• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 version of the RPR

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
http://www.ruger.com/products/precis...ets/18019.html

seems like the perfect trainer if you already use the RPR. Thoughts? And it shoots 5.56 as well.
  • MODEL NUMBER: 18019
  • CALIBER: 5.56 NATO / 223 REM
  • StockFolding, Adjustable Length of Pull and Comb Height
  • Barrel Length20"
  • BarrelCold Hammer-Forged, 5R Rifling
  • HandguardRuger Precision Rifle™ Short-Action
  • Twist1:7" RH
  • Grooves5
  • Weight9.8 lb.
  • Capacity10
  • Height7.30"
  • Overall Length39.25"-42.75"
  • Length of Pull12" - 15.50"
  • Folded Length31.60"
  • Width3.30"
  • Suggested Retail$1599.00
  • 5.56 NATO "Target" chamber safely accommodates 5.56 NATO cartridges while providing maximum projectile control and accuracy for both 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem cartridges.
  • Medium-contour barrel features a Ruger Precision Rifle® Hybrid Muzzle Brake to effectively reduce recoil while minimizing noise and blast to the sides of the shooter (thread protector included).
  • Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 5R Rifling at minimum bore and groove dimensions, minimum headspace and centralized chamber.
  • 20 MOA Picatinny rail secured with four, #8-40 screws for increased long-range elevation capabilities.
  • "Upper" receiver and one-piece bolt are precision CNC-machined from pre-hardened 4140 chrome-moly steel to minimize distortion.
  • Three-lug bolt with 70° throw features dual cocking cams and a smooth-running, full diameter bolt body.
  • In-line recoil path manages recoil directly from the rear of the receiver to the buttstock, not through a traditional bedding system, providing maximum accuracy potential.
  • Ruger® Precision MSR stock with QD sling attachment points features a bottom Picatinny rail and soft rubber buttpad. The left-folding stock hinge is attached to an AR-style buffer tube and accepts any AR-style stock. Length of pull and comb height are adjustable.
  • Equipped with a Ruger Precision Rifle® Short-Action Handguard for improved scope clearance for long-range scopes.
  • Magazine well front is contoured for a positive grip for bracing against shooting supports.
  • Oversized bolt handle for positive bolt manipulation, with 5/16"-24 thread for easy replacement. Bolt disassembly tool is stored in the bolt shroud for easy striker channel cleaning. Also features a Ruger Precision Rifle™ Billet Aluminum Bolt Shroud.
  • "Lower" magazine well halves are precision machined from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum and are Type III hard coat anodized for maximum durability.
  • Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger is externally adjustable with a pull weight range of 2.25 to 5.0 lbs.; wrench is stored in the bolt shroud.
  • Extended trigger-reach AR-style grip and 45° reversible safety selector. May be configured with any AR-style grip and selector.
  • Barrels can be easily replaced by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges.
  • Also includes: Two, 10-round, Ruger AI-Style Precision Rifle magazines compatible with longer, higher ballistic coefficient projectiles.

Well this is cool.

On another note, has anyone used their AI style 223 mags? Most of the 223 mags have been very hit or miss. If Ruger is producing a version that performs well then the magazines may be bigger news for the community than the rifle.

Try the Mossberg MVP 16"-24" barrel. Pick your flavor(length) and shoot. Oh ya, It takes ar-15 mags! It not as glamorous as the RPR, but it shoots good even with factory ammo!!! Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

Reactions: Joeydias3
Try the Mossberg MVP 16"-24" barrel. Pick your flavor(length) and shoot. Oh ya, It takes ar-15 mags! It not as glamorous as the RPR, but it shoots good even with factory ammo!!! Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

AR mags are not a plus. Leaves you considerably constrained on bullet selection/OAL.

Entirely apples to oranges. The RPR is a completely different animal all around and although it is "entry" level, it's on a different level of quality above the Mossberg. Not to mention everything is end user upgradeable very easily. The MVP, not so much, aftermarket is very scarce or non existent, and if the barrel doesn't shoot the rifle is pretty much disposable as it's honestly not worth putting a aftermarket barrel on.

AR15 mags also aren't the best option for taking advantage of high BC bullets, so I certainly wouldn't chalk that up as an advantage.

I agree that the mags might be the biggest news here! While accurate mag work great another option would sure be nice. A ten rounder that's not as long as a 308 ten rounder would be sweet

Maybe Remington will now roll out a 1:7 Wylde chambered AAC-SD.

