• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 predator

jcwarrior87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Selah, Wa
So I am wondering if any one has one of these. The maker says you can push 80gr at 3100. I am intrested. I have a spare ar15 that I can toss the barrel on. I already have a 6xc and 6.5 creed on a ar10 so not very intrested in the 6mm and 6.5 grendel stuff. I am thinking this would make a great long range coyote rifle. Run the heavies when I want to shoot far and run lights when I want to save the fur. I thought about the new 22 nosler but I don't think it will do well with the heavies. So any one have some real world results they can speak on?

Yeah, I'd like to see more end user reports also. There's plenty of 6mm Grendel variant data out there now but .22 Grendel info is a bit scarce.

I have one I've been working on. I don't think 3100 fps is possible with temp stable extruded powders. I've been mainly playing with Varget and 8208xbr. I think I've finally settled on a load with Varget. I think the barrels are a good value and this is my second barrel from them. They seem to be pretty accurate and for the most part I'm happy with it.

I had some issues in the beginning with ejecting brass. The extractor would bite on the case rim and hold the case. A couple of swipes of a file fixed it... And I haven't had any issues since.

The picture is a five shot group with 27.1 grains of varget and a 80 grain Sierra MatchKing. I'm not sure how accurate Quickload is but this is a 58,000psi load per the program. I feel that's the most I would push the Grendel case. Speed is 2856 with an SD of 10 measured on a magneto [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]​ speed.

That is a little disappointing. I can load 223 to almost that in my bolt gun. (I know I gave more case cap that way,) but I am really looking for that 3000 plus in a gaser

I feel the same way. Kind of a wasted build. The only benefit is being able to magazine feed an 80 grain bullet in a semi auto.

So I have a 224 AR Turbo which is the early version of what is now the 224 AR. Using AR Comp and CFE and 82 Bergers you can break the 3k mark not by much. My go to load is AR Comp and the 82 Berger with Norma brass I'm getting 3013. I went head first hearing 3100 FPS an a little disappointed I'm nowhere near there.

If you're looking for hyper-velocity in a small frame AR, take a look at the wssm uppers. I have a 25 wssm I had built specifically for hog hunting and I can tell you the terminal effects of a 90 gr bullet at 3500+ fps are shocking. Drops hogs (or anything else, for that matter) like nothing else. Reasonably accurate too; sub moa.

I have no love for for the wssm. My understanding is that brass is pain to get also.

​​​​
​​

The wssm has some pluses and minuses. Brass can be scarce, although I personally never had trouble finding it. The brass is very tough making it a pain to work with from a reloading point of view, but it holds up well. You could easily burn out a barrel with the same 100 pieces of brass. I do like its versatility. It will work well on varmints, predators and medium size game. It's an interesting round that gives 25-06 performance from a small frame AR, but it's definitely not for everybody.

So, I have one I got from AR15 Performance. I'm still working through powders to find the right stuff, but H4895 will get an 80 to 3050 or so in mine. I think a dense, small grain powder in the RL15/Varget burn rate should be the ticket. I'm thinking RL16 might have a lot of promise for a high energy powder at the proper burn rate.

It is very accurate. If I stay away from 3100, it will print half MOA groups pretty regularly.

I thought I was building it for the PRS Gas gun series, but at a dollar a case and a hell of a lot of rounds fired and lost, I'm thinking the 22 nosler might be a more economical solution than the Grendel. I still think a small frame AR is the ticket there, but the systems still need more time to develop.

I have one I've been working on. I don't think 3100 fps is possible with temp stable extruded powders. I've been mainly playing with Varget and 8208xbr. I think I've finally settled on a load with Varget. I think the barrels are a good value and this is my second barrel from them. They seem to be pretty accurate and for the most part I'm happy with it.

I had some issues in the beginning with ejecting brass. The extractor would bite on the case rim and hold the case. A couple of swipes of a file fixed it... And I haven't had any issues since.

The picture is a five shot group with 27.1 grains of varget and a 80 grain Sierra MatchKing. I'm not sure how accurate Quickload is but this is a 58,000psi load per the program. I feel that's the most I would push the Grendel case. Speed is 2856 with an SD of 10 measured on a magneto [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]​ speed.

Sounds like you used the wrong powder. Several have posted on other blogs that they are getting 3050-3100 with the 80gr Amax using 2520, CFE and Lever.

That is a little disappointing. I can load 223 to almost that in my bolt gun. (I know I gave more case cap that way,) but I am really looking for that 3000 plus in a gaser

I would find someone who has a little more experience with the cartridge.
28.5gr 8208 62gr Fusion 2.085 OAL-3195fps ave 5/8" groups
29.7gr 8208 55gr Nos BT 2.137 OAL-3366fps 1/2 & 5/8" groups
30gr CFE-80gr Berger 2.245 OAL -2990fps

So I have a 224 AR Turbo which is the early version of what is now the 224 AR. Using AR Comp and CFE and 82 Bergers you can break the 3k mark not by much. My go to load is AR Comp and the 82 Berger with Norma brass I'm getting 3013. I went head first hearing 3100 FPS an a little disappointed I'm nowhere near there.

What barrel length?

Well I ended up buying one of these I run 75 elds at 3050 with 29 gr of cfe, if it is over 85 out I start seeing pressure how you guys are loading 30gr with heavier bullets has got me. I even had the throat pushed out 130 thou so I could set my bullet out farther.... buy it does push 50 gr varmint grenades at 3700fps.... the dogs will love that...

I have a 22 Nosler and am not seeing the velocity that they advertise as well. Mine is in an 18" barrel, so I'm sure that has a negative effect, also as an aside, you won't load 80 grain 22 caliber bullets in the 22 Nosler, the case is too long, so they won't fit in an AR magazine.

Wayne

Are guys using Lapua brass or Hornady? I was wondering if the necks had to be turned if you used Hornady brass.

I have been shooting the .22 nosler. It is getting 2900 out of factory 77 cc's. With poor accuracy.