• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22lr Tactical build?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I have done .308 build now i want a .22lr build. I will be doing this on budget. What rifles would i need to look into first. I would like upgrade to Boyd tactkool stock on whatever i get. So i would wont to make sure it fit in that stock.

Re: .22lr Tactical build?

Well, since you're running a B&C medalist stock on your main rifle, the tacti-cool stock wont feel close at all.

THE biggest issue i ran into when I did my search for a rimfire trainer, was actions size, and stock size.

Which is why I went with a 77/22, and i'm waiting for cpt kirk to put together a list for a 77/22 A5 stock.

Almost every rimfire, aside from the 40xb, and 77/22 models, are much smaller, and I feel that action size is a key player in authentic training.

Well these fit the stock:
CZ452
Marlin 917, 800, 900
Remington 597
Ruger 10/22
Savage MKII, 93

Not sure if it fits others. What are you looking for? A Bolt? Semi-Auto? I mean the 10/22's have a much better market for stocks. You can find a better stock then the Tacticool if you go that way. Since you have the B&C on your main rifle I would go the 10/22 or the 77/22 and get a stock that matches your B&C like Alderleet was pointing out. It's also a better platform for a .22 build.

+1 on the cz 452 and check out the cz 453. both great out of the box and not all that expensive. They also come with pretty nice wood stocks so unless you were really set on the boyd tacticool stock, you could save yourself some money there.

My ideal trainer would be a Leopard AICS style stock for my Remington 541T. The run shoots fantastic with several brands of ammo and I use AICS on most of my rifles.
Building a trainer on a 10/22 doesn't add up IMHO. If you are training to shoot your bolt rifle better you should use a bolt gun trainer with similar characteristics. If you were doing a trainer for an AR platform then something like the M&P15-22LR makes the most sense.

I know a "budget" is relative, but if you can save a get a good trainer go for it. If you actually use the trainer to train it will save money in the long run. I went the Sako Quad way and I will not look back. These little rifles are awesome and really accurate.

Trainer and main rifle:

bignlittle.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My ideal trainer would be a Leopard AICS style stock for my Remington 541T. The run shoots fantastic with several brands of ammo and I use AICS on most of my rifles. </div></div>

Several members seem to have adapted Airsoft AICS style stocks for .22 trainers.

I didn't read anywhere in this thread that he wants a trainer to match his centerfire. I love my Savage MKII but I still want a CZ 452...

just a thought...

I need to ask my buddy about this one. It sat at my house for a while, I know it started life out as a 10/22

242iyvn.jpg

My CZ 452 in the Tacticool stock feels very similar to a friends 308 in an A5. On a budget close is about as good as it gets. My centerfire should be finished by late April and it will have an A2 again similar feel that will have to be close enough. I would love to have a 40x in an A5 stock but it just isn't going to happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't read anywhere in this thread that he wants a trainer to match his centerfire. I love my Savage MKII but I still want a CZ 452...

just a thought... </div></div>

Well, maybe my thought is that a trainer <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> match as closely as possible to your "real stick". After all the idea is to use the trainer with cheap ammo to train to use the "real" one better. But I guess it could just be used as an excuse to do another build.
wink.gif

+1 for CZ. Either 452 or 455 are very accurate rifles and absolutely a blast shoot.

I've gotten to the point that i've decided that shooting a .22, no matter how configured, is not an alternative to train up for a centerfire. You just can't get the same value of training shooting a rimfire. The .22 won't give you the same 'feel' under recoil. A bad position with a rimfire won't pronounce itself as well as it will with a centerfire.

Now before you flame away, trigger time is valuable..period. What i'm suggesting is that a few thousand rounds of rimfire ammo before a match is not going to make you more prepared for said match.

I do have a "tactical rimfire" rifle, however it's just another rifle that I shoot, not to have a cheaper alternative to the .308, but because it's just a lot of fun to go out and shoot the .22. It's also a lot easier to push the limits of the .22 to the extreme. It doesn't take long to walk 300 yards to check the target. I don't walk to check my 1200 yard .308 targets, I drive, and if I can't drive I don't shoot that far. Finding 300 yards, or even 200 of open group is significantly easier than finding a mile where it's very safe to shoot.

Now, to the OP, try several rifles out, but first establish your budget. Find out how much money you want to spend total, figure a good rimfire rifle in the 'average' budget is likely around $300, figure the same or a little more for a scope, and you're right around the middle. If you're budget is tighter, then it's tighter, but you have to start there. If you have no budget, and a lot of money to spend, god help you.

Branden

Dust_Remover... curious, what does recoil have to do with anything? If you are training your muscles into a smooth follow through then recoil is a non-factor as it comes into play after the shot.