...but probably not.

oooooof course. Where was this three months ago? I started a Tikka switch-barrel build (.204 Ruger, .223) because this wasn't available. I'm certain that I'll be happy with my build when it's all said and done, but it would have been nice to have the option. Dammit.

</pouting>

Hmmm...been kicking around a .223 based trainer (to turn into a .20 Tactical). This may just fit the bill perfectly...

Burnout, even with the option of the rpr now, that tikka will be smoother. And you can have a stock or a chassis. Im a tikka fan though.

Burnout, even with the option of the rpr now, that tikka will be smoother. And you can have a stock or a chassis. Im a tikka fan though.

That's what I'm telling myself... ;-)

Seriously, though, I am glad to see Ruger come out with this... it's a great option for folks for a variety of reasons.

Maybe Remington will now roll out a 1:7 Wylde chambered AAC-SD.

...but probably not.

HA! Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

That's what I'm telling myself... ;-)

For a switch barrel setup your Tikka with barrels machined to the action will work much better anyhow. Ever tried getting the headspace set 100% the same every time on a barrel nut style setup? Yeah good luck. I never could and when you're dealing with a very narrow window due to how you bump your shoulders this can be a problem.

Reactions: blister
Yes, Geno C. and Triple D is correct, they are more like 2.50” COAL. The MDT is closer to what you want, a lot cheaper and no mod needed.

As for the rifle, it looks decent, the only thing I would miss is a longer barrel – at least 24”. The other thing is at that price, you can probably get close with a Tikka T3x Varmint coupled with a MPA chassis like I just put together in the other thread, and from my personal experience with the Tikka barrel, I would chose that and the MPA chassis over a Ruger’s.

The only thing that I even remotely find interesting after owning a 6.5 RPR(and selling) is the 1 in 7 twist. But if you like to overpay for a .223, be my guest. I'll just be the guy shooting my Mossberg MVP 24" at 500 yards and in, with factory ammo that shoots into one hole at 100 yards. Anything further I'm going to switch to a 308, 6.5 or 260. How many of you guys are shooting to a 1000 and then battling wind to come out with a positive results? Anyone??? Buhler? Buhler? Buhler??I'm sure someone around here does it for the challenge? Come on this is the SnipersHide. I know its possible, but why? All I have to say is "the right tool, for the right job." It it was around when I was getting into long range, I for sure would have bought it over the MVP. On looks alone, I would have based my decision! Would I have ponied up the money? I mean found? For a .223?

I know no one likes the MDT mags, but I think their 308 mags have shed a bad light on their .223 mags. My buddy has their 308 mags, and they bulge when fully loaded. Visibly. I have one MDT .223 mag and one Accurate Mag. The MDT mag works perfect every time. I've had a round hang up once or twice from the AM. YMMV

Interesting to hear of the MDT .308 mag problems. I have three of their .223 mags and all three feed reliable. They feel very robust to me and I cannot imagine these bulging out.

Interesting to hear of the MDT .308 mag problems. I have three of their .223 mags and all three feed reliable. They feel very robust to me and I cannot imagine these bulging out.

I use the Magpul .308 AICS mags in my MDT Tac 21 with no issues.

The only thing that I even remotely find interesting after owning a 6.5 RPR(and selling) is the 1 in 7 twist. But if you like to overpay for a .223, be my guest. I'll just be the guy shooting my Mossberg MVP 24" at 500 yards and in, with factory ammo that shoots into one hole at 100 yards. Anything further I'm going to switch to a 308, 6.5 or 260.

I know its possible, but why? All I have to say is "the right tool, for the right job."

There is far more upside to the RPR than the MVP. Even at 500yds, being able to shoot the high BC bullets will increase your chance of solid impacts when the winds pick up/switch. It's a better tool (in theory based on potential) than the MVP.

Part of it is the challenge, part of it is the cost portion of it. I can shoot a lot more reloaded 223 rounds than I can a 6 or 6.5 for the same price. I also don't wear out the barrels or depleat my H4350 supply!

I'll be getting one for my daughter to learn to shoot LR and I'll use it for practice. Should be sweet with a 22" 223AI bartlein and some 80gr ELD-m's.

There is far more upside to the RPR than the MVP. Even at 500yds, being able to shoot the high BC bullets will increase your chance of solid impacts when the winds pick up/switch. It's a better tool (in theory based on potential) than the MVP.

Part of it is the challenge, part of it is the cost portion of it. I can shoot a lot more reloaded 223 rounds than I can a 6 or 6.5 for the same price. I also don't wear out the barrels or depleat my H4350 supply!

