• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 Ackley

yotefvr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
North Dakota
Hi Guys. I am from ND and this is my first post on here but have been reading for some time. There seem to be some very knowledgeable people on here and looking forward to getting some insight from you guys. I have a .243 AI built on a trued remingtom action with a 1:10 26 inch Brux barrel has a beddeded HS stock and NF 20moa bases and a NXS 5.5x22. I built it with the intention of shooting the 95gr berger VLD but I can't for the life of me get them to shoot. I have shot several other weights and settled on sub moa load with 95gr SST's but not pushing them very hard which kind of defeats the purpose of the Ackley. I am wondering if anyone would have any ideas of a load to give a shot in this gun. I am open to lighter bullets for sure. I hunt Alot of coyotes and do tournaments hence the reason for building somewhat of a heavy hitter since we can't keep the fur's in tournaments. Any input is appreciated Thanks.
P.S sory for the winded post...

Re: .243 Ackley

I only have experience with the standard 243 and heaver bullets. I shot 105, 107 and 115's. I have done my builds with 7.5 and 8 twists. They both shot very well. You probably need to elaborate on loads, jump to lands etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">R17...should be around 44-46...but work up to it. </div></div>

This, if you need the extra speed to get the 10tw to stabilize the 95 vld's.

Here are a few loads I tested and none of them seemed to shoot under MOA at 100 using bags. (I am not a vice guy). The load I am shooting is 95gr SST seated to just touching pushed by H4831 at 43.8gr. Will shoot 5 shot ragged hole at 100.

I also tried the following loads. All loads were tried by 10 into lands then backed out .002 until touching then backed out by .002 till .010 off lands.

87gr VMax with IMR4350 @ 44 to 48 jumping .5gr at a time.
95gr VLD with H414 at 44 to 48 jumping .5gr at a time.
H4831SC at 45 to 48 jumping .5gr at a time.
90gr Precision Ballistics and 90gr Scenar with RL19 46 to 49 jumping .5gr at a time.

I also tried some other Precision Ballistics bullets in wts 74gr, 80gr, 88gr, 90gr and 95gr.

I have just stuck to the SST Because it shot the best but I am ready to try something else if I can get them to shoot. If not maybe I will rebarrel it to a 6x47 lapua. Thanks again guys for your input I respect and appreciate it.

Couple things to consider...the Hornady 95 gr SST is a flat base bullet. Some rifles don't shoot boat tail bullets well OR they're very picky on seating depth. I've had this issue and I've seen other folks experience it as well. It's usually worse in smaller cal stuff.

I shoot the 95 gr SMK from a factory 243 Win Rem 700 which is 1 in 9.125 twist. It shoots the best from that rifle being load for mag length feeding and very mild with 40.5 gr of H4350. Not hot at all. It's jumping approx .065. Try jumping your VLD. You may get surprised. I was going to try the SST, but then I found the sweet spot for the SMK....which I should've remembered due to using other SMKs. They like to jump.

I know there's a lot of info about VLDs not jumping well, but you never know until you try. They have their recommended jumping increments posted on their website. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

My 243 AI is an old ruger with tang saftey, Mcmillian stock and a 1:10 twist 26 inch new barrel (gun smith didn't tell me who made the barrel).

It liked the 70gr Nosler BT with 49gr H414, 15mil off lands. .5MOA typical.

Have also shot 80gr Nosler with 49gr H414, but that is a hot load. 3/4MOA typical, but don't really like to shoot this load that much.

boltgunluvr and mgoodrich I will give these things a try this weekend. I never thought to try to jump the VLD's that far but your right i am not out anything I have a bunch of these bullets laying around LOL. I really appreciate the info guys.