• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR AR Semi Auto

AngryKoala

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2020
Alright fellas, looking for advice on a 22LR semi rifle in 16" and pistol form. Also looking for a 22LR handgun. I have suppressors for each on order.

I'm not really interested in polymer options (polymer handgun is fine just not rifle) and I've been eyeing up the tippman elite options. Before I pull the trigger on those I figured I would inquire here for other options. Only looking for first hand experience. The pistol will be for my son (and me) to have some good "cheap" fun.
Ambi, isn't required but might be nice just to get him and I use to shooting off hand.

I use the CMMG Bravo conversion kit. The one I have included an auto trip weight also. Swaps out for the bcg. That easy.
Just use in a nicer AR you already own.
Otherwise I have a dedicated Colt 22lr. It’s ok. Never had any issues. Just feels kinda cheap.

I use the CMMG Bravo conversion kit. The one I have included an auto trip weight also. Swaps out for the bcg. That easy.
Just use in a nicer AR you already own.
Otherwise I have a dedicated Colt 22lr. It’s ok. Never had any issues. Just feels kinda cheap.
Yea, looking for a dedicated one but I may run that option.

I've been very happy with my HK416 clone....added pistol brace (i ordered the HK426 pistol). But they do have 16" from what I'm tracking.

For pistol, the Ruger Mark IV with a red dot is hands down awesome for all ages..
20210926_101210.jpg

20200926_092044.jpg

I went with a dedicated 22 upper.

Beyer barrel, psa upper, stngr handguard, cmmg bolt. Since I had a stack of M&P 15-22 mags already sitting around, I grabbed a BetterMag adapter to allow me to run those mags in my lower of choice. Shoots great! I have it set up to mimic my favorite .223 build and it works well for drills. I've never tried it with a precision scope for groups, but I've been more than impressed with it's accuracy compared to my M&P 15-22.

What barrel length you looking for in the pistol

I went 4.5 and it’s pretty compact. Some days I think about the 8-9 range but the fun factor just isn’t there for me personally

Reactions: the monk
I went 4.5 and it’s pretty compact. Some days I think about the 8-9 range but the fun factor just isn’t there for me personally

Yea, 4.5" might be just a tad too small for me but I may pick one up for my wife. The CMMG uppers look OOS so I guess I'll just build with parts. Makes more sense as I was planning on trying the Radian/ADM receivers anyway. I'll just have to find all the parts for the upper.

Alright fellas, looking for advice on a 22LR semi rifle in 16" and pistol form. Also looking for a 22LR handgun. I have suppressors for each on order.

I'm not really interested in polymer options (polymer handgun is fine just not rifle) and I've been eyeing up the tippman elite options. Before I pull the trigger on those I figured I would inquire here for other options. Only looking for first hand experience. The pistol will be for my son (and me) to have some good "cheap" fun.
Ambi, isn't required but might be nice just to get him and I use to shooting off hand.
The Tippman is nice, it's all metal construction, like a real AR15. But if you want something that's not AR style, the Ruger 10/22 rifles are infinitely customizable. They're essentially like the "sporting" version of the AR, in the fact that you can buy damn-near anything and everything you want to customize it to your wants/needs.

As for pistols, that new FN 502 is amazing! I don't have one yet, but I've handled one that had a Holosun HS507C-X2 on it, and that is the one I want to go with for my next .22LR pistol. Currently I'm using a highly-customized Kimber Target Rimfire conversion on my Kimber RLE/RL II frame. And it's working great, but I want to run a red dot sight, and that FN 502 has 15-round mags and is already cut for red dot plates from the factory.

Or, you could always go with the old standby, the Ruger MK-IV or the 22/45. Both excellent and long-proven reliable options. Personally, I prefer the 22/45 over the MK-IV, but that's just me.

Reactions: Combat photog
Cmmg dedicated upper and side folder. Black Dog magazine with steel fees lips. Makes for some fun times
I built an sbr with a CMMG upper and use Black Dog magazines. Runs like a sewing machine. I shoot Ruger 22/45 and Mk 4 pistols and have never had any problems. On the pistols, these days you can get them out of the box in all kinds of different configurations, lightweight and scope/red dot ready. I have had great experiences with Kidd and Tactical Solutions firearms.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Go Kidd SG and you got the best 10/22 or you can just buy a standard 10/22 and put a Volquartzen extractor in it.

I vote for a Ruger 10/22. You can get a basic one around $300 that will last a lifetime. The takedown models can be had under $500.

Down the road, you & your son can decide how to customize it together.

He already has one of those, gifted from his grandpa. I'm looking at the AR platform specifically.

Reactions: drewthebrave
I vote for a Ruger 10/22. You can get a basic one around $300 that will last a lifetime. The takedown models can be had under $500.