I'll be getting one for my daughter to learn to shoot LR and I'll use it for practice. Should be sweet with a 22" 223AI bartlein and some 80gr ELD-m's.

Your right, when your buying the rifle for your daughter? Of course it's not for you? I'd go 223 AI all day long over say 5.56/.223 vs the 6/6.5 for barrel wear. If you think you need High BC bullets for short range be my guest! I'm on the other hand, alway have the bigger picture in mind and what I'm paying for in those bullets. Long range performance! With your daughter in mind, again, maybe you should buy it, Lapua brass, Highest BC bulllet, GMM primers, powder of the week and report your complete in depth results so we can all learn from you and your generous findings. Can you make that happen,soon? I'd go out and buy the Savage stainless thumbhole stock 24" Heavy fluted barrel 1 in 7 twist and be ahead of the Ruger in the long run. Since you don't like my MVP? It's for my son in a wheel chair by the way!

Jeez what's the problem? So he has a different opinion than you.

No problem here, move along, nothing to see here. Just a need for one-up's manship here. That last bit was total bullshit. I don't have a son!!! No real axe to grind, just facts. Everyone around her says I'm making a Investment or to help someone out for an excuse to buy a rifle. I owned a Ruger RPR, I know how good they are bottom line. No attack intended! Just a bullshiter calling a Bullshiter out. We're all here to argue about a difference of opinion or it would get boring where I agree with you and tell you how right your are and the facts backing you up. That would be weird? Argue on, don't let me get in the way.

The butt hurt is strong with this one.

While it's a great cartridge for her to learn with, I imagine that I'll shoot it 90% of the time. Who said I was going to shoot it at short ranges? I was just stating that even at 500yds a higher BC bullet would be advantageous. I shoot my 16" AR with 75gr bullets to 700yds. I imagine the benefit of running higher BC bullets won't hurt for shooting the same distance or farther with a bolt gun.

Does the savage have a 10rd DBM? Will it bind or have feeding issues when the magazine isn't inserted properly? How about when it is inserted properly? I've seen and witnessed too many issues with savages and magazines and the resulting frustration to think that would be the best for our purposes. Is the length of pull short enough for an 8yr old girl? Can the stock be easily adjusted to fit her?

I hope to have one soon. The problem is, there are too many fools like me that will try and purchase this rifle instead of firearm gurus like yourself who know that the MVP is the crème de la crème of precision 223/5.56 bolt guns. The supply will be limited compared to the demand for the RPR vs being able to go to just about any store and finding a Mossberg MVP.

You'd shit a brick if you saw the 223AI varmint rig that I saw a few weeks back. Deviant action, AI chassis topped of with a NF beast. If only that guy knew about the the MVP beforehand....

Please explain to us how this chamber option qualifies how much a rifle should cost instead of what feature set the rifle has... I'm sure I'm not the only person who would like to hear this logic.

I'm talking about the rifle, not the round! The Mossberg MVP is a value option. The Ruger RPR in .223 is a value option as well, in the world of overbuild custom rifles that we live in here at the Snipershide. Results can be achieved with less money spent, period. If you would like to throw money a problem, be my guest. Its your pocket book( I mean purse!). Flame on! I can take it I'm a big boy (I mean little boy!) Let the crying, whining, sniveling commence. Thats why we are here, to see grown men bicker. Rifles aren't better than one another, results are. Where is your Ruger .223/.556 and the results that it shoots the lights out. I owned a 6.5 RPR and it was a shooter (multiple bullets(140 berger hybrids) in one hole). I'm not a brand fan boy. Are YOU? I only subscribe to results.

Last edited:
The butt hurt is strong with this one.

While it's a great cartridge for her to learn with, I imagine that I'll shoot it 90% of the time. Who said I was going to shoot it at short ranges? I was just stating that even at 500yds a higher BC bullet would be advantageous. I shoot my 16" AR with 75gr bullets to 700yds. I imagine the benefit of running higher BC bullets won't hurt for shooting the same distance or farther with a bolt gun.

Does the savage have a 10rd DBM? Will it bind or have feeding issues when the magazine isn't inserted properly? How about when it is inserted properly? I've seen and witnessed too many issues with savages and magazines and the resulting frustration to think that would be the best for our purposes. Is the length of pull short enough for an 8yr old girl? Can the stock be easily adjusted to fit her?

