• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes .223 holes at 500yrds

25IA260

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
NC
Howdy Folks
i'm wondering what kind of spotter scope would be able to see .223 hole on white paper at 500yrds

700 /.223 .. weaver 36X... barely can see them at 400 when the light an heatwaves are kind to me...

i was tossing the idea of a Orion ULX 66mm ED Zoom Spotting Scope. wondering whay you'all think .. is it up to the task ?

private club no pits drive to target but going cold is pain when other dhooter are present

all comments an recomedations welcom...

Thanks

Re: .223 holes at 500yrds

Not saying it is impossible, but given the amount of mirage present and various other things- that's a tall order.

Might I suggest those shoot n see large targets for such an endeavor? You can just patch the holes with small ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask if you can setup steel, instant audible and visual impacts.....once you shoot steel, you'll never go back.

Kirk R </div></div>

What he said.

In theory, a really good spotter (NOT THE ORION ULX 66ED) under ideal conditions may be able to resolve 5.56mm holes at 500yds...but you really aren't going to be able to do it with any reasonable consistency from even the best scopes with standard B&W targets.

For even attempting to do what you are asking, I'd suggest a minimum of an 80mm scope (bigger, brighter, better), along with a fixed power eyepiece, and the best tripod that you can get.

Here is an article that might help you (keep in mind the writer was trying to do what you are trying...but with a 6mm round instead of 5.56mm):

http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

That article is getting a little older now, but in reality, the spotter world hasn't really changed that much but for the addition of some newer, high end, HD/ED/etc. lensed spotters. You can add the following to the list of possibles:

Leica APO 82mm

Kowa TSN-883 or 884

With all that said...I'm with the others on getting into steel targets. Invest in some quality steel from one of the many folks here on the Hide offering quality targets and save the thousands you'll have to spend on a spotter that will ultimately not meet your expectations.

I am in the market for a good spotting scope and bought the Konus 20-60x100. The reviews on Optics Planet and others are awesome for both 20-60x80 and 20-60x100. One reviewer claims he sees 0.22 cal out to 400, and .30 caliber out to 600. There is several on this forum that recommended the 80mm on another thread. Here's the website:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-20-60x100-spotting-scope.html
If you plan on buying it, B&H has the best price and availability: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36...ting_Scope.html
The scope is not my hands yet so I cannot offer a review, but hope the information helps.

I like the steel idea too, buy a can of spray paint orange and you will see your hits nicely(as well hear them) out to 1,000. Or setup a remote camera if funds are not an issue pretty easy to do. Or shoot prairie dogs then you get to see a nice pink mist(if you shoot them in the gut) or the infamous death dance(shoot them in the head) Way better than paper or steel oh wait your in NC...

don't buy any of that cheapo Chinese stuff unless you like helping out communist, like lead poisoning, or think that some chinese 9 year old can build a better product than an American man.

Thank you all for the replies an comments.. some interesting input

i really like that artical on 6BR... Very helpful thanks

i guess thinking $ its an impossable task at my level

i'll keep dreaming for now ...
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the steel idea too, buy a can of spray paint orange and you will see your hits nicely(as well hear them) out to 1,000. Or setup a remote camera if funds are not an issue pretty easy to do. Or shoot prairie dogs then you get to see a nice pink mist(if you shoot them in the gut) or the infamous death dance(shoot them in the head) Way better than paper or steel oh wait your in NC... </div></div>

I think a target camera is the way to go. It's going to be my next purchase. Cheaper (or close to) than a high end spotting scope and a lot easier to get feedback with.

http://www.targetteck.com/
http://www.target-cam.com/

Very difficult to see 22 cal holes at 500 yards regardless of the scope you buy.

A scope with that much magnification is going to be so susceptible to mirage, you'll have to do all your shooting on a glacier on cloudy days. The lighting has to be just right or I can't read .204 holes in plain paper targets @200 yards with my Burris spotter @75x.

Regardless of the scope, splatter targets would help but they're a pricey solution.

Wow, never heard of a target camera before. What a great concept, looks like the way to go