• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 sniper or not?

Chad429

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
So I have a remington 700 VTR in the .223 and have been building it into a sniper rifle. What are others opinion on it?

Attachments

• 20210223_170457.jpg
    20210223_170457.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 1,178
Hi,

Gotta ask before someone else does, lol.

What have you been doing to build it into a sniper rifle?

Sincerely,
Theis
Not much really. I replaced stock for a free floating barrel, installed a detachable mag well, upgraded the trigger to a steady 8oz pull, replaced bolt knob and slammed on a good optic 6-24x50. Quarantine had me really bored lol. Looking into getting barrel threaded.

I assume you have plans to paint the stainless barrel and action soon so it doesn't have a nice shiny reflection out in the field. Getting some jute and a ghillie will be beneficial. Good planning on getting your scope as low as possible. You will want your scope, rifle, and body as low as possible to prevent silhouetting yourself and keeping any counter snipers from landing a head shot on you. I read that tip here in some other thread quite a while ago. Wish I could remember, I would link it for you.

edit. I really don't know if you can thread that triangular VTR barrel. Curious if you can actually do it or if the walls are too thin at points. Anyone here every cut threads on a VTR barrel?

Not much really. I replaced stock for a free floating barrel, installed a detachable mag well, upgraded the trigger to a steady 8oz pull, replaced bolt knob and slammed on a good optic 6-24x50. Quarantine had me really bored lol. Looking into getting barrel threaded.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. For the newer guys that might read this thread; can you please explain what any of that does to make that particular rifle a sniper rifle?

What does the 8oz trigger do?
What does the bolt knob do?

Sincerely,
Theis

Are you a sniper or are you competing? Just having fun on the weekend? I couldn't give you much advice about sniper rifles because I have never done any kind of shooting in that role.

As far as precision rifles are concerned, it looks like you have a decent start on something you can use to make hits on small targets at long distances.

Before doing anything else to that gun, I would try to figure out what ammo it likes the best. If you don't reload, pick up some 69 and 77 grain Federal Gold Medal. Once you have that figured out, buy or reload as much of it as you can, then try to get some formal rifle training.

You might need to thread the barrel yourself. Read somewhere that most gunsmiths won't touch the VTR barrels due to a lack of triangular mounting hardware.

But heck yeah(!), buy a banished 30, and you can suppress all kinds of things, including your pistols.

P.S. don't ever use a bore snake.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. For the newer guys that might read this thread; can you please explain what any of that does to make that particular rifle a sniper rifle?

Sincerely,
Theis
The light trigger helps keep from pulling off target.
The tactical over sized knob helps cycle the bolt accurately and is easier to clear jams.

The light trigger helps keep from pulling off target.
The tactical over sized knob helps cycle the bolt accurately and is easier to clear jams.

So what trigger did you put in ut

A sniper rifle is a high precision center fire rifle extending from short range to long range accurately, nevermind the caliber size just the distance and accuracy count when hitting a target. I may be wrong here. I was thought that any rifle that shoots accurately and effectively can be used as a sniper rifle.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
It’s a rifle posted on “snipers” hide. Wherein 90% of the audience has never been in, built, or done anything close to being a “sniper” besides shooting scoped rifles. Which is arguably the most straightforward aspect of the craft. But whatever keep harassing the guy.

A sniper rifle is a high precision center fire rifle extending from short range to long range accurately, nevermind the caliber size just the distance and accuracy count when hitting a target. I may be wrong here. I was thought that any rifle that shoots accurately and effectively can be used as a sniper rifle.
A sniper rifle is employed a sniper. A position in Mil/LE. Not just a rifle with a bunch of shit on it to impress your high school friends with

What you have is a rifle that can make semi accurate shots to distance on occasion and looks like it was put together by a 14 year old airsoft guy who got a silly hand me down by someone who realized how dumb that barrel and configuration is and got a real rifle

Chad, you’re going to get a lot of crap because of some of your equipment choices and the way you’re wording things, and simply some of the things you’ve said are stupid/wrong in the ears of anyone who knows what they’re talking about.

but we all have to start somewhere, so I’ll give you a couple pointers:

1. If you have to ask people on the internet for confirmation of your setup, you’re a long ways from a sniper or even being qualified to use that word. Say you want to build a precision rifle and you won’t get made fun of as much.

2. Your caliber choice will prevent many of the “sniper” type abilities of a precision rile from ever being realized.

3. IF (and it’s a big IF) you’re going to start with a Remington, either replace the barrel with a match barrel or at the very least start with one of there scendero or other heavy barrels. Your strange triangle barrel is stupid gimmick marketing.

4. read these forums... for at least a year, and you will get enough knowledge to post without getting dog piled. Right now you don’t know how much it sounds like you have no idea what you’re talking about.
That’s ok, we’ve all been there, but read a lot and post a little until you get your feet under you. 🙂

It’s a rifle posted on “snipers” hide. Wherein 90% of the audience has never been in, built, or done anything close to being a “sniper” besides shooting scoped rifles. Which is arguably the most straightforward aspect of the craft. But whatever keep harassing the guy.
I think thats his point

99% of people here aren't snipers. But they also don't claim to be snipers or have sniper rifles.

Even the guys with perfect clones

I think thats his point

99% of people here aren't snipers. But they also don't claim to be snipers or have sniper rifles.

Even the guys with perfect clones
My thought process is it maybe it’s a non-qualified non-sniper lot of civilians fucking with a dude because he used the term sniper rifle. Seems a bit much.
But yeah I gotcha.

Lol, everyone here has a lot of good points about sniper's and sniper rifles, but the real question is.... What makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle????? Or is it just the sniper him/her self. I only ask because I have a small amount of knowledge on what sniping is.

Reactions: demonjigger
to answer your question, a fixed 10x scope, 20 year old tech, and a Harris bipod. That’s what makes a rifle into a sniper rifle. Can’t forget the lack of adjustment in the check piece and the butt plate

I assume you have plans to paint the stainless barrel and action soon so it doesn't have a nice shiny reflection out in the field. Getting some jute and a ghillie will be beneficial. Good planning on getting your scope as low as possible. You will want your scope, rifle, and body as low as possible to prevent silhouetting yourself and keeping any counter snipers from landing a head shot on you. I read that tip here in some other thread quite a while ago. Wish I could remember, I would link it for you.

edit. I really don't know if you can thread that triangular VTR barrel. Curious if you can actually do it or if the walls are too thin at points. Anyone here every cut threads on a VTR barrel?
I've seen one threaded but not sure we're it was done.

to answer your question, a fixed 10x scope, 20 year old tech, and a Harris bipod. That’s what makes a rifle into a sniper rifle. Can’t forget the lack of adjustment in the check piece and the butt plate
Lol that makes sense.

Okay then, what is a sniper?
It's a US Service member or LE officer that has been validated in all essential field/Marksmanship task with a issued weapon system M110 or M24 or M40

Example
Service member graduates Fort Benning sniper course. He is sniper qualified. But a SNIPER goes on preform those skills sets as a part of a platoon.

Reactions: Chad429

Hi,

Well sorry if that bothers you but in case you haven't noticed it is getting ready to be open season on firearms rights in the USA shortly.

So the last thing we need is some guy running around "Muh Sniper Rifle, Muh Sniper Rifle" with 8 ounce trigger and "tactical" bolt knob when at best he has a precision rifle...period!!

We bitch when the Dems over dramatize a situation with sensational catch phrases and "tactical clichés" but not call it out when someone in the firearms industry does it....

You did notice the thread title right??? "Sniper or Not".......

Sincerely,
Theis