I hope to have one soon. The problem is, there are too many fools like me that will try and purchase this rifle instead of firearm gurus like yourself who know that the MVP is the crème de la crème of precision 223/5.56 bolt guns. The supply will be limited compared to the demand for the RPR vs being able to go to just about any store and finding a Mossberg MVP.

You'd shit a brick if you saw the 223AI varmint rig that I saw a few weeks back. Deviant action, AI chassis topped of with a NF beast. If only that guy knew about the the MVP beforehand....

Creme de la creme is custom built, one component selected at a time, assembled by a gun smith. Not a MVP or a Ruger RPR. I'm not saying you have to own one rifle, the world is your oyster!

I'm talking about the rifle, not the round! The Mossberg MVP is a value option. The Ruger RPR in .223 is a value option as well, in the world of overbuild custom rifles that we live in here at the Snipershide. Results can be achieved with less money spent, period. If you would like to throw money a problem, be my guest. Its your pocket book( I mean purse!). Flame on! I can take it I'm a big boy (I mean little boy!) Let the crying, whining, sniveling commence. Thats why we are here to hear, to see grown men bicker. Rifles aren't better than one another, results are. Where is your Ruger .223/.556 and the results that it shoots the lights out. I owned a 6.5 RPR and it was a shooter (multiple bullets(140 berger hybrids) in one hole). I'm not a brand fan boy. Are YOU? I only subscribe to results.

I had typed up a very long reply completely disqualifying this entire post with logic, reason, and experience but I decided to delete it because you're going to be right regardless. It seems that you're just looking for an argument, not an intelligent debate, or to learn anything... or you're a troll... Regardless congrats on becoming the first addition to my ignore list since the site change.

If you don't see the point, don't buy it.

If you don't see the value, don't buy it.

If you don't reload and won't take advantage of >77gr bullets at long OALs, don't buy it.

A properly throated 20" 223 should be able to get 2800fps with 80s without pushing pressure too much, giving 1000yd drop and drift better than the typical 20" factory barreled 308 with the 168gr ELDM, 175gr SMK or even 185gr Jugg. And while energy on target is definitely an issue at extended ranges with a mousegun, the lack of recoil and cost per pew are factors that many people look at.

If your Savage or your MVP or even your Handi works for you, then more power to ya! But this ain't that thread...

I'm going to reverse course on this one gentlemen. I'm going to tell everyone I know to go out and buy a Ruger RPR in .223/.556. It's nice to know I can ruffle a few feathers around here. I think its a badge of honor that someone says they are going to Ignore me. It's going to be a nice rifle! I'm not kidding around. Sorry to pee in your cheerios.

.223 with 80 grain ELD-M bullets at 2800 FPS. Run that through your ballistic calculator. It is more capable at 1000 yards than the combos most people are using in their .308. If you reload you can shoot the ELD's for less than 40 cents per round. Some people still think they need a .300 Win Mag to shoot a White Tail deer at 75 yards...

Your right, when your buying the rifle for your daughter? Of course it's not for you? I'd go 223 AI all day long over say 5.56/.223 vs the 6/6.5 for barrel wear. If you think you need High BC bullets for short range be my guest! I'm on the other hand, alway have the bigger picture in mind and what I'm paying for in those bullets. Long range performance! With your daughter in mind, again, maybe you should buy it, Lapua brass, Highest BC bulllet, GMM primers, powder of the week and report your complete in depth results so we can all learn from you and your generous findings. Can you make that happen,soon? I'd go out and buy the Savage stainless thumbhole stock 24" Heavy fluted barrel 1 in 7 twist and be ahead of the Ruger in the long run. Since you don't like my MVP? It's for my son in a wheel chair by the way!

All rifle and shooting topics aside, joking about having a son in a wheel chair is being a complete and inconsiderate dick.

Let's get back in topic about the new RPR....

I'm sure it will be a great shooting accurate rifle. I recently watched a new shooter who had recently bought a gen 2 6.5CM load up some factory 140 Eld ammo and shoot 0.5 moa ......most of these rifles just shoot great

CDNN is already selling them. I found it very easy to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor RPR well, both prone and across the course. Higher scores than I get with a service rifle. I stand by the recommendation for this gun in the states that don't allow AR's. I'll retract my price statement when it costs less than 1.4 times a competitive service rifle.
I hate chasing brass ...

Last edited:
I know no one likes the MDT mags, but I think their 308 mags have shed a bad light on their .223 mags. My buddy has their 308 mags, and they bulge when fully loaded. Visibly. I have one MDT .223 mag and one Accurate Mag. The MDT mag works perfect every time. I've had a round hang up once or twice from the AM. YMMV

I had both sizes, the .223 version works fine, had to fiddle with the .308 mags and would only load 6 into them as they would bulge.

