• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .243 ammo for deer?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I just bought my nephew a .243 for his 13th birthday. Its a Thompson center encore. What would be the ammo for deerhunting.I hunt with .308 and .270 and use Barnes TSX or TTSX.I reload for mine, but wanted to start off with off the shelf ammunition,and I aint had alot of experience with .243. We hunt in KY and TN mainly. Your info would appreciated!!

Re: .243 ammo for deer?

Anything that runs the 85 grain TSX.....

I hand load that bullet for two 6mm bores here, we've put a lot of meat in the freezer with it.

Does federal carry that load factory. I aint for sure but I believe i have seen it on the shelf somewhere.

If it weren't for the 85-gr TSX and the 100-gr Nosler Partition, I'd probably have picked a (slightly) larger caliber for Tennessee whitetails.

Them there Tennessee whitetails must be harder to kill then what we have here in KS!

That will be a great combo for a deer rifle!

I would recommend the hornady sst....I think they made factory loads featuring them.

My vote goes to the SST. 90-100 grns. Thats what we use in wife's 243 and my 257 Roberts. Hasn't failed yet. Deer and antilope arn't very tough. If they will work on Western Muleys they'll work on Eastern White Tail.

I've run some of the Hornady Superformance 95GR SST in the .243. They shot about 1.25" at 100y, but out at 500y they where all over the place. This was with a Win. m70 coyote lite with a 10 twist barrel. I've found that with the 10 twist it like the 75gr - 87gr pills best so far in my reloading for it.

I killed 6 deer in a row in six shots with cheap Walmart Federal 100 grn power point. The deer don't know it's cheap.

All were at 100-200 yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've run some of the Hornady Superformance 95GR SST in the .243. They shot about 1.25" at 100y, but out at 500y they where all over the place. This was with a Win. m70 coyote lite with a 10 twist barrel. I've found that with the 10 twist it like the 75gr - 87gr pills best so far in my reloading for it. </div></div>

My 10 twist's doesn't like 95's or heavier. 75g to 90g work great and kill deer dead. You'll want a 9 twist for 95-100g 8 twist for heavier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything that runs the 85 grain TSX.....

I hand load that bullet for two 6mm bores here, we've put a lot of meat in the freezer with it. </div></div>

^^This, the 85grn TSX has been a very good performer, good accuracy & even better performance.

I would be more worried of KY deer than TN deer. The deer in Eastern TN are pretty small. My 8 point last year field dressed at 115 pounds. Not very big bodied deer, KY on the other hand are pretty much double in size.

Federal Premium loads the 100 grain partition and the 85 grain Barnes. Either will kill every deer you hit in the vitals. I've killed plenty with the .243, great youth caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kejones1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be more worried of KY deer than TN deer. The deer in Eastern TN are pretty small. My 8 point last year field dressed at 115 pounds. Not very big bodied deer, KY on the other hand are pretty much double in size. </div></div>

A stones throw from eastern TN, for arguments sake....208Amax, but that's besides the point.

HPIM2682.jpg

Don't worry, we let the kids kill them little dinks over here too. <grins>

HPIM2875.jpg

I load 95 gr Nosler BTips for my kids' .243. It does the job very well. I think they are available loaded from several companies....Federal I am sure.

Thats how deer our in southeast Ky in Harlan county just and Hour and half from where I hunt in TN. Deer look like what you killed in harlan and most look like the small deer here. I have alson hunted in Lee Co VA. I dont know why deer are small in Hawkins CO. TN.

Barnes Vor-TX 80 Grain Tipped TXS. No bullet made by anybody will penetrate better than the Barnes and their loaded ammo is as good as most hand loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've run some of the Hornady Superformance 95GR SST in the .243. They shot about 1.25" at 100y, but out at 500y they where all over the place. This was with a Win. m70 coyote lite with a 10 twist barrel. I've found that with the 10 twist it like the 75gr - 87gr pills best so far in my reloading for it. </div></div>

My 10 twist's doesn't like 95's or heavier. 75g to 90g work great and kill deer dead. You'll want a 9 twist for 95-100g 8 twist for heavier. </div></div>

What? My 10 twist loves the 100 gr...Mine's a Rem 788...

Shoots .5 to .75 at 100, all I can ask...

My brother in law used 95-100 grain bullets, to great effect, in Pennsylvania. I can't use rifle in Indiana unless it is in a handgun configuration.

IMHO you should have gave him a 270 or 308. We've always referred to the .243 as ther .243 Woundmaster.
A 250 Savage is MUCH better.
Just my $0.02.

