• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.223 Subsonic loads

A subsonic load for the .223 is essentially pointless. What you end up with is basically a very unwieldy process for duplicating the performance of a subsonic .22LR. It won't cycle and it won't do much more than a .22LR itself.

A better approach would be setting up the AR with a .22LR conversion, then feeding it with standard (subsonic) velocity .22LR ammunition. At least it will function effectively, and you'll have something that's capable of defeating small-medium sized rodents.

This very same question comes up time after time after time here. The general gist of the discussion boils down to what I have just presented you.

Greg

Last edited:
Can anyone give some ideas ,load data or any type of .223 to be used in a suppressed AR15.

Work down slowly from 6 grains of Blue Dot until you reach your target velocity. Depending on your bullet and altitude, some of the longer bullets may not stabilize. I'd start with the heaviest bullet you think you can stabilize for your twist rate, altitude, and anticipated conditions. It's possible, just not trivial.

Also consider getting a 300 AAC upper if it's in your budget. That's a much better subsonic performer and since you reload not uber expensive to shoot.

What ever you do, shoot the loads without the can first to check stability. This will prevent baffle strikes.

I've loaded 5.8grn of Trailboss with a 75grn Hornady HPBT and Fed primers. It's a bit fast for where i'm at, so maybe drop it down to 5.5grns and you'll be subsonic. sure is fun to shoot. pellet gun quiet too.

xdeano