyatts bottom metal and mag, but good god is it expensive. In the end the 80s may work better for me, and that wouldn't be the end of the world.

I've got the match chamber from them and I'm at 2.485" coal .020 off the lands with 80 SMKs. Hope that helps.