• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 V and 77SMK

Djstorm100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
I'm really considering a 224 for shooting gas gun series and local matches. Most we go out to 900. I'm comparing the ballistics now with 224v 77smk and 90smk. Out of a 20-22" 2+ barrel what are you guys actually seeing for velocity and whats your load?

Using the SMK doesn’t make sense, the BC is atrocious. Velocities are roughly 3000fps with 75s from a 24, subtract roughly 100 from 20” and 100 more for 16”. Look at the 75 ELD-M.

Reactions: Tinker054559
22" +2, Bartlein blank gets 2715 with a factory 90 SMK. I'm about to spin one up at 26" +3 on a Krieger for a member here just to see what he can get out of it.

Reactions: Djstorm100
22" +2, Bartlein blank gets 2715 with a factory 90 SMK. I'm about to spin one up at 26" +3 on a Krieger for a member here just to see what he can get out of it.
It's Dustin, Let me know what happens.

Using the SMK doesn’t make sense, the BC is atrocious. Velocities are roughly 3000fps with 75s from a 24, subtract roughly 100 from 20” and 100 more for 16”. Look at the 75 ELD-M.

Never had good luck with hornady. Bergers VLD, Hybirds, SMK all have been predicable even through lot changes.

I will have my rock creek barrel tomorrow.Im planning on trying 90smks and 77tmks.I just have to find some rl 17.

It's Dustin, Let me know what happens.

Never had good luck with hornady. Bergers VLD, Hybirds, SMK all have been predicable even through lot changes.
Try the 80 SMK then. Significantly higher BC than the 77 and takes advantage of the Valkyrie's shorter case length.

80.5 and 82bergers as well.

Reactions: Djstorm100
We ran a local PRS match yesterday. 2nd place shooter ran a JP rifle in Valkyrie. His load was 80gr ELD-M over Varget @ 2950. He crushed the 980 / 960y stage going 6 for 9. I shot the rifle after the match. Really impressed. He said he tried the SMK and they didn’t shoot as well. He is waiting for the new Hornady 88gr thst is coming out. 1:7 twist on the JP.

Reactions: Olen_4504
Why would you buy a Valkyrie to shoot a bullet you can run in a 556 at mag length at roughly the same advantage.

If you’re serious about getting hits at long range run a high BC 80gr option at minimum or the 75gr ELD.

Why would you buy a Valkyrie to shoot a bullet you can run in a 556 at mag length at roughly the same advantage.

If you’re serious about getting hits at long range run a high BC 80gr option at minimum or the 75gr ELD.

Because you can......lol. Options are cool. He is running a 80 gr H/ELD-M and will be going to the 88gr Hornady when released next month. You can’t run these bullet weights in a .223 at the velocity you can in the Valk. I don’t own one, but was just passing on what I saw.

I got a NIB JP SCR-11 i been thinking of re barreling to 224V so will be following this thread.

What class is the 244V legal to shoot in PRS?