• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR shopping

atepointer

sub-amateur paint chipper
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Guys I'd like to pick up a 22LR and preferably something with a threaded barrel so I can form 1 it. I don't want or need a fancy overly expensive setup and will definitely not be consternating over calipers/paper. Just a fun plinker steel. I run a RPR 6.5 and at 18 months love it even more than when I bought it....it just works. Thanks for any suggestions. Not interested in piecing something out was actually considering the Ruger Rimfire, but happy to hear any other thoughts. Thanks all

I bought the RAR target model and put it in an MDT LSS with a LRTSi and couldn’t be happier. It shoots great and have taken it out to 300 yards. Shot pretty good in the laminate stock as well but I found a deal on the LSS I couldn’t say no to.
    F659A2CF-DE5A-42EB-B67E-B7FFD400A535.jpeg

If you are not going to obsess over a few 10th of an inch average at 50 yards, the Ruger Precision Rimfire gives a lot of gun for the money. It will also look and feel a little like your 6.5 Ruger.

Just be aware that Ruger has a wider range of QC than other rifles focused on accuracy. Some folks have reported great accuracy - others say they have a gun that patterns instead of groups.

I have a Ruger American Rimfire (not the Precision) that I bought as a fun plinker/hunter with the threaded barrel. It took about 500-600 rounds to settle down the barrel, but after that, it is a .5"-.7" gun at 50 yards. Not great accuracy, but good enough for what I wanted it for.

I recently bought a Tikka T1X looking for more consistent accuracy, and I have found it. I'm still keeping the Ruger as a light, fun plinker/hunter - and I already have a bunch of 10/22 magazines, so it's a winner on that account.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: silentheart
    I went the tikka t1x route and happy. The stock is junk so I put it in a chassis. So far happy with it.

Buddy just got a Bergara b14r and it’s a shooter. If this was out and I tried both I would buy the bergara.

Spend some time on www.rimfirecentral.com then make your decision. Look up the CZ/Brno section as well as the Tikka T1X. You will find between these 2 rifles the gun you are looking for. They have the best accuracy for the dollar you are spending " $500 "of any of the firearms available today.

Anschutz, Tikka and CZ all hammer forged and lapped barrels. Bergara, hammer forged just not lapped.

Stay away from the Ruger Garbage. They haven't made a decent .22lr rifle in 50 years.

The Bergara B14r is a good rifle in the $1000 area. Check out the bolt lifts, total weights, triggers etc. Above all take your time.

Last edited:
    After seeing my CZ 457 Varmint my buddy ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Stuck a inexpensive Nikon on it and it shot inside 1" at 100 meters at our silhouette range yesterday evening - Pearland Shooting Club south of Houston - using Eley Action bought from Killough when it was on sale for $2.50 per box. I would say Lucky Bastard is a good description on his getting this rifle. Ended up just under 500.00 after his FFL got it to him.

IMG_20200626_212124.jpg

Last edited:
    I second the T1x motion. I put one in a KRG Bravo chassis and it’s ridiculous accurate.

I’m probably going to sell the Bravo chassis though b/c I’m not going to get to shoot in 22lr matches liked I’d hoped.

Do not get ruger RPR 22. Throwing rocks would be better. Get a 1022 or a good slingshot before you buy a RPR

Oh, really? I wish someone had told me this before I bought mine and here I was thinking it shot pretty good comparing it to groups posted here from all different makes of rifles. Now a 10/22 I have no use for as it comes out of the box. However it's easy to turn it into a very nice rifle. All it requires is money.

PS: I'm not getting rid of the RPR.

Thanks guys for all the input my search is on. I was close to moving on one a couple of months ago.....you know how it goes ebbs and flows until finally you grab 1. Thought I had a RPR in my hands, but local disappeared on me. If any of you guys are central FL with something let me know please maybe we can work something out face to face. I like all 3 here Ruger, Tikka and CZ really appreciate the discussion.

Last edited:
    guys shooting a tikka at our NRL22 yesterday and i was impressed...they were shooting CCI green tag.

After seeing my CZ 457 Varmint my buddy ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Stuck a inexpensive Nikon on it and it shot inside 1" at 100 meters at our silhouette range yesterday evening - Pearland Shooting Club south of Houston - using Eley Action bought from Killough when it was on sale for $2.50 per box. I would say Lucky Bastard is a good description on his getting this rifle. Ended up just under 500.00 after his FFL got it to him.

