• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR Post Your Long Range Pics 300yds+

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA
After reading in this thread it has revived my interest in my 22. I know some guys have been pushing them all the way out to 600yds. I thought it would be cool to have a place where we can post all of our 300yd+ 22lr groups. My range goes out to 300yds and when my new parts for my 22 show up i will be posting lots of pics of my own. I want to try balloons at 500yds.

Post them if you've got them

Re: 22LR Post Your Long Range Pics 300yds+

I'm out shooting right now actually. I've been shooting 200 yards fairly well, 4-5" 10-shot groups on steel at least. Windy here today, 12MPH from my 10 o'clock. I'll try to find a spot corner-to-corner to stretch 300 yards!

there's a few targets posted in the long range rimfire comps, some of those groups are darn amazing!

a guy by the name of berga does it with just a sling, double amazing.

i am going to get on the 300yd kick this year, was just waiting for new optics for the mkii bv....the sporter barreled F model i have is a bit less than consistant way out there.

Shooting at 405 yds - just over 50% hit ratio. Was unable to spot hits due to snow or I think I could have done better.
Target is 45% (8x12 ish)

34oy5gp.jpg

Rifle is rem 40x with 5-20 ss shooting lapua center x - 21.5 mils ele up

Regards,
DT

Nice. Have you guys seen the threads where they have the different brands of ammo tested for BC and muzzle velocity? There is also a thread where a guy tests the extreme spread and standard deviation in muzzle velocity of the different brands of ammo. I thought i would post them here for reference for the guys wanting to stretch the legs on the 22lr accurately

Click Me For BC and Muzzle Velocity

Click Me For ES and SD of Ammo

I want to give the Federal Classic Hyper Velocity ammo a try. It looks like it has good velocity for getting out to 500yds with a muzzle velocity of 1,465fps, an ES of 11fps, and a SD of 3.74fps. My gun likes the cheap high speed stuff so im going to try this stuff at the 300yd range when my parts show up.

D_TROS...I don't know what ammo you are using but according to Exbal my ammo has 58moa drop and 17moa of wind per 10mph at 405yds LOL.

You would have to shoot a 338 Lapua with the 250 Scenar out to about a mile to match that drop and drift!

yea my ammo is std vel so the elevation required is a little more than the hyper velocity stuff. In warmer weather, I remember dialing 73.5 MOA (It was 21.5 mils elevation 3 weeks ago)

Regards,
DT

I gave it a "shot" yesterday. My furthest .22 shot to that point was 25yds, but we were playing with the big guns on the 400yd range and figured what the heck.

There is a 18"x24" piece of steel out at 380yds. I guessed at elevation and thankfully there was minimal wind. I was rewarded with multiple hits! I had 4-5 in a row and was overall in the 80% range.

The topper was my father-in-law's dad was with us and couldn't believe it, so I coached him into a first round hit at 380yds!

I know it's a big target, but it was still a ton of fun!

Savage MkII FV-SR
Mueller 4.5-14 APT
Burris XTR low rings
DIP bottom metal
Shooter ridge bipod

CCI Standard Velocity

I did try a couple at the 400yds target, but spotting was impossible due to the snow.

But I have a goal for next summer, about 10"x12" at 400yds
2011-12-27_13-16-22_457.jpg

I got so wrapped up in shooting 22 rimfire that my centerfire guns sat for about 9 months. Started shooting at 300 yards in June, 2011 and got some very good help from several people here at SH Rimfire Section.

All 25 round groups and all rounds were fired prone with no rear rest. All were shot with an Anschutz 64 MPR and Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50, Harris bipod with pod lock. Conditions varied during the season, as you would expect from 15-30 mph winds to less than 5 mph. Temperture ranges from 105 degrees to 55 degrees.

Here is a progression of my 300 yard SH comp shooting from June till November 2011.

June, 2011 214 3 x's lots of vertical stringing

300ydAnschutzWolfMTammo.jpg

2 targets July 2011 lots of wind first target

300yp7-10-11.jpg

best of two rounds 240 4 x's

pic2300ydAnnie64SM3407-17-11.jpg

August 2011 wind and mostly terrible heat - NOT MUCH FUN

233 3 'xs

300yd64MPR8-21-11.jpg

September 2011 235 6 x's

IMG_0612.jpg

October 2011 242 6 x's

SH300YDMR6310-11-112436xs.jpg

November 2011 246 9 x's

IMG_0808.jpg

Conditions in November were nearly perfect with just a mild wind from the 6. Over six months of practice in all kinds of condtions, my skill set improved. Once you have established what ammo works best in your specific rifle at various ranges;

IMHO, the one most important thing in shooting rimfire at distance, just like when shooting centerfire is reading and doping the wind. It is exaggerated greatly on these little tiny bullets with low BC's and low velocities.

I am enjoying the great posts on this thread.

Happy Shooting and have a GREAT New Year.

AR

Here is my 400yd target shot at the super secret location of Team Honey Badger HQ.
IMAG0443.jpg

Shot with this lil beauty
laugh.gif

IMAG0253.jpg

Rem 40X in .22lr
McM A1-3 stock
Badger M4 bottom metal
Seekins rings and base
USO 1.8-10 SN3 (now wears a ST10 to get out past 500yd)

Ten shots yes, all in one string no. It was pretty windy that day(5-7mph this is a guestimate on my part) so i was having to hold off the right edge of the plate. But man it was fun to connect at that distance with a .22

A_R, your October target has great vertical. Is that the same ammo you have been using the untire year? Or diff lot?
I would buy lots of that lot number
smile.gif

Alabama, is that target a 45%?
Shooting that thing at 400 is a ton of fun.

Long distance shooting really makes wind reading important. Ha the annoying part is the flight time.

Boom................................ping. ha. and if it get windy, you cant hear it at all. thats annoying and when a spotter is very nice to have.

My goal is to get 1st round hit next time out at 400. will keep you updated. Might get to shoot tomor.

Regards,
DT

Same ammo all year long.

I got 5 bricks same lot early on. Still have 2 1/2 bricks left. I only shoot this lot at 300 yards. Hopefully it will last most this next year, Lord willing.

AR