• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR ammunition test - Fiocchi HP sub-sonic

Once I've whittled out the "no hopers" and got down to a small selection I'll have a go at some expansion trials. For me, I think accuracy must come first, it must be available locally and it must be sub-sonic as a couple of areas I shoot are very noise sensitive so a moderator is essential.

I fully accept that this is a very limited trial and that ammunition that suits one rifle may not suit another but I think it may introduce a bit of reality about the performance that can be expected of .22 HP hunting ammo. How many times do you hear "my 10/22 shoots cloverleaves at 75 yds no problem" Yes, so does mine if you discount the one I pulled and the flyer :) (and only shoot three shots and call it a group)

What I think would be a really great outcome would be to weed out the flyers before you shoot them, maybe by careful measuring/weighing etc. In the group shown in the video three shots have gone into a really tight group, as good as the rifle/me can do with top quality match ammunition. I have shot several similar groups with this ammunition, a tight clump and a few flyers, I wish I knew why.

Thanks for the test and cool video. Have you tried Winchester or Eley Subs? My VQ loved the old Winchester 40 gr. subs but I have not yet tried the newer 42 gr. subs. I'll have to keep an eye open for the Fiocchi 40 gr subs to give them a try. Thanks again for the test.

Thanks for the test and cool video. Have you tried Winchester or Eley Subs? My VQ loved the old Winchester 40 gr. subs but I have not yet tried the newer 42 gr. subs. I'll have to keep an eye open for the Fiocchi 40 gr subs to give them a try. Thanks again for the test.

I have both the Eley and Winny HP subs to try along with RWS and a couple of others. The Eley HP sub is my standard rabbit round, I find it fairly accurate, it cycles my Voere Semi-auto reliably and seems to stop small game quite well. I've also been shooting it so long that I can estimate the holdover required reasonably well. However, I've never really tried to see exactly how well it shoots compared with other brands. My guess is, that it's all a compromise - The Winnys expand better but not quite so accurate, the RWS are accurate and expand but don't reliably cycle my semi-auto etc.:)

Grabbing a couple of hours with a .22 early on a beautiful Sunday morning and pretending you are doing something "serious" or "useful" is so much easier to justify to yourself rather than just plinking :)