• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22lr semi auto pistol

OldmaninNeb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2009
Nebraska
Just looking for a descent plinking pistol without breaking the bank....skunk gun so to speak. Ideas's? praises?

Re: .22lr semi auto pistol

If you want a fugly gun that always works, get the ruger mk3, if you want the tacticool look go p22 or mosquito. I personally would get the p22.
-Felipe

The Ruger Mark 2 or Mark 3 are excellent target & varmint pistols. They won't break the bank and would fit the bill or what you are wanting. Smith & wesson also makes a good plinking pistol that is less money than the Ruger. I have the Mark 2 competition model and it's extremely accurate w/ the red dot I have on it. The longer 6 7/8" barrel o the Ruger will be more accurate than the short one of the Mosquito. Although I do have a Mosquito and have never had a problem w/ it. I used it to qualify for my CCW.

the s,w is a good cheap 22 for a little more $ the browning buckmark is a great pistol with lots of add ons and factory options . i would avoid the mosquito

For the money, my Buckmark has been the best .22 I've shot. IMO, the fit and finish are similar to the MKIII, but the trigger is nearly gtg right away. I found the ergonomics slightly more to my taste, and it was less money. It was an easy decision and one I do have not regreted.

I have 2 MKIII's and find them hard to beat for the dough plus there are lots of aftermarket goodies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone tried the Beretta Neos? looks good. </div></div>
If you think the Neos looks good I'm afraid to see what kind of sneakers you have on.

I know you don't want to break the bank, but I went with a ruger mk III with tac sol upper - I love it. Probably my favorite pistol. There's a thread here somewhere with a ton of pictures on these.
I think mine ran around $650 after all was said and done.

The Ruger Mk111 competition is an amazing plinker, super accurate, excellent function and a beatiful pistol. All for under $500.
The P22 is just plain fun, especially with a suppressor on it, would be good for dispatching a skunk quietly. Could probably get the whole package for under $600. Around $300 for just the P22, you could definitely do worse for the money.
Or if you already have a 92 series Beretta, you could get the .22lr conversion kit for $350, this is also really fun and good practice for when you shoot 9mm.

Yes, a friend got a Neos when it first came out, and I shot it a bunch. I like it, a lot.

I also think a Buckmark with a heavy, shorter barrel is very good, and liked both my original High Standard Supermatic Trophy II, and a Buddy's Victor. The Mitchell High Standard shot well, but had durability issues which have yet to be properly resolved on the one my buddy has.

Greg

OK, at the risk of exposing my tennis shoes, and considering the points I had accumulated @ Cabela's ... I decided to try the Neos.
After 150 rounds, I like it. Alittle paint on the front sight to get rid of the black on black, I can get almost scarey at varying distances up to 90 yards to date. If Browning would get off their butts and get their new buckmark holigraphic sight into the stores, this could be a real kick for under $300.

I shoot .22 pistols all the time and have shot most of the guns mentioned above. Probably one of my most favorite things to shoot!

The Ruger Mark II and Mark III are great guns. To me the Mark II is much easier to disassemble and reassemble. Something about the extra safety features in the Mark III make it a pain. Have to turn upside down and get just right. The target models are extremely accurate and shoot very well. Triggers are average+ and target sights are excellent. The guns are balanced very well.

The Beretta Neos is in my opinion the easiest pointing gun ever. I bought one when they first came out. Half of the time you do not even have aim. Something about the backward sweeping grip makes it an extension of your hand. Also The Neos clips have over-sized thumb grips to pull down on the spring. Makes it much easier on you hand for those long afternoons of burning lead. Trigger is average, has a little creep but apparently can be fixed. Have not fiddled with mine. Also with the twist of one screw the Neos falls apart to be cleaned. 5 parts: Barrel, Slide, Spring, Firing Pin, and Handle assembly. Great for cleaning can be done blindfolded.

The Walther is a sweet little gun, easy to use, and one of the few auto loading .22lr that feature a hammer. Beside revolvers and sig misquito .Just take a few to get used too. Gun has lots of options and included is threaded barrel. I have shot both the one with the compensator and the one without. Both shoot great and never jam. Extra grip options help with customization. Very compact and ease of use. To me the bullets stack funny in magazine. Look crooked but they seem to work fine. I find the Walther gun to be extremely light and sometimes hard to point on those follow up shots. Feels like air to me. Must be used to those heavy barrels!

The Browning Buckmark is my favorite of all. The triggers on the Buckmarks are exceptional. I think it is better than 90% of guns out of the box. Extremely crisp and no creep. Do not touch the trigger unless ready to fire! Mine is gold and very wide with a nice smooth area. Easy to control. The Buckmark does require tools to dissemble but it is not to bad. Do not lose safety spring as it will come right out as soon as you take off handle covers! Mags are very nice but need a little building up on the bottom to make sure they click into handle. You will know what I mean if you shoot a Buckmark, can wear out the thumbs. Target sights are great and the extra weight of the heavy barrel help to keep gun on target. The one and only complaint I have against the Buckmark is the safety. It seems to be in a odd place and harder to engage than others mention. You need to turn the gun in your hand then use your thumb to push it up. Tacking off the safety is piece of cake.

