• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 Barrel life question

msting22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Quick question about .243 barrel life.

I'm sure most of you guys are pushing your .243's around 3150fps or better. I'm pushing mine at 2900fps for now. Will i get longer barrel life out of mine if I stay at the 2900fps mark?

If it matters I'm loading with H4350 and shooting a 105 scenar.

Thanks

It's a misconception that bullet velocity is what burns out a barrel. Pressure and heat on the throat are your enemies. Keeping low pressures and using cooler burning powders will extend your throat life.(the lands in the throat burns out much quicker than the lands going down the tube) I was running 115gr DTACs around 2950fps with H1000 from a 28" tube, but I only have a couple hundred down that tube. My other factory savage 243 is at 1500+/- and still shooting great.

Last edited:
It's a misconception that bullet velocity is what burns out a barrel. Pressure and heat on the throat are your enemies. Keeping low pressures and using cooler burning powders will extend your throat life.(the lands in the throat burns out much quicker than the lands going down the tube) I was running 115gr DTACs around 2950fps with H1000 from a 28" tube, but I only have a couple hundred down that tube. My other factory savage 243 is at 1500+/- and still shooting great.

True, but the lower muzzle velocities suggest that chamber pressure and temperature are somewhat lower than average, certainly lower than if the charges (with the same powder) were increased to achieve 3100+ FPS MV.

True, but the lower muzzle velocities suggest that chamber pressure and temperature are somewhat lower than average, certainly lower than if the charges (with the same powder) were increased to achieve 3100+ FPS MV.

Yes and no.... That is not always the case. I was at the range recently with a co-worker who asked to borrow my magnetospeed chrony to test his 6.5 creedmoor loads, one using 142gr SMKs and the other using 140gr berger VLDs. Both loaded with H4350 with the 140gr load being .1gr(yes 1/10th of a grain) hotter(don't remember the exact weight) yet he was seeing 200fps increase in speed with the 140gr VLDs with no pressure signs. Now with damn near the same load, 2grs difference in the bullet, and no pressure signs using the same brass and primers I seriously doubt his throat will erode any faster with that 200fps gain because that gain happens throughout the length of the tube not instantly at the throat. BTW, these velocities were confirmed correct at 600yds by testing the changes in his original dope.

Last edited:
Quick question about .243 barrel life.

I'm sure most of you guys are pushing your .243's around 3150fps or better. I'm pushing mine at 2900fps for now. Will i get longer barrel life out of mine if I stay at the 2900fps mark?

If it matters I'm loading with H4350 and shooting a 105 scenar.

Thanks

IMO all things being equal, you should get more life from your barrel when the projectile is going 2900fps vs 3150fps.

I got 1000 rounds out of mine with the 115's and h4350. Pushed them like 3075 or so. My barrel now 105 berger hybrids and 4831sc at 3150. Hoping for more life on the barrel but who knows!

I seriously doubt his throat will erode any faster with that 200fps gain because that gain happens throughout the length of the tube not instantly at the throat. BTW, these velocities were confirmed correct at 600yds by testing the changes in his original dope.

Disagree.

Muzzle velocity is an artifact of work performed on the bullet inside the barrel. Work is equal to the integral of Pressure * change of volume.

Assuming the same amount of powder and bullet mass (both close enough in your example to consider "the same"), the increased 200fps means there was a significant increase in work done.

Because there was no increase in change of volume (same length barrel, and same bore diameter), the only way increased work could be done was an increase of pressure.

Disagree.

Muzzle velocity is an artifact of work performed on the bullet inside the barrel. Work is equal to the integral of Pressure * change of volume.

Assuming the same amount of powder and bullet mass (both close enough in your example to consider "the same"), the increased 200fps means there was a significant increase in work done.

Because there was no increase in change of volume (same length barrel, and same bore diameter), the only way increased work could be done was an increase of pressure.

I disagree here... An increase in pressure is not the only thing that will increase velocity. In the case I stated above I believe the increased velocity was partly due to less bearing surface of the 140gr VLD between the bullet and barrel compared to the 142gr SMK. This would create less friction, not increasing pressure over the 142gr SMK. Hexagonal boron can have a similar effect and can have lower chamber pressures with slighty increased pet loads and will give similar or higher velocities.

