• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 Valkyrie AR15

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
Would like responses from shooters who are or have ran one. Is it really all that like Lowlight hypes it up to be? Thinking about running one in PRS type matches (MOST , Missouri Steal Tactical). I have ran a 6.5 Grendel in them before. Also does it compare to the Gredel?

I have a decent amount of time behind the 6.5g. I have shot it out to 1,193 yards, but that was basically lobbing it out there at that point. The problem with 6.5g is the slower velocity. The TOF out to 1,193 was forever.

I like the Valkyrie because it’s a lot faster and the BC is much better. I am still new to the Valkyrie because I haven’t had much time to shoot it, but I think it takes the cake over 6.5g.

Reactions: Constructor
I have zero experience with 22 nosler. I almost jumped on it when it came out, but I am glad I didn’t. Valkyrie gave me the same concerns with limited factory ammo options, but it appears it’s coming back around now with federals new loads.

Reactions: Raffica762
I love mine, 24" CMMG barrel and an ARP superbolt setup on a Colt M16 carrier. Not a high end set-up by any means, but its reliable.

It's the most accurate gas gun I own. I havent even started reloading for it yet. Ot shoots factory Hornady 88ELD loads so well that I dont really have a need to yet. I built it for coyote hunting. I've yet to take a yote with it yet, but I have confidence that it will do the job.

It's a pretty easy shooting cartridge too. I was on the fence between the 224V and 6mmAR. I'm glad I went 224V because I can get factory ammo locally for it that shoots great, no complication. Its definitely worth a look IMO.

Reactions: Constructor
I love mine, 24" CMMG barrel and an ARP superbolt setup on a Colt M16 carrier. Not a high end set-up by any means, but its reliable.

It's the most accurate gas gun I own. I havent even started reloading for it yet. Ot shoots factory Hornady 88ELD loads so well that I dont really have a need to yet. I built it for coyote hunting. I've yet to take a yote with it yet, but I have confidence that it will do the job.

It's a pretty easy shooting cartridge too. I was on the fence between the 224V and 6mmAR. I'm glad I went 224V because I can get factory ammo locally for it that shoots great, no complication. Its definitely worth a look IMO.

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 1:7 twist? Does the 88 ELD shoot the best or are you having better luck with the factory 75TMJ and 60NBT? My experience with a 20" 1:7 PSA upper was not fun. I sent it back after barrel break in due to 3 MOA for the 90's. I was hoping for at least 1 moa groups at 100 yards after reading their "cherry picked" reviews. If I do my part ALL of my bolt and AR platforms shot .25-.5 MOA at 100 yards. PSA inspected the upper or so they said, fired a 3 round test group at a 25 yard indoor range from a ransom style rest. The 9/16" group was from Federal 75 TMJ factory ammo. PSA said it was under their "3 MOA Accuracy Guarantee". No longer a PSA customer to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldog10
I don’t own one but have some trigger time on a build a friend did. Runs great, super soft shooting, and ballistically it beats the 6.5Grendel easily for drop and wind with those high BC .224 bullets available. I’m addicted to my grendel and 107tmks but the 224val outruns it. If you run a comparison on factory ammo for the 6.5Grendel and 224Val the valkyrie beats it and just walks away. Handloading lets the grendel shine, but it still comes up short to the valkyrie when you stretch it out. Compare it this way... the 6.5Grendel with factory 123gr ELDM ammo is similar to a .308 out to distance..... the .224Val is similar to a 6.5creed out to distance. Personally speaking, if I need to get further than what my 6.5grendel can easily do, I get the 6.5creed out of the safe. That being said, I run my grendel in one day matches whenever I can cause it’s a blast.

I’ve heard they “can” be picky with powder and bullet choices based on twist and barrel length, but my friends setup is running well with a handful of powders and the 88gr ELDM but he’s trying to fine tune it and get a solid load workup done and winter isn’t cooperating. My 2 cents is get a good barrel from a good manufacturer and run with it if you want to try one out. Putting together an upper is cheap enough and if you decide you don’t like it or it isn’t for you I bet you could sell the barrel pretty quick and do another caliber.