Hope this helps you in your decision between the .22 pistols!

Any questions just message me.

Sniper007

IMO hard to beat the Ruger Mark series. Ive got a MKIII and my dad runs 2 MKIIs and they have all been perfect with all ammo and very accurate. But one cheap(I saw one for $250 the other day) and get the aftermarket upper. Well worth the cost

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone tried the Beretta Neos? looks good. </div></div>
If you think the Neos looks good I'm afraid to see what kind of sneakers you have on. </div></div>

Along the lines of what I was thinking.

Like Greg my High Standards are among the best 22's I've shot. You can still pick up a nice one at gun shows, but it will cost you.
The CZ cadet is very accurate with a decent trigger, I just have an upper that goes on a 85 lower.
P-22 is pretty good for the money, but think I'll sell the one I have. My Mosquito runs like a champ, carry it in my "Jack Bauer" bag in the tractor with the Element suppressor attached.
Really like the Trailside, I know a lot of people have had trouble with them but, mine runs and is as accurate as any 22 pistol I've shot.

While I like the High Standards, they have a signficant flaw. The magazines are touchy and will misfeed unless they are carefully tuned; a skill which I never did seem to be able to perfect. At first I though it was a matter of aftermarket quality, but then the factory mags would act up on me too. A friend tuned mine finally, but now he's gone and so are my High Standards.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I like the High Standards, they have a signficant flaw. The magazines are touchy and will misfeed unless they are carefully tuned; a skill which I never did seem to be able to perfect. At first I though it was a matter of aftermarket quality, but then the factory mags would act up on me too. A friend tuned mine finally, but now he's gone and so are my High Standards.

Greg </div></div>

I've never had a problem with mine, these were built back in the 60's and 70's so maybe a different batch. The Duromatic I got when I was 14 for $40.00 is basically a smooth bore, but still runs. Running a brick of 22lr every weekend will wear out a barrel after while.

I have a Buckmark also. Only other .22 pistol i have shot is the Ruger MKIII. The ruger is nice but it stovepiped alot and just didnt feel as good.

Another +1 for the buckmark! I've had mine for years and its the most accurate by far of the .22lr pistol's ive owned or handled! Mine is a 5.5" slab sided heavy bbl. I echo everything mentioned from the above posters regarding this pistol, including the odd-but you get used to it safety, and the houdini spring!! I've shot mine so much I've replaced the buffer pad in it twice now, and the mainspring once.

I also have a walther p-22, and it's kind of a mixed bag for me. I got a limited addition kit that has the short bbl as well as the long bbl with compensator in the same box. Neither setup has been really very accurate for me. However the fun factor of shooting it is very high! For some reason it is just extremely fun to shoot!

+1 for the Ruger Mk2. I have the 22/45 and really like it a lot. I also have the Kimber 22 conversion for my 1911 which is a good shooter as well.

Much love for the Ruger MK II 22/45! Very low maintenance, great accuracy, and a blast to plink with! Can't tell you how many possums, skunks, snakes, and other vermin it has dispatched!

I have the browning buckmark and replaced the upper for a Tac Sol lightweight upper... it is awesome!

love my p22.. only down sides.. wish i got the 3 inch barrel instead of 5 inch due to the fact i can not find a holster for it.. and not much for upgrades...other than that i love the lil critter...

I dont think you can go wrong with the Ruger or Buckmark. I currently own a Smith model 41, a Walther P22 and a Buckmark. The Walter w/ suppressor and the Buckmark make it to the range the most often. The Rugers I have owned were always accurate and reliable.

Randy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marvel conversion on a dedicated 1911 lower.</div></div>

Waiting list...

Here is one I did a little to.

Changed the barrel from a 5 1/2 to 6 7/8 Government target
Drilled and tapped for the base
Trigger Job
Milled the frame for the 1911 grips
relieved under the trigger guard
P1020796.jpg

If you want cheap, I have a S&W 22I could sell you - used, not abused. It's semi-retired as a plinker at my second house.

I like the Ruger 22/45 because it has the same grip angle as the 1911. Of course, I didn't go cheap - Volquartsen trigger kit, Tactical Solutions upper, Aimpoint T1 and an AAC Element.

The Ruger MKIII. I got this one about 10 months ago and this thing is just a tack driver. This morning, I ordered a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and a Volquartsen Volthane Target Grip. Can wait for the end results.

