• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22lr Ammo testing long range vs short.

So your also implying that if I shot lot# 1 box 1 for barrel length 26" and lot# 1 box 2 for barrel length 24" my results are already flawed... how about 2 boxes each length and 5 different ammo options?

You can't look at these cartridges as identical. They are visibly, audibly, measurably different, every one.
Would you expect identical results from y'er centerfire handloads based on that knowledge?
When every cartridge is not identical, they aren't going to produce similar results.
Justin is absolutely correct. One of the difficulties of comparing relatively small sample sizes of groups -- whether they are at 50 yards or 100 -- is that there's ammo variation that still occurs within a box of ammo (let alone in a brick) it becomes virtually impossible to compare apples to apples.

Each individual round can be considered unique. It may behave similarly to most of the other rounds in the box, but it can still be different in one or a combination of ways that make each one distinctive. Few rounds even from the same lot will be exactly identical in areas such as the weight and dimensions of individual components including bullet, casing and priming as well as bullet seating depth and concentricity. The result is that they behave as individuals when they are shot and this individual behavior becomes magnified as distance increases.

Once rounds in a group are shot they are gone, literally destroyed. They can't be tested again in a different barrel or at a different distance. It's impossible to compare apples to apples. Only with a considerable number of groups from a lot of ammo can statistically reliable comparisons be made.

However...

There's one situation where the same rounds can be compared fairly at two different distances. That's at a place like the Lapua testing facilities in Ohio or Arizona. There ten rounds are shot through the test tunnel and electronic sensors record the results at both 50 meters and 100. The sensors don't interfere with the rounds as they pass 50 meters and only record results. The same bullets that produced a group at 50 by electronic means continue down the tunnel to record a group result electronically at 100. No paper is used for targets.

Since the same ammo produces results at 50 and 100 meters, it's possible to compare apples to apples.

But still only in one barrel length... oops that wasnt the topic here..
I have done enough other 22lr testing to have a pretty good idea of how consistent I am and how repeatable my results are. I'm definitely not at BR level precision but neither do I need to be for what I do. My thought is if weather, shooting from a bypod etc. Masks any gains between two barrel lengths it doesnt matter in my case as I cant shoot the difference anyway. Now If I was at a BR level of precision then I may find differences that I can't now but that doesn't matter.
The 50/100 vs 200 yards for ammo testing all the discussion has confirmed some of my experience and given me food for thought in other areas. I can also see I'm not as far down the rabbit hole as some 🤣.

Back to relevant testing... have a 1000 rounds each of a few different ammo. If i test 26" 24" 22" that gives me 300 of each plus fouling. Is that good? I could do 20" but I have little interest in that short for balance but that would give me 220 plus fouling.

I'm not coming at this totally blind and have my own opinions but I have a interest in having multiple views. If it was you testing....
Would you do the 300 at each length and feel it was good data?
What distances would you choose.
Shots per group.
Number of groups at each yardage.

Back to relevant testing... have a 1000 rounds each of a few different ammo. If i test 26" 24" 22" that gives me 300 of each plus fouling. Is that good? I could do 20" but I have little interest in that short for balance but that would give me 220 plus fouling.

I'm not coming at this totally blind and have my own opinions but I have a interest in having multiple views. If it was you testing....
Would you do the 300 at each length and feel it was good data?
What distances would you choose.
Shots per group.
Number of groups at each yardage.
It's possible that using a chronograph to evaluate ES at various barrel lengths will yield data that help you decide if there's a sufficiently significant relationship between barrel length and a smaller ES. Whether testing for accuracy can be conclusive may be another question altogether. Best accuracy performance in a barrel is not usually the product of a random length. As noted by a previous poster, the bore may be tighter or looser at various points. Cutting the barrel shorter at points determined by a tape measure rather than slugging for tightness will not take ideal length into account.

There doesn't seem to be as many serious attempts to compare .22LR barrel length to accuracy. It's not necessarily a simple or straightforward process. Among the reasons for this is the one described above.

While the Ballistics by the Inch determinations are often taken as gospel, for an alternative conclusion there's this 2018 experiment looking at MV on a progressively shortened barrel and its effect on the MV of various ammos, see Another Crazy 22Rim Fire Test! - Topic (accuratereloading.com)
(Note: this is the same shooter who produced the often-cited but easily-misunderstood ".22LR Rimfire Ammo Comparison Test" here .22LR Rimfire Ammo Comparison Test within AccurateShooter.com)

His conclusion was short and straightforward: "With center fire each inch means something, here not so much."

Clearly there's room for much more work that needs to be done on barrel length and relationships to MV, ES, and accuracy.

Well I have been focusing on PRS training the last while I still get time for the odd test here and there.
Here is some Center X 10 shot groups at 50 yds what I typically see.
20210327_192032.jpg

It runs 8" at 212 yds
Here is some Eley Force at 50. Also 10 shot what I typically see.
20210328_194459.jpg

At 212 yds average 3.87"

Well I have been focusing on PRS training the last while I still get time for the odd test here and there.
Here is some Center X 10 shot groups at 50 yds what I typically see.
View attachment 7597958
It runs 8" at 212 yds
Here is some Eley Force at 50. Also 10 shot what I typically see.
View attachment 7597960
At 212 yds average 3.87"
Crazy ain't it dont focus close is the word!

Crazy ain't it dont focus close is the word!
Yes. I've know this for awhile. 50 yrd doesnt mean much to me so I have been testing 200 yards for awhile.
I recently started 400 yards. That is another kettle of fish...
I will be getting a 1-12 on the next rifle shortly...

Yes. I've know this for awhile. 50 yrd doesnt mean much to me so I have been testing 200 yards for awhile.
I recently started 400 yards. That is another kettle of fish...
I will be getting a 1-12 on the next rifle shortly...
I truly believe you'll see improvement with the 12 I have noticed a horizontal change at longer yardage due to spin drift based upon veloicty increases over ammo choices. I normally stay at the 320 line at house , I have a deer feeder that's 247 yards from my porch bench I keep the crows beat off of it pretty good 1 out of 3 is normally in trouble with a cold bore. It shoots low right so I adjust , sometimes to much.

Reactions: BisSilent