Down the road, you & your son can decide how to customize it together.
Back when I was selling guns at the gun store (20 years ago) a basic Ruger 10/22 was $169 MSRP. I bought mine from a guy who came in the store with one BNIB that he bought for his son and told him he could have it if he got good grades... He obviously did not get good grades. The owner offered him $75 for it (which was slightly lower than cost, because once sold it's technically considered a "used" gun, even if it's never been fired). And the guy said he wouldn't take less than $100 for it. I told him to meet me in the parking lot after work hours. So I did, and handed him $100 bill, and he handed me my Ruger 10/22 (Face-to-face transfers are legal in Alabama). 👍🏼

Reactions: drewthebrave
Of the AR platform .22's the Tippman is the best one. It's made of all metal components and receivers, like a real AR15. 👍🏼

There are a few companies that have 22LR versions of their AR15, I wonder if they are just using CMMG parts.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
There are a few companies that have 22LR versions of their AR15, I wonder if they are just using CMMG parts.
I made one using the RTB (right to bear) version that comes with mags which is made by cmmg, paired with the bore buddy kit and a Beyer barrel that was suggested in another thread here. It turned out great. I tried a few kinds of ammo and it was not really picky shooting quarter sized 5 shot groups slow fire at 100yds. After 5 rounds I mag dumped the rest to test reliability. No issues other then some old federal ultra match. All the cci went well with SV shooting best followed by ar tac and then minimags. All shots after that have been close in ~25yds with the kids ringing steel.
ar22.jpg

Here’s the 4.5 inch. It’s solely a blaster, had a binary trigger and micro red dot on it, took em off to sell it and never did.
6272BB2D-E567-4457-B35F-EB8F194D9DDE.jpeg

Reactions: nikonNUT
I have the 11” Tippman PSB and its very fun to shoot. Seems to shoot real well with most ammo. Waiting on a MASK for it

Get a Rare Breed FRT-15... You'll never go back to binary...
To be honest this thing will probably be sold soon. It’s fun, but don’t shoot it that much anymore and time to start a new project I’m thinking

To be honest this thing will probably be sold soon. It’s fun, but don’t shoot it that much anymore and time to start a new project I’m thinking
Might be interested,

Also, I walked into my LGS to see what they had 22 wise and walked out with a slightly used browning buck mark for $250 out the door, not a terrible deal. Really didn't need it but figured my son, wife and I could have fun with it. I have a mark 3 already but for that price I was like eh why not.

20211013_184322.jpg

Man, that's an EARLY production Buckmark... Nice score for $250! Hate to ruin the value (but I'd have that end threaded 1/2x28 and the front sight moved back some. Those things are nice with a can. Great for fixing snake and varmint problems around the house without waking everyone up, or scaring the neighbors with gunshots. 👍🏼

Man, that's an EARLY production Buckmark... Nice score for $250! Hate to ruin the value (but I'd have that end threaded 1/2x28 and the front sight moved back some. Those things are nice with a can. Great for fixing snake and varmint problems around the house without waking everyone up, or scaring the neighbors with gunshots. 👍🏼

Haha I've thought about it but I might keep it as is and get it re-blued (some wear present at the front). Yea, I forget the year but once I saw the flush mag I knew it was old. I don't think the newer mags will sit flush.

I'll probably grab a new one that's already threaded once my check comes in. Can't believe it was so cheap and it feels lighter than the mark 3 so my son should have a easier time with it.

Reactions: FuhQ
Nordic components made some for DPMS in the past that got great reviews. I have one and it runs very well suppressed. It looks like they still make a dedicated upper. I bought it over others for proper manual of arms, as a trainer for kids.

Reactions: AngryKoala
Good snag on the buckmark for sure.

Just checked the breech face this morning and there's a really nice indent from the firing pin. Not sure how I missed that at the shop....rookie mistake on my part. I guess I'll see if she can still shoot this weekend.

I bought Tippmann Micro Elite bout 6mo bak. Have had a blast with it! Fit and finish are good. Screwed a SiCo Spectre II on it first day. Holosun 510 sight and you are gtg. Like all rimfire’s that you shoot suppressd, you have to clean em. They all get dirty quik!! Would buy this identical settup again

Did this really go 47 posts without someone suggesting JP? Well, if so- and I didn’t read every post- just get a JP and be done with it.

Did this really go 47 posts without someone suggesting JP? Well, if so- and I didn’t read every post- just get a JP and be done with it.

Considered them but looking for an mlok handguard which wasn't an option on their site. Plus, last time I inquired about their lead time I think they were close to a year.

I recommend Ruger LCRX3" .22 revolver. Trigger pull is decent for a .22.

For a short while Rainer Arms was selling an RUC .22lr dedicated upper. I use mine on my KAC SR15 lower, and it functions great. A good option if you see one for sale anywhere.

Like you, I also want a dedicated .22lr pistol.

At one time it was rumored that JP 22 lr uppers were rebadged Nordic Components complete 22lr uppers. Even if that is no longer the case, I’d look close at Nordic Components…