• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Rem Manson Fullbore T.15 reamer

jholmes

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Minnesota
All,

Looking for input on this reamer/throat dimensions for my umpcoming .223 Trainer build to shoot the 80+gr pills through a 1:7" barrel. and also if anyone has one to rent or possibly sell.

From: https://mansonreamers.com/product/223-remington-fullbore-t-15/

""
The 223 Remington Fullbore T.15 uses the standard 223 Remington headspace gauges.
The 223 Remington Fullbore T.15 uses the standard 223 Remington Roughing Chamber Reamer.
Designed for Berger 85.5 & Lapua .223 brass (Max case len 1.765).
Freebore note: Due to the 15 degree transition, this chamber has the equivalent of .195 freebore vs a chamber using the standard 45 degree transition. The length of the 15° transition is .0404 longer than a 45° transition would be. Depending on the the lot of Berger 85.5's, the bullet of a cartridge loaded to a COAL of ~2.635 should be just touching the leade/lands. Approx. 50% of the neck will be in contact with bearing surface. Base of bullet will be slightly forward of body/shoulder junction.

Designed with similar proportion of bullet in the neck as the very successful 2013 FTR reamer and with similar throat
geometry to many of the winning ELR chambers.
""

Thanks for any input!

Call Manson Reamers and ask to speak with Ray Gross, he will know what you need.
John

Thanks! i will certainly reach out to them.

As far as use: I'm planning to primarily build this as a trainer and occasionally shoot PRS Tac Class and Open, So 77gr to 90 gr projectiles. 200yrs-1100yrds. its a secondary chambering in my rifle, as i also shoot 6BR.
Does anyone have field feedback on this chambering? how does it work with other bullets besides the 85.5gr Bergers specified by Manson rifles?

are there other custom throat profiles that would be a better choice for my application?

Thanks all in advance.

Thanks! i will certainly reach out to them.

As far as use: I'm planning to primarily build this as a trainer and occasionally shoot PRS Tac Class and Open, So 77gr to 90 gr projectiles. 200yrs-1100yrds. its a secondary chambering in my rifle, as i also shoot 6BR.
Does anyone have field feedback on this chambering? how does it work with other bullets besides the 85.5gr Bergers specified by Manson rifles?

are there other custom throat profiles that would be a better choice for my application?

Thanks all in advance.
For mag feeding you’ll want to keep the oal below 2.55 which is the max on aics pattern mags. The chamber you’re asking about is designed for single feeding.
Tac class limits you to 77gr so you’ll have to stay below that. Something with a .062 wylde to .100 would be a more appropriate feeebore length.

I have that reamer and it is for single feed. I usually cut a 223 Wylde chamber for 77SMK or similar and 223 Rem with a custom throat .100-.120 for heavier bullets 85.5/90 grain Bergers to be mag fed.

I have that reamer and it is for single feed. I usually cut a 223 Wylde chamber for 77SMK or similar and 223 Rem with a custom throat .100-.120 for heavier bullets 85.5/90 grain Bergers to be mag fed.
This is the way.

Approximately .125" will allow an 80 to work well and then as throat wears you could move to 90's and not have them seated too deep.
The .195" reamer was designed for single feeding 90's and will pretty quickly wear to point that the bullet is barely inside the case. Plus with that reamer you HAVE TO buy 90's. Might as well move to a 6mm.

Any particular reamer’s recommended that work well for 77’s to 85.5’s?
Buy a Wylde or a CLE reamer, much tighter in the body dimensions, and a separate .224" throating reamer and make the jump any distance you want.

So i'm understanding three options to achieve this:
  • use either a custom reamer with the longer throat, say .100-120? What brand reamer?
  • cut the chamber using a .223rem SAAMI spec reamer and use a throat reamer to push the throat to the desired dimensions after chambering
  • cut the chamber using a .223 wylde reamer and use a throat reamer to push the throat to the desired dimensions after chambering
Also note, I already have a .223 Rem SAAMI reamer.
any preferences one way or another? Is it better to start with the .223 Wylde, with the wider tapered neck dimensions, or .223rem SAAMI spec?

1708622692565.png

Attachments

• 1708622705748.png
    1708622705748.png
    146 KB · Views: 14
FYI - the Capstone/Berger 85.5 load data is 30in barrels, ie, its Palma specific...not PRS
Keep in mind if your barrel is 26", you are FOUR INCHES SHORT of hitting their MV numbers...

Reactions: bpd459
thanks for the heads up. I’m not chasing speed just yet. Initial goal is to get a chamber that groups well with the heavier bullet options.

The Wylde chamber just tightened up a NATO in the neck and freebore. It's really not a match chamber. It does work well in an AR though. In a bolt gun using a tighter body and freebore will work better.

If you already have the 223 SAAMI, then definitely just add the 224" throating reamer to push the freebore out to .125" or a little longer.

Just use a unithroater. That Manson reamer is going to be WAY long for mag feeding.

I have a standard .223 with .125fb. Shoots 75/80 ELDs incredibly well. Also shoots 85.5s well enough, but not what I would consider “optimal.”

I also have a .223 Ackley with .155fb. Much better suited for the 85.5, 88, and 90s. You can shoot the 75/80s but they’re seated way out (probably too far) and still jumping like 40-50+ thou.

So somewhere between the .093” and .125” match reamer specs should be about perfect for your uses.

Reactions: Xcount
I have a barrel chambered with that reamer and it shoots excellent with 88elds and 85.5 bergers from a modified accurate mag. I shot very well with it at some 1 day matches.
20220403_163100.jpg

20220403_163132.jpg
20220403_163207.jpg