View attachment 7360905

Nice looking stock, if it shoots as good as it looks your in business !

Reactions: lr123 and Merlin O

View attachment 7360905

That’s one good looking piece of wood.

I put my nephew into a Ruger Precision Rimfire just after they came out. I know a couple guys who were involved in its development (the rifle is manufactured not too far from me) and they spoke highly of it.

It's ok, and no more than ok. The things are just too inconsistent.

I have a CZ-455 in an MDT chassis with which I competed for a year or so before going Vudoo. The 455 is more consistent than the RPRf, and a used one sounds to be a good match to the OP's intent. On the new side of CZ, I spoke with a guy at the range a couple weeks ago who had one of the new CZ-457 MTRs which was printing some amazing groups.

The only experience I have with the Tikka T1X is through a guy I know who bought one and found it to be nicely accurate but prone to excessive fouling followed by accuracy degradation. This sounds like an ammo problem to me, be he swore the problem occurred with different brands. Tat just sounds weird. I've had two Tikka centerfire rifles and they were both as slick and accurate as anyone could ask.

Bottom line: The OP might find a used or leftover new CZ-455 "Tacticool" to be a good match. CZ-457 or Tikka T1X new. No RPRf. Ruger just kinda dropped the ball with execution of what was a promising rifle. I have no doubt some owners have the unicorn variant which performs very well, but far too many of them just don't deliver.

Oh, really? I wish someone had told me this before I bought mine and here I was thinking it shot pretty good comparing it to groups posted here from all different makes of rifles. Now a 10/22 I have no use for as it comes out of the box. However it's easy to turn it into a very nice rifle. All it requires is money.

PS: I'm not getting rid of the RPR.
    Live and learn.. Money will buy accuracy . If you get a RPR be ready to spend money. It the nature of the beast

T1X, I had always wanted to get into a Tikka for center-fire for hunting, but never pulled the trigger and moved down the AR platform for my hunting needs rather than bolt guns. I got the T1X knowing that and it did not disappoint. It only took a seat on the shelf because I got on the Vudoo train, but it is still in the safe. When/if I move away from the AR platform for hunting, I will look hard at the Tikka offerings because of my experience with the T1X.

T1X, I had always wanted to get into a Tikka for center-fire for hunting, but never pulled the trigger and moved down the AR platform for my hunting needs rather than bolt guns. I got the T1X knowing that and it did not disappoint. It only took a seat on the shelf because I got on the Vudoo train, but it is still in the safe. When/if I move away from the AR platform for hunting, I will look hard at the Tikka offerings because of my experience with the T1X.
    Let us know if your Tikka shoots better than your Vudoo

That's why the Tikka is in the safe.. :) Out to 50 yards, I'd say they are pretty comparable with better ammo, the further out you go the more variance that "good" ammo seems to show, but that is purely anecdotal and I have no actual data to back up that claim.

Original Poster was looking for something with a threaded barrel that was affordable and a good shooter. A Vudoo is not affordable.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ZG47A
    For a threaded plinker, I have a Savage FVSR, Ruger RPR, and 10/22. I'd recommend any of those as they come out of the box. Accuracy is "good enough" and they've been mostly reliable. I've never had an issue with my Savage but I've heard of others having extraction/ejection issues. My RPR got all gunked up and had extraction issues after being used as a donor rifle and running 1000 rounds in a day without cleaning, but Ruger took care of it without hassle. The 10/22 has been around forever, so you can google more than you've ever wanted to know about those.

Reactions: Alabusa
    For a threaded plinker, I have a Savage FVSR, Ruger RPR, and 10/22. I'd recommend any of those as they come out of the box. Accuracy is "good enough" and they've been mostly reliable. I've never had an issue with my Savage but I've heard of others having extraction/ejection issues. My RPR got all gunked up and had extraction issues after being used as a donor rifle and running 1000 rounds in a day without cleaning, but Ruger took care of it without hassle. The 10/22 has been around forever, so you can google more than you've ever wanted to know about those.

I have a Savage FV-SR and it developed extraction problems. Making sure it was spotlessly clean made no difference. I called Savage, explained my problem, and asked if I could purchase another extractor spring. They sent me one at no charge. I installed it over the original spring and the rifle has extracted flawlessly every since.