I'm talking about the rifle, not the round! The Mossberg MVP is a value option. The Ruger RPR in .223 is a value option as well, in the world of overbuild custom rifles that we live in here at the Snipershide. Results can be achieved with less money spent, period. If you would like to throw money a problem, be my guest. Its your pocket book( I mean purse!). Flame on! I can take it I'm a big boy (I mean little boy!) Let the crying, whining, sniveling commence. Thats why we are here, to see grown men bicker. Rifles aren't better than one another, results are. Where is your Ruger .223/.556 and the results that it shoots the lights out. I owned a 6.5 RPR and it was a shooter (multiple bullets(140 berger hybrids) in one hole). I'm not a brand fan boy. Are YOU? I only subscribe to results.

I've got a savage I put together for my nephew to shoot, hangs with the 6.5 CM out to 600, 11 mils at Ik with 77 SMK's. I've got about 950 in it, LRP receiver, Mcree chassis, F class take off barrel that came with lapua brass as well, guess I spent too much since I could have bought a mossberg for less. :D This is from the day I zero'd the scope.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i254.photobucket.com\/albums\/hh96\/SandersImage\/223_Target.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Hey All, This is my first post here. I see that there are many likes an dis likes on the RPR 223. I have a RPR in 6.5 CM that I sure enjoy shooting out to 450 yds with Sierra 120 mk. This gun shots way better than I am able. Just called a local shop and they have in stock a RPR 223 for $1325 out the door. I feel that if it still there tomorrow it will have a new home. Can anyone change my mind.
Thanks for the help

If you have the tools, please let us know what the base to ogive is with any of the 80gr bullets.

If you don't see the point, don't buy it.

If you don't see the value, don't buy it.

If you don't reload and won't take advantage of >77gr bullets at long OALs, don't buy it.

A properly throated 20" 223 should be able to get 2800fps with 80s without pushing pressure too much, giving 1000yd drop and drift better than the typical 20" factory barreled 308 with the 168gr ELDM, 175gr SMK or even 185gr Jugg. And while energy on target is definitely an issue at extended ranges with a mousegun, the lack of recoil and cost per pew are factors that many people look at.

If your Savage or your MVP or even your Handi works for you, then more power to ya! But this ain't that thread...

Right on Boiler. Making clear sense with facts to express a much valid point. I've been eyeing these RPR's. Must resist must resist....oh hey Thanks for the hookup on those Hornady bullets years back! You probably don't even remember.....pew pew.

Hey All, This is my first post here. I see that there are many likes an dis likes on the RPR 223. I have a RPR in 6.5 CM that I sure enjoy shooting out to 450 yds with Sierra 120 mk. This gun shots way better than I am able. Just called a local shop and they have in stock a RPR 223 for $1325 out the door. I feel that if it still there tomorrow it will have a new home. Can anyone change my mind.
Thanks for the help

Have fun shooting it, all that matters is that you like it. :). I got similar crap from some on another forum for wanting a nice .223 for my nephew to shoot when I could just get a mossberg. :)

I'll be purchasing one. I've personally been waiting on a factory 223 with a 1/7 twist that accepts AICS patterned mags.

Well, I didn't get much help from all you guys. Took it on my own and got it anyways. Thought I had a set of high rings, but they were to low for a good site picture. Will pick up a set at Cabela's tomorrow. I feel that it will make a very good gun for out to 450 yds.

Just a little update. Got a set of Weaver Tac ex high rings and mounted a Nikon 6x18. Took 3 shots to zero at 50 yds with some ar reloads of 4064 and Nosler 55 gn. Moved out to 100 yds, 1st shot dead center of a 1/2" dot 2nd shot inside the dot and the 3rd shot was touching the outside of the dot. Next I will get some Sierra 77 gn HPBT tested out to 300yds. Saturday I hope. Some may say that the RPR in 223 is over priced, but I feel that I will get my money back with the enjoyment from the way this rifle is preforming out of the gate. Like I had said the 6.5 cm shoots way better than I can. I should hope that all will get the chance to try one out.
Have a good day

I played with one yesterday at me LGS. Price was $1125. If I didn't already have a 223 bolt gun, I would have jumped on it. It's what you would expect from Ruger with the RPR. Felt just like my Gen 1 in 6.5 but with the new Gen II toys.