• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR ELR Matches

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I am looking for info on 22LR ELR Matches. What is the course of fire, rules, etc? My range is 500yds now and may push it out to 600yds. We shoot a long range 22LR out to 400yds now. Just looking for info?

I am looking for info on 22LR ELR Matches. What is the course of fire, rules, etc? My range is 500yds now and may push it out to 600yds. We shoot a long range 22LR out to 400yds now. Just looking for info?
Following, as we shoot barricade matches to 400.

I've been looking for a "national sanctioning body" for rimfire ELR with zero luck. I was talking to @mulish about it and he kept mentioning 12" squares as the "official" target size. There is a Long Range and ELR Forum on www.longrangeonly.com that has some rules and COF for the Big Sky ELR Rimfire Challenge but that has been the only thing that I've found so far.

Let me know if you find something.

Reactions: mulish
I can tell you with the existing 22LR ammo it will be luck that determines who can break it. Most 22LR ammo has a ES of 20+ which equates to approximately 14” at 500+ yards (Yes there are exceptions but rare). This is the equivalent of a 308 hitting 3/3 at approximately 2000+ yards on a 2.5 MOA plate. The 22LR is severely unstable at that distance (tumbling) and does not have the energy to penetrate 2 layers of fire hose.

Our first match, I think the winning hit percentage was 55-60% and that's with some shifty 10-15mpr winds in southern tier NYS last weekend. We had flashers on the targets and our longest shot was 416yds. It was pretty fun.

I can tell you with the existing 22LR ammo it will be luck that determines who can break it. Most 22LR ammo has a ES of 20+ which equates to approximately 14” at 500+ yards (Yes there are exceptions but rare). This is the equivalent of a 308 hitting 3/3 at approximately 2000+ yards on a 2.5 MOA plate. The 22LR is severely unstable at that distance (tumbling) and does not have the energy to penetrate 2 layers of fire hose.
We shoot regularly at 400 yds. in our matches, 8" sq. knockdowns. We have shot at 500yds. If the wind is good we can hit 4.5" clays, but the hit % is low. we going to put up a 12" x 12" plate and see how we can due. It will be a swinger.

The trick is having targets small enough to keep the hit percentage competitive and challenging but large enough to you CAN actually hit them and have fun.

Ammo SDs also become very apparent at these ranges.