• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 trainer- brass help please

Sam19kilo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 4, 2019
    WY
    This is probably a stupid question but I’m curious if anyone uses random brass for their .223 trainers or if they just use all the same head stamps? I have 50-75 norma, than 100 GFL, and 100 federal, some lake city. As long as I’m under 1MOA with 80gr bullets, I’ll be happy.

I was using LC in my .223 for ever. Found primed Wolf brass for $130/k and have been shooting it since. It weighed close to the LC and my loads crossed over.

Last edited:
    Yeah, that wolf brass is $130 for 1000. That's kind of a no brainer for training ammo. That's what I'd use too...

I have not had that good of luck with the Wolf Gold brass I have reclaimed from ammo. I am much happier with LC for "pretty dang good ammo."

If you don't have an overabundance of same headstamp 223 brass, you're not shooting enough carbine.

I try not to use crimped cases as I don't have a de-crimper. That aside, I am currently running cases made by Hornady, PMC and Black Hills (or whatever they use). They have only been shot in my .223 (a Rem 700 SPS TAC dressed up a bit) so they all fit (and I FL resize them).

Dropping the rifle into a KRG Bravo stock made a much larger difference in groups than shooting different head stamps. It's a 0.5 MOA gun.

Lake City.

Just pick a year, and buy 1,000.

-Nate

You can buy starline for dirt cheap also. I bought 1k for mine a while back and it's done good. After fighting stuff that had had the primers crimped for quite a few years I threw out about 5k pieces. NEVER AGAIN! Trying to prime them on a dillon was a pain

You can buy starline for dirt cheap also. I bought 1k for mine a while back and it's done good. After fighting stuff that had had the primers crimped for quite a few years I threw out about 5k pieces. NEVER AGAIN! Trying to prime them on a dillon was a pain
    There’s truth in this.