• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

225gr ELD Match Load Data (.308)

Budget Sniper

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2018
Forgive me if this is already out here. I found some info early on to get me started and now having developed a good load, I thought I would share what I have. Didn't see anything specifically devoted to the 225 ELD Match bullet. I'm interested in others' experiences so I'll share mine.

Rifle is a Rem 700 trued action, 31.25" Krieger SS match 4 groove, Varmint #17 contour, 1:10 twist, cut with a custom match reamer. It's bedded in a heavily modified HS Precision stock and is fitted with a Leupold LRP 8.5-25X50.

I'm using new Norma brass, Winchester mag primers (WLRM) and H1000 with the "new" 225gr ELD Match. This bullet is 1.65" long so the custom chamber/jump is cut to an overall length of 3.800 (ogive 3.030) and loaded to a max .300 CID magazine length of 3.75 (ogive 2.980). I know, .05 is A LOT of jump, I think hornady recommends somewhere between .015 and .025. so i was very skeptical. I started loading at 73.5 gr and went up in 1/2 gr increments to 78 gr. Norma brass has a lot more capacity than your average factory brass so it can be loaded hotter. I started seeing very slight pressure (extractor) marks at 77.5 gr and a little more pronounced at 78, but I achieved the best accuracy at 77 with no pressure signs. So here's what I ended up with... 77 gr of h1000 grouped at .37 MOA at 200 yds with a cloverleaf pattern (no significant vertical spread). Crono reads an average of 3020 fps and the strelok app seems to be pretty close for starting dope development. Hopefully someone will find this useful, please share anything you may have.

BS

Reactions: BroncoMustang
Forgive me if this is already out here. I found some info early on to get me started and now having developed a good load, I thought I would share what I have. Didn't see anything specifically devoted to the 225 ELD Match bullet. I'm interested in others' experiences so I'll share mine.

Rifle is a Rem 700 trued action, 31.25" Krieger SS match 4 groove, Varmint #17 contour, 1:10 twist, cut with a custom match reamer. It's bedded in a heavily modified HS Precision stock and is fitted with a Leupold LRP 8.5-25X50.

I'm using new Norma brass, Winchester mag primers (WLRM) and H1000 with the "new" 225gr ELD Match. This bullet is 1.65" long so the custom chamber/jump is cut to an overall length of 3.800 (ogive 3.030) and loaded to a max .300 CID magazine length of 3.75 (ogive 2.980). I know, .05 is A LOT of jump, I think hornady recommends somewhere between .015 and .025. so i was very skeptical. I started loading at 73.5 gr and went up in 1/2 gr increments to 78 gr. Norma brass has a lot more capacity than your average factory brass so it can be loaded hotter. I started seeing very slight pressure (extractor) marks at 77.5 gr and a little more pronounced at 78, but I achieved the best accuracy at 77 with no pressure signs. So here's what I ended up with... 77 gr of h1000 grouped at .37 MOA at 200 yds with a cloverleaf pattern (no significant vertical spread). Crono reads an average of 3020 fps and the strelok app seems to be pretty close for starting dope development. Hopefully someone will find this useful, please share anything you may have.

BS
Cool setup. With your long barrel I'd be interested to know if that would help you to shoot accurately out to a 1000 yards. I appreciate the information you passed along, too. This website is great; so many opportunities to both share from our experience and learn from other's.

Cool setup. With your long barrel I'd be interested to know if that would help you to shoot accurately out to a 1000 yards. I appreciate the information you passed along, too. This website is great; so many opportunities to both share from our experience and learn from other's.
The goal for this gun is to hit a silhouette at a mile, which I'm pretty sure it will do if I can make it go where it should. The gun weighs over 20 lbs and has a Calvin Elite in it, so its really up to me to make it happen.

Just started working up a load with Nosler brass (same as Norma?), 225 ELDs, H1000 and Fed 215s. 76.0 and 76.8 showed the most promise.

Don't have any experience with nosler brass, a buddy had some expand and stick in a fairly new Sendero so I've stayed away.

The problem was over expansion. Other loads have worked fine before and after. Noslers had to be rammed out with a cleaning rod. I've heard they're soft like hornady.

300 win mag... all 30 cal rifle rounds are considered .308 caliber to be loaded in various cartridges. That said, the US shooting team is running the new Berger 200.20x in .308 win at over 2800 fps, so there's that I guess.