• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 powders

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Also what are some good powders for .223 from Alliant or IMR or any other brands.

52-53gr.
62gr.
68-69gr.
77gr.

Re: .223 powders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also what are some good powders for .223 from Alliant or IMR or any other brands.

52-53gr.
62gr.
68-69gr.
77gr.</div></div>

As nativecraft mentioned RL-15 and Varget are the most used. I used Varget for years in Highpower comp. Then Benchmark came out and I used that to get Gold and make the Presidents-100 at Camp Perry.Also Benchmark meters better.

62 grain bullets and under, I have the best luck with Benchmark and Win 748.

With bullets over 62 grains, Varget has given me the best results.

55 and under, I use W748. 69-75, a full case (26.5)gr of Ramshot Big Game.

Varget has worked great for me in 69 and 75grns.

I use AA 2230 in my 223 bolt gun with 50 grain nosler ballistic tips. It meters spot on and has been very good for me.

TAC is a good powder for USGI ball-equivalent loads, being in ths same burn rate range (roughly) as W748. Big Game is more like W760/H414, and Hunter is more like H4350.

For .223; I'd use TAC for 40-60gr, and Big Game for 62-77gr. Never went with any higher bullet weights than that, but for the heavies, I'd try the Big Game, and if it was too fast, try the Hunter.

Greg

I go with H4895 for all of my 223/5.56 loads. I find it gives better velocity than varget. I have used varget in the past but prefer H4895.

I use nothing but RL-15 in my service gun, 24.3 grains with 77 SMK's and 25.0 with 80 grain SMK's, they both come out at around 2750 FPS. Have never had a failure at the local ranges nor Perry. Headed out there next week.

Thanks Greg! Have you tried Hunter in your .260 Rem? I'm looking for an alternative to H4350....

I have used TAC with VERY good results. This is the powder that Black Hills uses for the Red Box 50gr Vmax load. I just duplicate their load....24.8gns of TAC OAL 2.250. Shoots sub 1/2" five shot groups at 100yrds out of my Tikka T3 Lite....and has bagged many a yote as seen in these videos from a couple of my last winters hunts

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqaZfq9BSMY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqaZfq9BSMY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzYipxo8MrQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzYipxo8MrQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Good afternoon. I an a new reloader and i have a question about Ballistic coeff. Is it the higher coeffeciant the more aerodynamic the bullit is? is this correct?

Thanks Kirk

Right now I am using H335 and W748. Just found some 748 at a shop so I picked some up. Powder has been tight around here.

I've gotten the best out of my Sig 556 (1:7 barrel) with 77gr. SMK's over 24 gr. of TAC. That's about 2550 fps. out of a 16" tube. I've also gotten nice performance out of the same bullets with slower powders like 4895 and 4064 but they don't meter nearly as well.

62 gr. bullets over 20 gr. of 4198 is also a very accurate load in this rifle, but it doesn't cycle consistently at the normal gas valve setting without a can on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alliant's Reloader-15 is the .223 powder. Either that or Hodgdon's Varget. </div></div>

These are the two that work best for me.

I'm getting good results with 748 with 55 and 62gr bullets. I load 223 on a 650 so I need a ball powder, how ever I load 308 on a single stage press and 748 has given the best results there too.

I just today attempted to duplicate the Black Hills 77gr SMK load. Rifle is a Tikka T3 Varmint with 24" 1:8 twist barrel. Ambient temperature 94 deg.

BHA 77gr SMK match ammo
avg. velocity = 2774 fps
st. deviation = 15.8 fps

77gr SMK, 23.6 gr TAC, Rem 7-1/2 primers, new Winchester brass, OAL = 2.26"
avg. velocity = 2778 fps
st. deviation = 15.9 fps

New cases had primer pocket deburred and neck sized and chamfered, but were not trimmed.

An article in the latest issue of American Rifleman presents some results for temperature dependence of powders. His 223 load using TAC showed zero change in muzzle velocity between 0 deg F and 70 deg F. Seems to be good stuff and more available than some other powders.

I've had good success with TAC as well with the 77 gr. Sierra HPBT in my 18" MSTN AR.

Given my barrel length, I'm loading hotter than the bolt guns with 24" barrels.
24.3-24.4 gr. TAC (Win brass, WSR)
Yields 2730 fps average with 14.8 SD (at 6000+ ft. altitude, 80 degrees).

Accuracy is pretty good as I shot 3 .5-.6 MOA 10-shot groups at 425yds.
And my experience is like Guinness's -- I can usually get it w/in a week.

I defer to others on various other powder results. I was just trying to get a serviceable 3-gun load with available components and TAC was recommended -- it's worked well for me in this application.

69 SMK over 25.4 grains (this is above max) at 2.250 OAL in mixed LC brass with Wolf Small Rifle Mag primers...light crimp on Dillon dies.

2880 fps from my 18 inch JP with 1-8 twist.

I keep trying to make Varget work with 69g SMKs in a match barrel (1 in 8) because I have almost an entire 8lb can of it, but IMR4320 wins every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How well does Benchmark meter? </div></div>

Very good.

Hunter is the ideal Ramshot powder for the .260 Rem and the 140's. Think of it as H4350 in ball form. Since most serious .260's wear custom barrels; I'd be hesitant to specify loads. But as a ballpark, I'd consider the 140 SMK and A-Max, also the 140 SST for hunting, the 142SMK and 139 Scenar, and start my loads at 42.0gr. First things first, do incremental pressure testing for <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> barrel. The 120 Nosler BT and 120SMK are very good for semi's and upclose, and the 95 V-Max is a flat, accurate, and devastating varmint bullet. For the 120's and down, the Hunter will work fine, but Big game is also worth trying, maybe even TAC for the 95. My 95 V-Max load is 47gr of H4350, a Hodgdon published <span style="font-style: italic">minimum</span> load. I use the minimum because I'm being cautious about running bullets at 3400-3500fps through a 1:8" twist.

Greg

BgBmBoo you sent my Wifes dogs into a tizzy. The sound on my computer is down so low I can barely hear it in my lap but those dogs heard it in another room of the house. They knew exactly what that was they have heard it many many times before.

For my 223 I shoot a 55gr ball and I was working up loads with Varget and I did not like my groups so I switched to Benchmark and my groups have settled way down.

whatever i can get my paws on anymore. i prefer RL15 or H4895

Im not sure why but NOBODY seems to use H322 except for me and one of my buddies. Its more fun in a bolt gun where you can load them hotter but hes running all of his service rifle loads with H322. It has been incredibly accurate with everything from 45grn V-maxes up the the 77grn Matchkings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PFCSkoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure why but NOBODY seems to use H322 except for me and one of my buddies. Its more fun in a bolt gun where you can load them hotter but hes running all of his service rifle loads with H322. It has been incredibly accurate with everything from 45grn V-maxes up the the 77grn Matchkings </div></div>I use 322 for 55 gr mil surp stuff just to plink in my AR and Varget for 69's and up. 322 always seems to be available, too.