Last edited:
I have right at 2000 rds apiece on two different 243s. 105 hunting vld@3000 in a 26&28" tubes. Another24" 243 is running105 h-vld@3130 and is at 1500ish. All three can still shoot hi to lo .2s off a bipod. The longer barrels use 43.0&43.5 gr h4831sc, while the shorter barrel is using 41.8gr h4350. These are 2 savages and one remage, it takes 15 minutes to change barrels so i don't lose sleep worrying about barrel life.

I think when you make the decision to shoot 243, you do it with the understanding of the limited barrel life. I bought a new 243 rifle last week and realize I won't get the barrel life like my 308 but it's worth the trade off for me.

With thew proper powder and bullet combo, you can get some decent barrel life out of a 243. In one of my match rifles using a Broughton barrel, it went to 2500 + rounds before I stripped the barrel off. It was still shooting, although it lost 50 fps. The load used for that barrel is the one I use today, 115 TUBB DTAcs bn coated using H4350 running at 3K fps. I have also had great results with H1000, but it works best in barrels in 24-26" barrels with the 115s. H1000 is a slower "cooler" running powder, with a longer barrel you can get higher velocities and still get some life out of it

I have seen 243 barrels go at 1200, and have personally had them go to 2500, that's why it is impossible to accurately predict the life of a barrel.

Kirk Roberts

will cold hammer forged barrels have longer life than ss barrels?

if yes, how much more percentage of barrel life?

i had a melonited 243 AI barrel, pushing 115 at 3150fps, burned 4 inches of throat in 800 rds, dont tell me speed doesnt kill barrels. speed is a result of high pressure and heat, al that burning powder going down the throat has an sandblastic effect too. how many rounds you shoot in a row will have ill effects also, in F class you have 20 minutes to fire 20 rds plus sighters, if you are casual and shoot 1-2 round every 15 minutes, your barrel will last a bit longer.
cheers.

It all depends on what your idea of useful life of the barrel is. If you are a F-class shooter, about 1200 rds max. to be able to compete. If you are a mall ninja it will go about 5000 rds. Because all you are doing is shooting clay pigeons at 75 yds and bragging to your friends about how you can take it to 1000 yds if you really want to.

Another thought: what is the point of reducing velocity for the sake of barrel life? It would be like driving Porsche at 45 mph to save gas. You've got a .243 - use it to it's insanely flat shooting potential. There will always be more barrels. When you figure the cost of a barrel per shot, who cares if you squeak out another 300 rounds? (within reason - a 6x284 is just silly, although I'm sure the gunsmiths love them)

Another thought: what is the point of reducing velocity for the sake of barrel life? It would be like driving Porsche at 45 mph to save gas. You've got a .243 - use it to it's insanely flat shooting potential. There will always be more barrels. When you figure the cost of a barrel per shot, who cares if you squeak out another 300 rounds? (within reason - a 6x284 is just silly, although I'm sure the gunsmiths love them)

good point
lol ~~~~

I don't disagree with Damoncali but I don't shoot comps so I don't have the need to push my .243 that hard. Not to mention most of my shooting is 400 yards and closer since I have to drive a pretty good distance for a range that goes past 600. I have a box of Dtacs that I picked up but I been thinking it's a waste to not run them at 3000+ fps

If you don't run it at max speed and pressure life will be better to some extent. Shooting long strings like in fclass will eat a barrel alive. Even 308s lose their competitive edge substantially quicker in fclass. Granted accuracy standards are now very demanding in that arena. That being said, if you want good barrel life and don't plan on running full pressure loads just do a 6br. It will get those moderate 243 speeds with much less powder and awesome barrel life. Our just order 3 243 barrels and enjoy 3100 with a dtac which is awesome btw.

Most of the people constantly asking about "barrel life" will never shoot enough rounds to burn one out anyway.

With h4350, your tube is going to burn up pretty quick. Try some h1000 or retumbo.

Xdeano

And then it doesn't have the velocity. You can put 87 octane in most modern turbo/supercharged cars these days, but it's gonna cost a bunch of power.

ETA: My 6xc pipe was toast after 1600 shots, half of which were @ 3125fps with H4350, the other half @ 2800ish with H1000.

I would try retumbo, you might be suprised on your velocity. Or a happy medium between h1000 and h4350 is h4831sc, which gives good velocity also.
Xdeano