• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223AI Fireforming - Factory ammo or reloads

uscbigdawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So...finally getting around to working up a load for the 223AI. Figure 500 pieces (or more) should be good.

Looking for opinions.

Option 1: Buy a bunch of XM193 223, and just shoot it in 100-200yd position practice, to harvest the brass.

Option 2: Buy a bunch of good ammo (Norma Match, e.g.) with 77gr. and use for local matches/position practice, to harvest brass.

Option 3: Buy a bunch of processed LC brass and load some 55's with a 23-24gr.-ish charge of Varget and use for position practice.
* I've got a ton of 223 bullets lying around and can load it all on a XL650.

Opinions are appreciated. Option 3, financially makes the most sense, but can spend the coin on ammo as well.

Can you get the lot of processed LC brass all of a similar headstamp? If so go route 3.

If not then I would do a hybrid. I like the norma tac 223 (55gr FMJ) when it can be had for 6-7 bucks per 20 (35 cents/rd, same cost per as the xm193). You already have the stuff to load your own but if the brass isnt all the same I wouldnt want it myself and would be more happy with the norma brass even though it has crimped primers which the processed would hopefully have processed out.

What about a hydraulic forming die and then just load from there?

Can you get the lot of processed LC brass all of a similar headstamp? If so go route 3.

If not then I would do a hybrid. I like the norma tac 223 (55gr FMJ) when it can be had for 6-7 bucks per 20 (35 cents/rd, same cost per as the xm193). You already have the stuff to load your own but if the brass isnt all the same I wouldnt want it myself and would be more happy with the norma brass even though it has crimped primers which the processed would hopefully have processed out.

I've thought about that as well, and didn't know Norma Tac was crimped. Yeah...that's pretty annoying.

The LC brass would be bought from one of our Hide members, airborne6.8 who sells full processed LC brass. Likely not the same headstamp (years of LC).

I was thinking more in terms of labor and component expenditure. But some guys shoot lights out with foreforming loads

Reactions: uscbigdawg
I just loaded up 400 rounds in Lapua brass with 23 grains of varget and shot them. I don't mind fireforming, they were accurate at 500 yards so I just took them to the range and got some practice in. I would go with the processed brass and load some up.

Option 3 is what I’ve done on my last 3 223AI’s. Hornaday 55 soft points with a full case of Varget. Hodgdon says 27.5gr is max. Depending on the brass lot 26.5-27gr is more realistic. I shoot prarie dogs to fireform. Once fire formed I switch to 75s for doggen in the 4-700yd Range.

Not worried about burning out a barrel. A 223AI is good for about 8-9k rounds and ask lowlight says, "Barrels are tires".
8k accurate rounds out of a 223ai? Not my kind of accuracy expectations. But barrels are like tires.

Why 500 pieces? Is it a gun you're going to load up a bunch and ground hog shoot with? If not I would start with 100-200 pieces and go from there. A guy can wear out a barrel pretty easy with 200 pieces as long as you're not hammering on them.

There has been a few sales on loaded Lapua 223 lately and that might not be a bad way to get formed brass

Thays what I was going to mention. I saw a Lapua sale that was basically %50 off due to the cost of brass. I can’t remember what the sale was like $12 a box or something like that.

I would like to see it again though.

Why 500 pieces? Is it a gun you're going to load up a bunch and ground hog shoot with? If not I would start with 100-200 pieces and go from there. A guy can wear out a barrel pretty easy with 200 pieces as long as you're not hammering on them.

There has been a few sales on loaded Lapua 223 lately and that might not be a bad way to get formed brass

I hate reloading, so if I’m going to do it, let’s do a batch where it’s not repeated often.

If you hate reloading, you might have been better off with a straight 223. Only thing I ever reload in batches bigger than 200 are blasting and prairie dog ammo