I agree if the shot placement aint right then this buy could turn into a problem. I am not going to let him go out without being able to shoot. Shot placement is where its at!! If he cant shoot worth a shit then we will go a different route. I just didnt wont to get him something that he might develop a flinch. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Relentless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO you should have gave him a 270 or 308. We've always referred to the .243 as ther .243 Woundmaster.
Just my $0.02. </div></div>

And that's about all THAT is worth........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kejones1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree if the shot placement aint right then this buy could turn into a problem. I am not going to let him go out without being able to shoot. Shot placement is where its at!! If he cant shoot worth a shit then we will go a different route. I just didnt wont to get him something that he might develop a flinch. Thanks </div></div>

Ain't advocating bad shot placement, but my 8 year old little girl's first ever deer showed me something. At 255 yards it went in the ham smashed the hip socket and went out the opposite shoulder, trainwrecking everything in between. That doe turned a six foot circle and went in a pile. Not the shot I lined her up on but it was the shot she just went on and took. The 85 grain TSX WILL get to anywhere you need it to on a whitetail.

I've got too many success stories with that bore/bullet to have any smoke blown up my ass.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Relentless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO you should have gave him a 270 or 308. We've always referred to the .243 as ther .243 Woundmaster.

If somebody can't properly kill shit with a .243 maybe hunting aint for them?

I used a 243 for Missouri whitetail from when I was 9 until I was 21 (then I moved). Most of the time I did not reload so I used factory stuff. I have used federal, winchester, and remington 100gr softpoints, and I have never had to shoot a deer twice, and always got exits. Just make sure he can hit the vitals and you will be fine (but the deer won't be, it will be dead).

My now deceased Great Auntie killed countless (hundreds maybe?) Montana elk with her .243 well into her 80's. She switched to .243 when 25-35 ammo started getting scarce

Hornaday
243 Win 95 gr SST or
243 Win 100 gr InterLock BTSP

I find that all my hunting rifles group the best with Hornaday ammo. I believe its one of the best off the shelf.

Any cheap bullet will kill deer. I've killed almost 30 with my 243 BAR and very have ever gone more than 15 yards. All of them were shot with $10/box 100 grain SP from walmart. Whatever they happened to have that day. Killed several big pigs with the same loads. Most of the decent factory ammo will do less than 2 moa out of factory rifle and most will do much better. By whatever walmart has and see which groups best. Use the rest for practice. Not shooting off the bench at the range but real field position practice. That is the most important part.

Used Remington coreloct's for years with good results, only time one ran it was due to poor shot placement, and this was out of a short barreled Mowhawk 600.

Well... I ain't shot many deer with the .243. But, my kinfolkfriends in Alabama have. They reload with a hollow point 60 grain bullet. One shot, one deer. For several thousands of animals over the last 30 years. (They own and hunt a couple of thousand acres of bottom land on the Alabama river.) Biggest, (and huge for Alabama) was a 225 lb buck. One shot. One deer. JMHO

.243 is plenty. It can take down deer or even elk. I do not know if you are buy store ammo or reloading but I would stay away from ballistic tips... everyone has their opinions, everyone has their success stories and their stories of mishap. Just get your nephew used to the weapon and have him practice at ranges further than he will have to shoot that way he will be confident. Good luck and post a pic after the successful hunt! Thanks for taking the time to get youth involved, too many people just don't take the time.

I've taken deer at 3 deer and 2 antelope 400+ yds with 75gr Vmax bullets all with one shot kills, 3 dropped in their tracks and the rest ran less than 50 yds... and I've taken them at 75 yds with 100 gr El Cheapo factory stuff, some drop where they stand, some run 100 yds or more. Deer where we live are BIG bodied and can be a bitch to bring down no matter what you shoot them with.

The 243 WILL kill any deer in North America as long as you know where your bullet is going to land. The adrenalin the deer has pumping through his pipes will determine if he runs and if so, how far. Even the big guns and the big heavy hitting bullets are no guarantee that it will fall dead in his tracks.

TSX, VLD, AMAX, Soft Point, Hollow Point, Boat Tail, Flat tail, Round Nose, yada yada yada. Know the ballistics of you're load, find what the energy delivery is at a given distance and stick within the range that you can make a successful shot in the kill zone.

That's about all it boils down too.

The Winchester Supreme Silvertips in a .243 will put deer down. I have seen some big deer killed with them.

My son and nephew used a 243 last year on two mule deer. One used 95grn HSM rounds loaded with Bergers and the other one used 100grn coreloks. The berger dropped the buck at 325yds with a spine shot. They were both proned out with rear bags and shot when the bucks were stopped. The other buck was shot at 340yds and it was slightly back but quartered thu him and lodged under the cape on the other side. Both buck DRT. Not bad for two 12yr olds first hunt and two bucks at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Relentless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO you should have gave him a 270 or 308. We've always referred to the .243 as ther .243 Woundmaster.

And that's about all THAT is worth........</div></div>
X2

My dad uses a .243. The Remington Core Lokt from Wal Mart work great. He won have any problems with them. If you can find a cheaper soft point I would give it a try.......243 is a good whitetail round.

Remington Core-Lokt, they aren't called The Deadliest Mushroom in the Woods for nothing.

100 gr Rem Core Lokt -

When you are done with the casings reload them with 100gr speer - I use em both.