Further, bad position is amplified with a .22 because it takes less influence to create a poor shot.

Not flaming and I hate to screw this guys thread, but I'm curious as to how you reach your conclusions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotten to the point that i've decided that shooting a .22, no matter how configured, is no cheaper alternative to train up for a centerfire.</div></div>

Branden,

What do you mean? Not cheaper to build or not cheaper to run?

With Wolf Match I spend about $50/500, the cheapest I can reload is $0.35 per round not including brass so I am looking at $175/500. So that's cheaper ammo wise.

Building the Quad it was still cheaper than my GAP .308 by about 2/3rds so that's cheaper.

I would agree that if you want to get "better" with a .308 there is not "better" option than shooting a .308 a lot. If you want to work an fundamentals like breathing, trigger pull, sight picture, and shooting position a .22 is a great way to do it and more friendly than a .308.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that rimfire "trainers" do have their purpose as a training device and can be cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotten to the point that i've decided that shooting a .22, no matter how configured, is no cheaper alternative to train up for a centerfire.</div></div>

Branden,

What do you mean? Not cheaper to build or not cheaper to run?

With Wolf Match I spend about $50/500, the cheapest I can reload is $0.35 per round not including brass so I am looking at $175/500. So that's cheaper ammo wise.

Building the Quad it was still cheaper than my GAP .308 by about 2/3rds so that's cheaper.

I would agree that if you want to get "better" with a .308 there is not "better" option than shooting a .308 a lot. If you want to work an fundamentals like breathing, trigger pull, sight picture, and shooting position a .22 is a great way to do it and more friendly than a .308.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that rimfire "trainers" do have their purpose as a training device and can be cheaper. </div></div>

I need to rewrite that portion, it does sound like i'm saying it's just as expensive. I'm saying that shooting a rimfire is not a replacement for shooting centerfire, sure, the fundamentals are the same, but the training value is not. Recoil is part of the shooting process, it's a factor that must be accomodated for, the way you handle it, or react to it is crucial. Recoil will also effect your follow through. Follow through is a piece of cake with a rimfire, there's no recoil or blast to startle you. Every process associated with shooting is something that's a essential part of accounting for while shooting. Again, i'm not saying that shooting a rimfire is pointless, i'm stating that assuming, or believing, that shooting a rimfire is a adequate REPLACEMENT for centerfire shooting is a silly thing to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dust_Remover... curious, what does recoil have to do with anything? If you are training your muscles into a smooth follow through then recoil is a non-factor as it comes into play after the shot.

Further, bad position is amplified with a .22 because it takes less influence to create a poor shot.

Not flaming and I hate to screw this guys thread, but I'm curious as to how you reach your conclusions. </div></div>

Bad position is bad position, bad position with a rimfire can be hidden if you are shooting average, or really cheap (bulk) ammo. That poor position won't jump out at you because the crosshairs and rifle aren't moving enough, to point out bad position, during recoil. Centerfire rifles will recoil and jump off target with a poor position (while prone, or bench).

I'm limited in my time to write a really well thought out response right now. I can rewrite my responses 10 times and there's a possibility that each person will interpret a different way each time, I just lack the elequence to type is the best way once.

I'm saying this as my personal experience on the matter. There are times of the year that I shoot a lot more rimfire just because I have the oppotunity to shoot a lot more, and don't have the unlimited funds to shoot solely .308, but I don't go out and approach it as though i'm preparing myself for the .308 in any way.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a "budget" is relative, but if you can save a get a good trainer go for it. If you actually use the trainer to train it will save money in the long run. I went the Sako Quad way and I will not look back. These little rifles are awesome and really accurate.

Trainer and main rifle:

bignlittle.JPG
</div></div>

specs on .22?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, maybe my thought is that a trainer <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> match as closely as possible to your "real stick". After all the idea is to use the trainer with cheap ammo to train to use the "real" one better. But I guess it could just be used as an excuse to do another build.
wink.gif
</div></div>
That's fine and your purpose is spot on but that doesn't mean the OP necessairily wants a trainer like i mentioned earlier. He could very well want one but hadn't eluded to that before I posted my first post in this thread. Therefore we don't know if the OP wants an actual trainer or something super far from that like an AR-15 converted to 22LR (just for example; I know he stated he wants a bolt gun). Hopefully I clarified my point
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some rifles to look into.

Ruger 77/22
Spendy $600 but accurate...poor aftermarket support for stocks which is its one weakness. Can use 10/22 mags whether hi-cap or standard.</div></div>

The Ruger 77/22 uses its own proprietary 10-shot rotary magazines which are shaped differently than the Ruger 10/22 versions.