Catalog Number: KMKIII678H
Model Number: 10118
Caliber: .22 LR
Material: Stainless Steel
Finish: Stainless
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Front Sight: Fiber Optic
Barrel Length: 6.88"
Barrel Style: Fluted, Bull
Length: 11.12"
Height: 5.50"
Width: 1.20"
Weight: 41.00 oz.
Twist: 1:16"
RH Grooves: 6
Capacity: 10
Grips: Cocobolo

Awesome~! I didn't think I'd get many answers... After half a brick, I can say that the neos shoots ok, but at 25yards a baseball sized area seems the norm. Perhaps thats pretty good, but not after shooting bolt guns ;-) I'm ready to try a MkII or III target, the heavier barrel might help tighten the circle. Don''t know yet, but never realized shooting 22lr pistols was so much fun.

picked up a p22 bout 2 months ago. picky with subs, but runs standard and high-velocity really well. put a viridian laser on it and it is an absolute blast to play with. suprisingly accurate.

also have a 22/45 that will shoot anything through it. never had a jam in 12 yrs, not even with remy subs. very reliable and accurate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one I did a little to.
Milled the frame for the 1911 grips
relieved under the trigger guard
P1020796.jpg
</div></div>

Can you offer any more specific details about how/where you milled the frame for the 1911 grips, as well as relieving the trigger guard? Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M@D-M@X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ruger MKIII. I got this one about 10 months ago and this thing is just a tack driver. This morning, I ordered a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and a Volquartsen Volthane Target Grip. Can wait for the end results.

Catalog Number: KMKIII678H
Model Number: 10118
Caliber: .22 LR
Material: Stainless Steel
Finish: Stainless
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Front Sight: Fiber Optic
Barrel Length: 6.88"
Barrel Style: Fluted, Bull
Length: 11.12"
Height: 5.50"
Width: 1.20"
Weight: 41.00 oz.
Twist: 1:16"
RH Grooves: 6
Capacity: 10
Grips: Cocobolo </div></div>

PUT THE GUN DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE GUN!

And start ordering cases of 22lr! That Ruger looks like it will be way too much fun!!

For match accuracy a Marvel conversion on a 1911 lower is one of the top units. Bob Marvel left the company he founded but they still produce conversion units under that name. He started another company producing match grade conversion units but have months waiting from what I hear. There are several other 22lr conversion makers coveted by match shooters.

For the money and ease of modding into match accuracy, if that is your thing, I went with a P22. The "Walther p22 bible" is on line shows detail disassembling and some easy things you can do to improve accuracy and reliability. Out of the box mine would not cycle sub sonic ammo. Now it will cycle any ammo I've tried. For tactical purposes it's a smaller package than 22lr rifle and easier to pack. Add a flashlight with red lens filter on the bottom rail makes it a game getter. Plus the added weight makes it feel more like a match pistol improving the pointability and follow up shots.

OK...there goes the low cost factor...lol but, I've got the 22 bug now. the Neos falls apart for cleaning, the trigger could use some work, but it feels good in the hand and seems to automatically line up pretty close at the draw. I see that browning has finally got a few of those holographic sights out there, so ordered one. Also am looking pretty hard @ the ruger markIII 's ... in heavy barrels will the 2 inches make that much difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you offer any more specific details about how/where you milled the frame for the 1911 grips, as well as relieving the trigger guard? Thanks! </div></div>

It started out looking like this.
ruger2245.gif

I milled out the insert looking area and fitted the wood grips. Once the grips were fit to the inlet, I installed the bushings. I used officers model grips and modified them to fit the cut out area.

If I had it to do over, I would just mill the sides flat and install the bushings to accommodate government length grips.

The relief under the trigger guard was done with a dremel and then smoothed and bead blasted to match.

I can't blame them for copying a good idea.

I'm not a fan of the extra safeties they added to the Mk III pistols, so I scored a used Mk II to work with.

How did yours turn out?

Got a pic?

I eliminated the magazine safety but retained the loaded chamber indicator. I installed a Volquartsen sear, trigger, MKII hammer bushing, rear sight, and extended magazine release. I retained the stock MKIII hammer and machined down a small washer on the lathe and used that with the MKII hammer bushing to eliminate the magazine safety. In the end,it all worked pretty good with about a 1.5# trigger pull.

IMG_4160.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking for a descent plinking pistol without breaking the bank....skunk gun so to speak. Ideas's? praises? </div></div>
I have a NEOS. It was all about the price & how well it shot.

I kept the target from my first shot with a friends. I was about .025" high from a perfect bullseye @ 25yds. That was it, I was sold on it.

I got the 4" plain jane as it was about $200 before tax. Mags were about 11 or 12 after shipping from CDNN. I figured the 4" was closer to a carry gun size wise. Some of the owners that have both the 4" & 6" say there is no advantage to the 6"

I have dealt with probably every problem the NEOS has & would buy another unless I just wanted a different gun for sake of variety.

I have a few mods & a lot of rounds through mine. On more than 1 occasion I have gone over a bulk pack through it in one sitting. I hardly ever shoot less than half a bulk pack at a time. Unless the range guy is flicking the lights cause it's time to go.

There are a few negatives I've found about the gun. I don't like the position or function of the safety. No holsters readily available.

I can elaborate if needed.

You can get a Ruger and plan and pile up a bunch of changes to it, or you can simply get a Buckmark and shoot it
smile.gif

I was looking at a Ruger MK2 g ov bull barrel this weekend - $235 - in great shape- that's a shooter for ya.