• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 wssm Load Ideas?

Farmboy05

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2009
JBER, AK
I just picked up a H.S. Precision rifle with a 24" 1:10 twist barrel chambered in .223 wssm. I was wondering if anybody here had found anything that will shoot. The load that came on the test target was with varget and a v-max. I'm trying to come up with a load with a Sierra Match King. How heavy can I go with this twist rate? Other powder Suggestions? I'm going to try to load this a little slower and try to get a little more barrel like if at all possible. Thanks in advance!

John

Re: .223 wssm Load Ideas?

In my Winchester 223wssm stealth II I run 60gr. Noslers at 3530Fps with 42 grains of Win. 760. I've tested some 69smks with 36 grains of H322 and was getting 3570fps but it felt a Little hot so I backed it down to 34.5 and then it shot in the 3300fps range. The Noslers worked the best on prarie Dogs. The 69 smks shoot extreamly accurate but didn't expand nearly as much as the noslers and mostly just passed through the prarie Dogs only tipping them over. I'd say with a 1-10 twist 69 grains is as high as you wanna run for bullet weight. Shoot a 55-60 grain bullet and you'll laught everytime you hit a praire Dog

I've been shooting the 52 grain smk's in front of 42 grains of
Varget I don't know what it chronographs, but the Hodgdon websight has it around 3900 fps. I would like to try the 69's and see how they do, but have been having a hard time finding them locally.

43 grains of Varget... My bad. Has anybody tried H4350? I've got a .260 being built and thought maybe I could just buy in bulk and shoot it through both.