• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 question

yotenemises

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2014
Just got a 243 rem 700 for yotes and have been working on the right round for it , finally ended up with 105 gr moly coated amax over 37 gr h 4350, anyone else use this combo? I am curious about the speed and long range performance, almost put 5 rounds through the same hole at 100 yds, but have yet to take it out to 4-500 yds where all the coyotes seem to be

Attachments

• DSCF0501.JPG
    DSCF0501.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You might look in the sticky section for this load, if you can't find it there someone should chime in. Welcome to the Hide

thanks , a lot of interesting stuff here, looking forward to learning a lot

I've been using the 105 Amax (non moly) out of my older 700 BDL Varmint using 41.0 gr of H4350.

Work up your loads to 41.0 gr. carefully, since it is at or above max book loads. It shoots sub-MOA out to 800 yards; haven't tried any farther yet. Chronoes at 2910 fps in mine.

400 yards is just a chipshot for this combo.

I load the 105gr Amax and the 105 bthp over 47gr of H1000. This produces around 3000 fps and has proven to be a very accurate round out to 1000 yards with 100 yard sub half MOA groups. I found that the slower powder gives you a compressed case with cooler barrel temps during strings of fire. I have also seen loads utilizing Retumbo powder with the 105 gr bullets. These lower barrel temps are said to extend the 243 barrel life being that it is a barrel burner, still testing that theory. (Tested in a Remington 700 1:9 1/8 factory barrel)

Last edited:
I started with 37gr and worked up to 40, at 37 had really tight group but the higher charges i could not get less than a 1 1/2 -2 inch group seemed the amax's were not stable above 37 gr