• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 in a 5.56 accuracy

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
Looking to get another barrel for my SBR. Currently it's a DDMK18 10.5. I'm looking to go with a 12.5.

The gun is going to be used for 2 gun matches out to 300yds.

Everything being equal ammo wise, is there a difference? I'm not asking about general shooting 223 in a 556; just accuracy.

The reason I'm asking and not just ordering a 223 barrel is I want the versatility of being able to shoot both types.

The 5.56 chamber in my personal experience (of two barrels so chambered) while good, have never shot as tight as the wylde chambered barrels. Not sure if that helps you in any way...

If you get a barrel with a Wylde chamber, you can shoot ANY .223/5.56 ammo in your firearm. The big benefit of the Wylde chamber is that it will allow you to get the most accuracy out of the .223 loads that you want to shoot and STILL allow you to shoot any 5.56 ammo with total safety.

stupid question...the 14.5 barrels are mid length gas systems. from what i understand, that will give a softer recoil impulse over carbine. please correct me if i'm wrong.

i called in a favor for a hand guard, and the hand guard measures 12.625 long. i don't want to ask to send it back to get a shorter one. i actually wasn't even ready to commit to it, but i'm committed now lol. it's kind of a long story. i definitely wanna go 12.5 for the barrel. can i order a 14.5 mid length and have it cut to 13"? is there a rule of thumb that dictates where the gas port is from the muzzle? people say that the 12.5s have a softer recoil impulse than the 10.5s, and the mid length gas systems are softer than the carbine. i have no idea. i'm not really into ARs.

how can i determine if i will be able to use the HG with a 12.5 barrel without having either one on hand? i need to get the barrel ordered asap.

looking at the pictures, it looks like i might be able to lop off the end of the hand guard on my buddies band saw. that might be an option.

sorry for the moron questions.

also im not finding any readily available 223 wylde barrels. any suggestions? i thought i saw somewhere that all of the bcm barrels are 223 wylde, but that web page shows 556nato.

Last edited:
I have a franken gun AR that I use for 2 gun matches chambered in 5.56. I shoot Norma 55 gr 223 ammo out of it, and it’s very accurate compared to a lot of the 5.56 rds I’ve fired through it (with the one exception being the Winchester match 77 gr 5.56 ammo- that Ammo is tits in my rifle!)

Mid-length in that barrel length will shoot 'softer'. I much prefer mid to carbine.

I agree with 308Pirate that the 223/5.56 controversy is much ado about not so much. I handload for 5.56 chambers using PPU 223 brass from 55FMJ ammo, which has thicker necks (or so I am told by my friend who makes his own 300AAC brass), and I see no degradation in accuracy.

Greg