• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 WSSM What do you guys think???

rsracer65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
Denver, CO
Subject says it, I have no experience with it but for some reason I keep looking at it...

Thanks,

Adam

Re: .223 WSSM What do you guys think???

Everything looks good but like every part of our lives, nothing is free. My brother-in-law has one and he says he has smoked two barrels in three years. He shots quite a bit but it must be hard on barrels because he doesn't shoot that much in my opinion. There must be some appeal though because he keeps getting it rebarreled in the same caliber.

+1 with balthasar. ive had one for awhile and its a barrel burner of a round. im on my 2nd barrel this year already.

I think the key to barrel life with them is to baby them. Shoot/cool/shoot/cool. I have a 25wssm and it shoots well after 635 rounds. I have heard the 234wssm is the worst on barrels. There is a wssm web site that has quite a following and some good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the key to barrel life with them is to baby them. Shoot/cool/shoot/cool. I have a 25wssm and it shoots well after 635 rounds. I have heard the 234wssm is the worst on barrels. There is a wssm web site that has quite a following and some good info. </div></div>

www.wssmzone.com?

Not tons of activity, but some good information.

I've loaded this round for 2 different bolt guns, and both shot better than expected. Both were loaded with a 60 grain V-max and 4064 powder. Velocity was over 3700 fps. I wouldn't put a lot of rounds down range quickly with it. It's a hot rod caliber for sure. Let me know if you want my data on it. I don't have my notes with me.

One note though- I didn't like the brass with this round. The necks were very thick. It looks like they took the parent case and sized it down to 223 without planning for the increased neck thickness. Seating the bullet was very tight.

No direct experience but have had it come up in conversation with my gunsmith, Yes it appears to be a barrel burner.

Yet, Why would you buy something like this and not run it? Kinda like the Ol'.220 swift. Unless it has sentimental value, why down load it to a .22-250.

If you're gonna get a race car, keep it outta the school zones and run the Mother F***er. Just remember that which runs twice as fast runns half as long.

i had a win model 70 in 223 wssm. i got rid of it purely because ammo was expensive as hell, it got hot and sent rampent shots after 5 or so shots, and it really doesnt have much better performance as far as im concerned. ive killed groundhogs with my 223 wssm and my regular 223 and have pretty much the same results.

adam,

pm donovan here on the hide, he had one and had some issues.

I was looking into a 6.5 WSSM or 6.5/25 WSSM, but the brass issues (new brass with cracked necks) and short barrel life had me questioning my motives. I'll probably go 260 or 6.5 Creedmore instead.

I was doing some research into the WSSM cartridges,243 neck up to 6.5,but after looking at average barrel life for the WSSM i decided to pass on the idea.at max.case cap of 58.5 of water ,compared to remingtons 260 catridge wich holds 54.8 water.i din't see any real gains from 4 grains.you are better off doing a 22-250 AI.also cases are cheaper and you can get the 22-250 Norma cases wich are far superior to the win.cases.

i had custom 700 built and the brass sucks its a hot rod for sure, but the brass sucked and buddy wanted so he got it. if you want that FPS in small bore go 22-250 AI . much better option .

I would take some of the aformentioned advice with a grain of salt. I can't speak directly for the .223WSSM but I did have a .243WSSM in a 24inch AR15 set up.It was the most accurate rifle I owned. Technically the smaller the bore the more pressure for a given cartridge size, so yes the .223WSSM will burn up the barrel,.243WSSM not so much if at all. Super light bullets can be hard on the .243 so I shyed away from those lite 55's and went 75 or higher. Bolt guns have been notoriously poor at feeding these short stubby rounds. In a modified ar15 mag they work quite well. I would not hesitate for a moment to build another WSSM on an ar15 due to my experience. probably a 6.5 wildcat but the ballistics on the .300 OlympicSSM which is outperforming the 30-06 looks awfully attractive. As for your .223WSSM, if you got the money for barrels, it sure would be fun.

Adam,

Initially I shied away from the .223 and .243 because I thought the ratio of bullet dia. vs. case dia. was too small. I was really excited when the .25 WSSM came out. I owned two and now only own my Stealth II. I typically shoot Berger 115's or Wildcat 115's bullets in it.

Anyhow, getting back to the .223 WSSM. The cases are like the rest in that they are thick. 210-213 gr. Which is more than a 30-06 case weighs. It does seem like they left too much material in the necks. However, that can be remedied by neck-turning. You will have to anneal the cases soon. I let some go five or six loadings and they started to crack.

The biggest reason I started to reconsider a .223 WSSM was that standard barrels came with 1-9" twists. Which at their velocities will stabilize 80 gr. bullets. Unlike, the 1-9" twist .223 Rem or the usual twist of the .22-250 of 1-12" or 1-14".

It will burn barrels a little faster than the .22-250 and about the same as a swift. The former has less case capacity and the latter has about the same. Both of which are known for being barrel burners. That said, on our last shoot up in Princeton, Greg was putting a 1-8" twist .22-250 barrel on for one of the guys (can't remember names, too many in too short of time), so that he could push 90 gr. bullets. Personally, that would be my choice. But, you would have to find an action chambered for
the .22-250 so you wouldn't have jamming problems because of the case taper. Or you could have the rails adjusted. The former works the best unless the person doing the rails has a jig for it.

Anyhow, that's what I'd do.

I was just wondering about this topic myself. I stopped by the Olympic factory today and the gentleman behind the counter showed off some of the WSSM calibers they chamber their barrels for. The 300 Olympic really looks wild. I'm going to do some more research on it, but the idea is a good one I think.

Make sure you leave enough to set it back atleast once. You will begin to see throat errosion after 200 or so rounds if you are really loading the hell out of them. Better budget for an extra bbl while your at it. Then there is the brass issue.............

Thanks for all the info guys, I knew I could count on the Hide to come through for me...
wink.gif

Now what about the 22-250AI? I see a few people raving it and have had a few more people tell me to do that over the WSSM...

Thoughts?

Adam

As noted above, good idea. Just get the tighter twist so you can push a heavy bullet out.