• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

24” AR15 in 223 with a lot of recoil for a 223 - WTF?

By me adjusting the gas block to reduce the amount of gas that can go through it, wouldn’t that slow the action down? This is kind of what it seems like - feels like the buffer is just slamming to the back of the buffer tube. Which makes me actually question the spring more than anything. Maybe I got a defective one that’s too soft?

I’ll order another rifle length one from another company. I did build this during covid so it’s possible quality of stuff wash junk and I got a bad one?

I wish there was a device that I could put between my shoulder and the stock to measure the recoil impulse so I could do a direct comparison between several rifles and show the data. That way I can make adjustments and compare it all.
Take a picture of the inside of the lower at the receiver extension threads. Take a picture of all of your buffer parts. Post the pictures.

Don't start throwing parts at it.

What you could try is change the lower from another AR with that upper in question and check recoil/function?

I use lots of lite weight parts down to 8.5" barrels (depending on cartridge) that DON'T have harsh recoil.

Try the upper lower change. That'll eliminate the lower.

Reactions: NSKYLINE34
By me adjusting the gas block to reduce the amount of gas that can go through it, wouldn’t that slow the action down? This is kind of what it seems like - feels like the buffer is just slamming to the back of the buffer tube. Which makes me actually question the spring more than anything. Maybe I got a defective one that’s too soft?

I’ll order another rifle length one from another company. I did build this during covid so it’s possible quality of stuff wash junk and I got a bad one?

I wish there was a device that I could put between my shoulder and the stock to measure the recoil impulse so I could do a direct comparison between several rifles and show the data. That way I can make adjustments and compare it all.

Adjusting the block won't have the effect you are seeking if the spring/buffer are off.

Can you hear the buffer bottom out in the receiver extension when you fire it? Anything like that?

How does the brass look that comes out of the gun?

Adjusting the block won't have the effect you are seeking if the spring/buffer are off.

Can you hear the buffer bottom out in the receiver extension when you fire it? Anything like that?

How does the brass look that comes out of the gun?
Definitely can hear it bottom out.

Base of the brass looks fine (doesn’t look like any over pressuring) but the top of the brass has a slight flat spot at the very top instead of being round.

Reactions: mettee
Definitely can hear it bottom out.

Base of the brass looks fine (doesn’t look like any over pressuring) but the top of the brass has a slight flat spot at the very top instead of being round.

If it's bottoming out that's still either way too much gas or your spring is weak af.

Reactions: ELCO82
It's against the laws of physics!...a 223? Mind control to Earth...
I shoot ARs 24 in barrels in Valkyrie, 308, & 6.5 CM, my longest AR 223 barrel is 20."
I even have a rifle length gas on a 16.5" barrel with a .122" dia port & ultra light bolt carrier for special purpose.
None are remotely considered hard kicking...IMO.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Just got home and for fun I grabbed that Faxon AR, and the 24” AR and out suitcase scale (basically a fish scale) and put it on the charging handle. The 24” AR was about 11-12lb of pressure to hold the charging handle all the way back while the Faxon took about 15-16lb. The spring when just running the charging handle absolutely feels weaker.

Makes me wonder if the spring in the problem-child is a little on the light side? Also when pulling the charging handle I definitely didn’t feel anything abnormal - everything felt nice and smooth just as I would expect it too

Last edited:
Reactions: mtrmn and mettee
It's against the laws of physics!...a 223? Mind control to Earth...
I shoot ARs 24 in barrels in Valkyrie, 308, & 6.5 CM, my longest AR 223 barrel is 20."
I even have a rifle length gas on a 16.5" barrel with a .122" dia port & ultra light bolt carrier for special purpose.
None are remotely considered hard kicking...IMO.
Never said it had a lot of recoil, I’m saying it feels like it has a lot of recoil FOR A 223. Compared to my 300 WM or 50BMG it’s a BB gun. Compared to my other 223’s it feels like a lot more sauce than it should. But I think I may have just found out it’s the buffer spring… time will tell next time I go shooting I’m going to swap lowers and see how things run…

That'll actually feel like heavier recoil since none of the energy is spent by the unlocking and movement of the bolt. It'll feel like a bolt gun.
This is not correct. Restricting the gas in an AR will soften recoil and help keep the rifle flat for follow-up shots.

Just ordered another Anderson Arms A2 rifle spring and I ordered a Griffin Armament +15% A2 spring too just in case and so I can test and compare. Only $20 for all of it so worst case I’ll have some spares for the future. But it’ll be good to rule out some things.

Now that I think of it, I’ll have to get some videos of shooting this 24” AR and some other rifles for comparison.
I wouldn’t rely on the Anderson spring to be worth a fuk. For a rifle length gas, the most common set up is a rifle length spring and rifle length H2 buffer.

What gas block are you running?
Have you ever shot a gas gun off of a bipod before?
Have you tried shooting the rifle off of a bag?

Reactions: ELCO82
It was mentioned that the rifle is too heavy for off hand shooting, so just shoot standing with a bag and a barricade.

This is not correct. Restricting the gas in an AR will soften recoil and help keep the rifle flat for follow-up shots.
I'm reading recoil as the effect of the bullet and gasses leaving the muzzle not from the effects of the bolt carrier slapping around.

I'm reading recoil as the effect of the bullet and gasses leaving the muzzle not from the effects of the bolt carrier slapping around.

From experience, turning off the gas doesn't increase recoil. The AR-15 is a locked breach firearm, it doesn't unlock until after the first recoil impulse.

I wouldn’t rely on the Anderson spring to be worth a fuk. For a rifle length gas, the most common set up is a rifle length spring and rifle length H2 buffer.

What gas block are you running?
Have you ever shot a gas gun off of a bipod before?
Have you tried shooting the rifle off of a bag?
Yea I have a couple armalite AR10’s. I don’t think I’ve shot a 223 gas gun from a bipod before though.

Gas block is also a JP, it basically is a screw that you adjust, NOT one of those 3 position ones so you can really fine tune it.

Kinda wonder if that spring is part of my issue being that it’s so much softer?

Reactions: mettee
Yea I have a couple armalite AR10’s. I don’t think I’ve shot a 223 gas gun from a bipod before though.

Gas block is also a JP, it basically is a screw that you adjust, NOT one of those 3 position ones so you can really fine tune it.

Make a video of your rifle under recoil and post it.

Install the Griffin spring, Close the GB and open it one click at a time until the bolt cycles completely. The casing should eject between the 1500 & 1700 position. Also cheap bipods can make a rifle feel harder then it is, I wouldn’t use anything less then a Harris.

Good to know about the H3 buffer.

My JP brake doesn’t have any holes on top? Just the sides only? Im pretty sure that’s actually where the logo is, is on the top?
I would double check with JP, but I think the logo should be on the bottom with that muzzle brake.

all very interesting. i was shooting my ar 15 223 ,I was thinking it jumps more than I would think it should . i then switched to my UPR in 223 ,recoil was like a BB gun

The jp brake I have has 4 holes on top, but only has 2 ports on each side and the jp logo is on the bottom. The 3 port I haven't seen.

Where are your cases going when ejected. Before you start swapping parts take note of the ejection pattern. If it's landing in the 3:00-4:00 O'clock zone it could be the perceived recoil or, as others have implied, the design of the butt stock.

Reactions: misser