• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22i versus 34 etc for hunting ?

I think it depends on what kind of hunting you are talking about. For Eastern style deer hunting or predator hunting the 22i was my choice.

But for mountain hunting or horseback hunting it wouldn’t be good at all.

Reactions: deersniper
I have both, the 22i gets used all the time..but it's not compact. It's really light and sturdy as all get out..but not super packable.

The 34 is just that, compact.

It's fully about usage. I love being able to load everything in a pack and walk, but the 22i isn't a big hindrance either. Not having the feet near the locks is super nice too.

No wrong choice for sure, I am totally fine carrying my 22i in hand for any short jaunts.

If you shoot from a sitting position, especially from the side of a hill, the 22i might be a pain in the rear. Wide boi spread. @Diver160651 has some good illustrations somewhere.

Standing, I think the 22i would rock. Fast to deploy. Walking around with it in your hand, like varmint hunting not too far from the truck 👍

If lashed to the back of a back, depending on how it’s affixed, it might hit you in the back of the calf when walking. If stuck in a backpack side pocket, it would stick up a country mile (do you bushwhack through trees?).

One of the things, especially hunting in the West, people don’t often understand is you generally have time to formulate a plan.

Often you’ll glass stuff miles away, you have time to set tripod especially if it has a sling. With distance come time, with time you can set up much better. The 22i in a hunting situation has way more drawbacks than saving 3 seconds over a practices 3 leg user, especially on the West where tripods make the most sence.

I have one and I love it. My use is generally spot and stalk pig and predator hunting. Sometimes there is plenty of time to set up a shot. Sometimes the wind shifts, etc and you have seconds. A lot of the time I’m walking with legs already extended and ready to go. With the inverted legs it’s extremely easy to make leg adjustments even when you’re already clipped in. Also in muddy ground you never have to touch the lower part of the legs or worry that the twist collars are going into the mud if you don’t extend the bottom leg.

All that said I do want to pick up a tfct 24L as well to have a lighter, more packable tripod. The 22i can’t use the tfct apex with the twist locks being at the top of the legs.

I just went through all this, just got my TFCT 24L with Anvil 30 and it’s the shit. ALMOST as stable as my buddy’s 34L but lighter, more compact. One of the original RRS employees recommended it as the “do-all” RRS tripod for hunting/tactical/comp crossover tripod. I’ll try to find the thread I started.

For western hunting or where you’re walking or whatever it’s pretty ideal to have it break down small and be light. So far I think this will be the perfect tripod for me for all but the craziest backpack, high altitude hunts .

I can't help but think the long minimum length to the 2 section tripod would be a huge pain in the ass outside of flat terrain.

Steep slopes seem like they'd be a nightmare with a 2 section tripod, even on flat ground you seem to loose a fair bit of versatility when limited to such a long minimum length.
I set my 4 section tripod up to the minimum height of a 22i and found it to be somewhat annoying having to rely on spreading the legs super wide for sitting/kneeling/prone positions.

Like others have stated that was my issue with the 22i…. being massive to carry around.

Hiking in to blinds and just scouting trips to set up for a hunt was a pain in the ass with that thing. It’s massive.

I’ve since gone to a 24L but a 33 has me intrigued.

Big problem with the 22i also is if you don’t have a higher chair or sitting on the ground… you’ll need to take the legs to position 2 and the footprint is laughably massive.