• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 22lr pistol host suggestions

clark98ut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
Liberty Hill, TX
I've got a Sparrow on the way and need to pick up a pistol. Got plenty of 22lr rifles, but need a decent pistol. Would prefer something pre-threaded. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: 22lr pistol host suggestions

Ruger 22/45 w/ factory threaded barrel

Doesn't look like there are a lot of choices...Sig Mosquito, Ruger, and Walther. Thoughts on the newer polymer 22/45s?

22/45 is a great pistol, I've had one for years. About to send mine off for threading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W 422 </div></div>

This and the 622 make an excellent host due to the elevated sight plane and the threaded barrel. The only problem is they can be hard to find.

I have a Walther P22. Cycles like a charm and accurate! With the can that is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W 422 </div></div>

This and the 622 make an excellent host due to the elevated sight plane and the threaded barrel. The only problem is they can be hard to find. </div></div>

Both of these would have to be threaded correct?

Browning Buckmark or Ruger mk3/22-45

I just got a M&P22 and will be selling my pac lite Ruger.
grin.gif

The only sucky part about the M&P is you have to buy the adapter like with the P22.

get the 22/45 and a mk2 VQ trigger kit and hammer bushing. It'll unfuck all the stupid factory safety BS and make it run like a real gun.
24ci8mu.jpg

Smith if you can find them, Buckmarks are nice too. The S&W you need a muzzle nut adapter, like the Walther, I have big hands so the above 2 work well as do the Ruger's ,best advice is to find a pistol that is comfortable to you. The smith's are very light.
P1000632.jpg

P1000553.jpg

22 1911 hands down.

The GSG is the same gun as the Sig 1911-22, and I love it.

I've had/have lots of other 22 pistols, (S&W/Ruger/TacSol PacLite Ruger/Buckmarks/old Colts/old High Standards/etc)

For only $330 you can get this, which is my favorite .22 pistol right now:

She makes an excellent trainer/22 comp gun.

GERG1911ADOP.jpg

^

Oh, but 1 caveat. Make sure you get the Gemtech adapter for it. It also has the small thread pitch that needs an adapter for 1/2x28, and the cheap adapters SUCK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 1911 hands down.

I've had/have lots of other 22 pistols, (S&W/Ruger/TacSol PacLite Ruger/Buckmarks/old Colts/old High Standards/etc)

</div></div>

Hmm now you got me giving the GSG 1911 more thought. How does it do with ammo? Picky at all out of the box?
I have a Sig mosquito and p22.

You can also get the Mosquito with a threaded barrel. I love both my Sig and Walther. Once I figured out "my" Sig loves to feed on the Rem gold only(even any of the CCi would cause failure), I used it in the P22 once I got it and I rarely if "ever" have a failure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22 1911 hands down.

GERG1911ADOP.jpg
</div></div>

GSG and Sig 1911-22's are the cats meow. I just got a Sig today along with an adapter from the silencer store. Works like a charm and the Sig is very well built. I quickly sold my factory threaded 22/45. Very cheap feeling with the polymer frame. safety, mag release, and slide release all felt rough and very flimsy to me. Or you can get a Ruger metal framed gun and get a pac-lite barrel for it.

The local Academy has the Sig 1911-22 for $379. They also had the Mosquito which felt good in my hands. Much more so than most Sigs I've handled.

I've got a Silencerco Sparrow. Used to run it on a Walther P22. Didn't run very well for me. Switched over to a Ruger 22/45 and haven't looked back. Great little pistol. I've put TONs of rounds through it with no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W 422 </div></div>

The older S&W 422, 622, 2206, 2214, & 2213 pistols are great to suppress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clark98ut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W 422 </div></div>

This and the 622 make an excellent host due to the elevated sight plane and the threaded barrel. The only problem is they can be hard to find. </div></div>

Both of these would have to be threaded correct? </div></div>

They just need a thread adapter like the P22. I have not shot my P22 much since acquiring one of these older S&W pistols. They run great will any type of ammo and are surprisingly accurate.

Another vote for the GSG 1911. I took out the mag safety and pinned the grip safety. Pure awesome now. Runs rem sub sonics like a charm.

The going rate seems to be $250 - $350 depending on condition and the 622 pistols seem to go for a little more than the 422 models.

I use a Mark II, a 22/45, a Sig Mosquito and a Tacsol 2211 upper on a Springfield 1911 frame. They all run good and I use them for different stuff. The Rugers are my woods carry guns. The Sig is small and what my kids shoot most of the time to learn big gun controls. The 2211 is just damn fun and has the same feel as my carry gun.

I run a P22 and am very happy with it. I'm amazed at the number of host options we have today that are reliable and accurate. I will second the GSG 1911-22 as a host...very nice...and thanks to others for the heads up on the S&W's...didn't know they existed!

My GSG 1911 will be here tomorrow, and my Sparrow paperwork cleared friday and will be at the dealer whenever the ATF gets around to mailing it! Ill let you know how she runs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Csf45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My GSG 1911 will be here tomorrow, and my Sparrow paperwork cleared friday and will be at the dealer whenever the ATF gets around to mailing it! Ill let you know how she runs </div></div>

Same combo I run. Very quiet. You should also look into a bolt action .22 like a cz 452 american. It is more quiet than a pellet gun.

I run a P22 and Ruger 22/45. Both cycle fine, but the Ruger is better balanced with the Outback II. Furthermore, no stupid adapter is needed for the Ruger.

P22, MkIII 22/45 factory threaded, M&P 22 are all great hosts (and all come with prethreaded barrels). The P22 and M&P use the same thread adapter (Walther barrels).

I have the Walther, Sig, and Ruger. I would rather shoot the ruger because with subsonic the action is much quieter than the other two.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clark98ut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The local Academy has the Sig 1911-22 for $379. They also had the Mosquito which felt good in my hands. Much more so than most Sigs I've handled. </div></div>

Yeah between the P22 and the Mosquito I have, I like how the Sig feels alot better. The P22 has more of a toy feeling to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clark98ut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W 422 </div></div>

Both of these would have to be threaded correct? </div></div>

No, they use a barrel nut similar to the Walther. All that is required is an adapter for the proper thread pitch.

I've got a Ruger MKIII hunter and its a great little shooter

I have a Buckmark and Tacsol barrel for my Spectre. It works well as long as I keep it clean. If I were in the market today, I'd go for the M&P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Buckmark and Tacsol barrel for my Spectre. It works well as long as I keep it clean. If I were in the market today, I'd go for the M&P. </div></div>

I have pretty consistent issues with my Buckmark after about 15 mags.
It cycles enough to strip a new round but doesn't cock the hammer.
I'm considering retiring the Tac-Sol Buckmark setup for something a little cleaner/quieter.

Sig Sauer P220 (.45 ACP) with the threaded 22LR conversion kit. Has the same feel of the full size 45.

I have a Sig Mosquito and Walther P22. I have been wanting to get a Beretta 22 and have the barrel threaded to make a small package.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the M&P22 as soon as Ruger releases the threaded barrels for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clark98ut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the M&P22 as soon as Ruger releases the threaded barrels for them. </div></div>

M&P has a threaded barrel, so I'm assuming you're talking about the SR22.

Held a SR22 the other day and was pretty impressed by it.

That's it, SR22. Can't wait till we get some in here at the store. Got guys foaming at the mouth to put their Elements and Sparrows on one.

<span style="color: #3333FF">The most accurate one I own is a Marvel kit on a 1911 frame it came threaded and shoots as well as a S&W 41 with a rail for optics for night use.</span>
22calpisols004.jpg