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 1:7 twist? Does the 88 ELD shoot the best or are you having better luck with the factory 75TMJ and 60NBT? My experience with a 20" 1:7 PSA upper was not fun. I sent it back after barrel break in due to 3 MOA for the 90's. I was hoping for at least 1 moa groups at 100 yards after reading their "cherry picked" reviews. If I do my part ALL of my bolt and AR platforms shot .25-.5 MOA at 100 yards. PSA inspected the upper or so they said, fired a 3 round test group at a 25 yard indoor range from a ransom style rest. The 9/16" group was from Federal 75 TMJ factory ammo. PSA said it was under their "3 MOA Accuracy Guarantee". No longer a PSA customer to say the least.
Here is the problem. One of 2 companies in the US that make carbide reamers made a bunch of reamers that were not to SAAMI spec. Those reamers were sent to every major barrel manufacturer in the country and 10s of thousands of barrels were chambered with the bad reamers. Those barrels have a freebore that is .047" longer than the SAAMI spec. They will shoot the Federal 75TMJ ammo better than any other ammo, they do not shoot the long high BC bullets very well.
On the flip side the barrels that do have the correct SAAMI spec chamber will not shoot the 75TMJ but will shoot the other ammo because the long high BC bullets can be loaded closer to the lands. We exposed all of this the second week of June. Since then Federal and Hornady are sure they have been developing ammo for the SAAMI spec barrels.
Federal has gone back and reworked their ammo. Sierra has gone back and changed the 90gr SMK. The thicker jacket is said not to deform as easily so the OAL and jump to the lands is more consistent. Federal says they will load a new 83gr Berger and a Barnes 78gr TSX ot TTSX.
At this point those really pushing the performance the 80gr ELD at 3000fps will have less drop and drift than the 88s, 90s or 95s. The BC is not as high but the higher velocity allows it to out perform the heavier/slower bullets.

"the 80gr ELD at 3000fps will have less drop and drift than the 88s------------- "

Sort of agree, sort of don't :)
Have NO experience with the funny freebore stuff.
Don't have a 224V but for a 100 to 110 fps difference the slower 88ELD drops more but has about 0.1 MIL less drift (5MPH) @ 1000yds.
I guess it comes down to how stable they are at range.
The 88 goes a little farther before goes trans-sonic.
Hey, I'll get out long some day :)

"the 80gr ELD at 3000fps will have less drop and drift than the 88s------------- "

Sort of agree, sort of don't :)
Have NO experience with the funny freebore stuff.
Don't have a 224V but for a 100 to 110 fps difference the slower 88ELD drops more but has about 0.1 MIL less drift (5MPH) @ 1000yds.
I guess it comes down to how stable they are at range.
The 88 goes a little farther before goes trans-sonic.
Hey, I'll get out long some day :)
Yeah at 100fp difference BUT it's more like 250fps difference. The longer 88 kills powder capacity and you can use H4895 with an 80 but it is too fast for the 88.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
I’ll take the 88g loads thank you. They mimic the various 6.5 loads almost exactly ballistically, making it much easier to switch between them.

To the OP, in matches where you will not have more than one or two stages at 1000 yards, the Valkyrie is a blast to shoot. Here locally, the squirrelly winds out at 1000 make it less fun than the 6.5s, though it’s still capable.

Yeah at 100fp difference BUT it's more like 250fps difference. The longer 88 kills powder capacity and you can use H4895 with an 80 but it is too fast for the 88.
Didn't realize it was that much difference, 80 to 88 in a 224V.
The 88 doesn't look that much bigger.

I'm still evaluating how the two do in my 22N and will take the 88 to another 600 meet Saturday.
I read a lot about the V and usually have to tread lightly when I talk bout the N :)

Lots of similarities so some of the info is pertinent to me.

Nice I was torn between 22 N and, 224 V ..I may look into the 224 valkyrie new DMR rig
I haven't shot any of the 90 grainers in my 22 Nosler as of yet, but the 62 grain Armageddon are great so far in my 18 inch AR. I'm getting ready to air it out at 500-600 yards this weekend. I'm waiting until the bugs get worked out before i j ul- mped into the 224 game.

Reactions: Raffica762
That's strange.
I got a bunch of the 62gr on clearance from Midway. All turned out to be the sharp edged rim that I had to turn a bevel on.
They shot sort of OK, but were a good source of once fired brass. :)
Sort of slow.
Also the 77gr factory, hot and fine for a couple hundred yards but not a 600 yd bullet.

I slow fire single load long with the 80 and 88 ELD.

Wow! What a difference 6 months makes! Last July, there were three .224 V factory offerings that I could find. That list on TargetSports has 10 different loads. Both Federal and Hornady have stepped up big time to the .224 Valkyrie table.