• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223. rem 69gr sierra match king load development help?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I am helping a buddy out and working up a load for his 223. Since i dont shoot 223 and never really have much i was sure where to begin with it. I picked up Varget and was able to figure out 24-26grs seems to be kind of the sweet spot for most peoples guns but what about COAL? im not really sure where to be running it. it looks like a lot of people are around 2.60" i believe or that might be what the book says but have been had better luck with them running them long! any help would be greatly appreciated!

I shoot the Sierra 69gr bullet a lot and I use H335 or TAC at 23.7 grains in a Savage 223 Hunter.

I have shot it it 24.5 grains too with good results.

On my guns like the 23.7 grans and I can shoot 5 shots with a 25 cent can cover the shots.

I am also using the CC primers with LC or Lapua brass.

I shoot the bullet .020 from the lands on the barrel. That makes the COAL 2.36.
This is a bolt gun on a semi auto I would stay at COAL 2.25

Last edited:
FWIW in my JP 18" supermatch, I load .223 Lapua brass w/ the Sierra MK 69gr @ a COAL of 2.235 behind a 23.3gr charge of Benchmark. Gets me anywhere from .35-.50 MOA if I do my part.

I used Quickload to get in the ballpark - highly recommend it if you have a copy or know someone that does. Will save you from a bunch of OCW testing

Thanks,

any other opinions on COL for 69gr sierra match king in a bolt gun?

I'm getting excellent results with Varget and 69 SMKs in Lapua brass. Sierra's data sheet for this bullet and Varget (in a bolt gun) lists a starting load of 19.9g and a max of 26.4g. The usual cautions apply - start low and work up, measuring accuracy and watching for pressure signs. FWIW, I had a problem with pressure signs using CCI400 primers - primer flow around the firing pin at 25.0g, with a few rounds showing flow at as little as 24.5g. A switch to Remington 7 1/2s (this was last year - you took what you could find) and there are no signs of high pressure up to 26.0g of Varget, the most I loaded. I've settled on 25.7g as the accuracy load for this bullet in my barrel with my components. YMMV, of course.

As for COL, the Sierra spec sheet also lists 2.260, which I believe is the SAAAMI spec for maximum OAL. But one of the things you'll want to fiddle with if you're looking for peak accuracy is bullet setback from the rifling. Here's an article on a quick way to find what works best for your specific setup Berger Bullets Seating Method for VLD Bullets - A "Sweet Spot" with a Long Bullet Jump will give the best accuracy.. But read this, too, for the cautions about high pressure from "too much" setback in small cases like 223 Berger Tips for Loading VLD Bullets « Daily Bulletin . I have found best accuracy for my rifle and components to be with a bullet setback of 0.063 from the lands, which gives my loads an OAL of ~2.225. (NOTE: You really should use a bullet comparator attachment for your micrometer when measuring setback and setting depth on your bullet seating die, as the manufacturing process can give quite a bit of variation in the tip length of SMKs - hence the "~" in my OAL number. The comparator lets you measure to a specific diameter on the bullet's ogive, which is a much more consistent measurement bullet to bullet. The Hornady comparator body and a 224 insert are <$23 at Midway, for example.)

Loads for a BOLT GUN. Caveat: Go carefully and work up.

Attachments

• 69SMK.jpg
    69SMK.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 480
BM2 24grs. Sweet load not hot but plenty oomph.

I use 25.4 gr Varget in mixed LC brass loaded to 2.260 for the 69gr SMK w/ CCI #450 in a stock 700 tactical 1/9 16.5".

A data point on what seems to work for me -

Semi Auto - 69gr SMK / LC Brass / 23.5 TAC / BR4 / COAL = 2.245

23.0 gr. of V-V N135, 5 rnd. group in a factory Savage 12 "BTCSS" Varmint. 1-9 Twist / 26" brrl. @ 100 yds.

69 SMK's for 0.325 MOA.

Added: 2.280" COAL

I use 25.6 grn of Varget, Rem 7 1/2 primers behind 69 SMKs in Win or Lapua brass in a Rem SPS-T with 20" barrel. Seating depth depends on the throat lenght of your particular rifle, there is no "one size fits all". Mine likes to jump 0.025".

The OCW work up is very good to determine charge weight and once that is nailed down, works to find the best seating depth.

OFG

Anybody use H4895? If so, what is your load?

Thanks.
24.6 in Lapua brass. 3000fps 23" 5r. federal loads them @2.255 - ish- I ran them .030 off. These smoked the FGMM load speed and accuracy. Better have a good chamber, bolt gun. These would kill brass in a Remington chamber. 6 loads Lapua brass with SAC cut chamber.

Anybody use H4895? If so, what is your load?

Thanks.

I have a 700 SPS Tac 20"
I use H4895. I have tried 26g under a 69smk. But it blew a primer on a warm day here. I am going to ladder test it on Monday. 24g-26.1g and pick a mid to low out of a node.

Lapua brass, N 540 25.8gr, CCI 400, 0.2 mm off , 15 rounds -59mm = 2.32" = 0.68 MOA /300m (330yr) Factory savage 12 BTCSS

Last edited:
my 223 is my custom AR. my 75g horn bthp I load to 2.266/7 with 24.6g of benchmark, LC brass, and cci #41 primers, with a crimp from lee factory crimp die. it just barely fits in a mag, feeds properly, and shoots well. I shoot off a bipod and no rear bag with my black baby. that group was 6 shots, one being coldbore with no wind, then a steady 3mph started.
View attachment 41611

24.5 varget, rem 7.5 BR primers, win cases with 69 mk or 75 amax works great and about ten reloadings until the necks split.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinecone - I have a RRA 16 in Varmint, Wylde chamber, 1-8 which loves 69gr SMK with 24.8gr of H4895 in LC brass at 2.24 OAL. Three shots off a bench at 100yds were 0.272 inches center-to-center! Velocity from chrony is 2,840 fps. CCI #400 primer.

Last edited:
Pinecone - I have a RRA 16 in Varmint, Wilde chamber, 1-8 which loves 69gr SMK with 24.8gr of H4895 in LC brass at 2.24 OAL. Three shots off a bench at 100yds were 0.272 inches center-to-center! Velocity from chrony is 2,840 fps.

Great, thanks. I have a White Oak NM upper on order. :)

Five shots-go ahead and take a guess which one was the LAST FRIGGIN' SHOT!!!!! ;-)

Win brass, CCI BR primers, H4895, Sierra Matchking 69 grain. Dillon 550 but one shell at a time and powder finished off with weighing and a trickle powder drop.

Savage 12 FLV with a few custom things I added myself. Barrel is stock.

Oh yeah, 100 yards.

Attachments

• savage1.jpg
    savage1.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
My RR 24" and White Oak 20" love the 69 gr match kings. Coal is 2.258 with 25 gr. of RE 15. Remington 7 1/2 primers. Lake city brass. When I'm doing my part I can achieve 5 shot groups between a half inch to three quarters of an inch at 100 yards. Had it out to as far as 500 (RR upper) and am happy with their performance.