A Vudoo is not affordable.
    Do you realize what a strange statement you made there?

$3000 is nothing in this hobby... but will last you a lifetime. Your RRPR will not, ask me how I know...l had one😉
    One day you will come to the conclusion too that quality has its price and l hope for you that’s sooner than later

Reactions: nesikabay
    Do you realize what a strange statement you made there?

$3000 is nothing in this hobby... but will last you a lifetime. Your RRPR will not, ask me how I know...l had one😉
    One day you will come to the conclusion too that quality has its price and l hope for you that’s sooner than later

Might be nothing in this hobby, but it's a whole hell of a lot for some of us mortals, and quite simply out of reach.

Guys I'd like to pick up a 22LR and preferably something with a threaded barrel so I can form 1 it. I don't want or need a fancy overly expensive setup and will definitely not be consternating over calipers/paper. Just a fun plinker steel. I run a RPR 6.5 and at 18 months love it even more than when I bought it....it just works. Thanks for any suggestions. Not interested in piecing something out was actually considering the Ruger Rimfire, but happy to hear any other thoughts. Thanks all

For some reason we have lost track of what the original poster was looking for.

Reactions: Merlin O
    What's "overly expensive" to you, give us a number, because even within the constraints of Ruger rimfire and clones the budget is $350-$1600.

For some reason we have lost track of what the original poster was looking for.
    The reason is that You stated "a Vudoo is not affordble" . The OP did not state such a thing.

A year ago I was in the "same boat" then the OP, I love my RPR 6.5 and was adding a RRPR for practice.
    Big mistake because expertations were to high from my side, the rifle is a POS compared to the big brother.
    I'd suggest a b14r, you will be very happy with it and it feels like a real rifle and not a toy that needs tinkering with all the time and may turn into the same price range when you're done.
    If you just want a "plinking" 22lr rifle and shot wally ammo then of course a RRPR will do and can be lots of fun.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nesikabay
    The OP did not state a price range. from what was posted he does not want to spend to much money. He wants the most for the money he spends. So IN MY OPION 5 to 7 hundered bucks TX1 or a 457. Or a 455 that has been upgraded. I see a lot of shooters say a Vudoo is over price or above cost. It may be for some but with a Vudoo you get a gun that will perform and shoot better than some shooters. I have been down the road of getting rifles that cost less. Thats all i could spend at the time. But in the end they cost more. A poor shooting 22 will cost more in the end. Why time and money and ammo trying to make it shoot. BUT WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT GET A RPR. i know them i have rebuilt several of them. The barrel is only the start they have a bolt and firing pin problem that is hard to fix. The firing pin and spring is a BITCH

CZ 457 Varmint. I snagged mine for $450 and topped it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 FFP. This is jt playing at 50 yards. Not my best but just getting broken in/used to it.

Attachments

• C4E89282-82AA-4ACE-83CA-F677F9AB8865.jpeg
      C4E89282-82AA-4ACE-83CA-F677F9AB8865.jpeg
      354.1 KB · Views: 84
    Reactions: stilesg57
    CZ 455 tacticool, I built one for a guy that worked for me a few years back. The barrel is already threaded. If you don’t like the stock you could sell it and put the money towards a chassis. Add a YO Dave trigger kit, a DIP scope rail and you’re in business.
    It Likes CCI Standard velocity but shoots lights out with RWS R50. Lot tested of course.

CZ 457 Varmint. I snagged mine for $450 and topped it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 FFP. This is jt playing at 50 yards. Not my best but just getting broken in/used to it.
    I'm really liking that ProVarmint you stole that whew! I can get one in my hands for $570 out the door.....thinking hard on it.

I vote Savage Fvsr for the op based on what he asked.

Served me well for years and now the kids love shooting it. Boyd’s stock, bedded and reinforced with aluminum c channel your good to go. Then after a while buy a vudoo 👍

nice choice if that is what you want there are a lot of good choices that don't have huge prices attached to them if that's your bag if not there are a lot of really expensive 22's almost every brand makes em and most are really nice good luck with yours hope its as much fun to shoot as you want it to be .

Looks like it shoots like a Ruger RPR. Sorry you got a fuck up gun but it happens

You mentioned a form 1. Why not do a takedown 10/22, ruger has an integral suppressed barrel already, skip the sbr route.