• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 rifle for my son

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
Alright...it's time to look for a rifle for my 9 year old son. I was wondienr if ya'll could give me some recommendations on make/model for him. I know that there are some economical options out there like the Savage Axis, or the Remington SPS compact/youth. I just want to get him something that is a qualty rifle that he can keep for a long time.

Here are some info on what I am looking for.:
- .243 caliber
- Prefer stainless, but not an absolute deal breaker
- Shorter length of pull for him or comes with a stock that could easily be modified.
- As far as a price range, I'm not sure as of right now. Probably something that wouldn't run more than $700 whether it be rifle along or something that has been modified to fit him. For example, if there is an economical option to buy the rifle and then put it into a laminated wood stock (thumbhole would be nice) that could be cut down for him please let me know.

Some options that have been thrown out to me.:
- Ruger American Classic in stainless composite and I believe they make it in a compact as well. I've heard from a couple of guys that they have been impressed with how they shoot. A gunsmith friend of mine said he was reserving his opinion until he had a chance to really check into one.
- Remington 700 SPS Stainless. I would need to pick up an aftermarket stock that is either made smaller or could be cut down for him. I would then cut down the barrel a couple of inches. I like this idea, but I think it would exceed what I want to spend.
- Tikka T3 compact. Not stainless, but still a good gun in my opinion.
- Tikka T3 Lite stainless. Same scenario with having to get a stock to fit him.

Thanks for you help.

If I was buying, I would look at the Tikka as well. I actually think I may get a 7mm-08 for myself this post season. Maybe the Browning line also or the Winchester compact Featherweight

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-lite-compact-243-win-jrte315c-with-rings.aspx

NOT SURE IF ADJUSTABLE LOP
http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-lite-stainless-243-win-jrtb315-with-rings.aspx

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535201

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=023B&cid=035&tid=248

Last edited:
I started out with a Remington Model 700 Youth in .243. It was the basic ADL model.
My mom has taken it over. I hope to get it back someday :p
It was and still is a great little gun.

I started out with a Remington Model 700 Youth in .243. It was the basic ADL model.
My mom has taken it over. I hope to get it back someday :p
It was and still is a great little gun.

This. Bought a LH model from Buds gun shop for my son and it is perfect.

I bought my son a 243 in the savage axis last year at Christmas. He was 8 at the time. I believe it's the compact version. The worst part about it to me was the trigger. It was so hard for him to pull that his accuracy suffered. So after fixing that problem it is gtg now. The federal 100 gr factory ammo seems to shoot very well and have recently loaded him some 55gr noslers to try out.

I bought my son Rem 700 in .308 with a muzzle break, recoil was less than .243 when he was 9 yrs old. I had the stock cut to fit him. He killed a bunch of deer and hogs with it. He's 21 now put a new composite stock on it when he was 14 and he continues to shoot the hell out of it for hunting. Best investment I ever made on a rifle in a caliber that will do most anything in North America.

I would look around for an older remington 700 in 243. In my opinion the actions were better built and smoother on the older ones.

If it were me, which it will be in about 6 years, I would go with a Remington 700. You can pick up a youth stock or cut the full stock to your needed LOP. Tons of features, including a lot of quality aftermarket upgrades. It has already been said to get a 308 with a brake, and that would serve him for many years to come for pretty much anything he needs. Abundance of quality ammo from the store shelf. It would become a sentimental tool many years down the road.

I still have my Marlin Golden 39AS .22 that my dad bought me as my first gun. If it was a bolt action, I'm sure I would be using the action as part of some build- but I like tinkering with my guns.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(EDIT) Sorry, did not read the budget constraint.

I had the same dilemma with my son.
I selected a Remington Model 7 in 243 with 18" Benchmark,trued and bedded, Vortex glass and tuned trigger.
The fine gents at GAP did the work on it and it shoots like one of their finest.
With the break, it really has no recoil and he has no flinch.
He loves that gun and he has already told me he will hand it down to his son when he grows up. That will be easy for his as he will have mine to play with.
In Texas, when hunting from a blind, the shorter the rifle the better. I also hunt with the same rifle chambered in 7WSM.

This was when he was 7 years old. He now has a nice Axis under his belt also.

35d8fp0.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking into the Howa 2-n-1. Comes with a youth stock and and adult stock.

These are a decent rig. A very light bbl contour, the stocks are a little heavy...but they work.

Otherwise, A Rem 700 with a youth stock would be my choice. Put a VX-2 on it, or a Cabela's Instinct. Then the only thing needed to upgrade is the stock once they get big enough.

You all think a .308 with a break would be a good option for a youth (9 year old)? If so, what break would you recommend for such a set up? This would be going on a factory sporter type barrel, not a heavier barrel like most of the rigs on here.

- The Tikka T3 compact looks like a very good option.

- Anybody familiar with the Ruger American rifle. Have read quite a few good reviews on it.

- Also, looked at a Savage model 16 stainless, but I would definately have to either cut the stock down or find a youth stock or a cheaper wood stock that I could cut down to fit him.

My son started with a Weatherby Vanguard youth .243 at 8 years old. It's affordable, shoots 3/4 moa with cheap shelf ammo and has taken 3 mule deer and a bear so far .

If it's for hunting I would skip the braked 308, keeping up with ear protection in the blind is a pain in the ass. I'd go 243 or 300 savage or 22-250 etc. something light that he can actually carry without struggling and without a concussive brake. A little vortex or leupold with enough mag that he can actually inspect the deer and hopefully see some detail to begin looking for what is important.

I have a 300 bo ruger American ranch. I like it well enough but I do wish the bolt was finished a bit smoother to remove the machining marks that seem to create friction. But the ranch/predator would be a great gun for a kids first as they are a bit more compact than the normal it looks like.

I went down this road...
My son grew so fast he was out of the youth rifle within 2 years. No problem I thought, I'll have Clay build a 260 on the action for him. It was an awesome hunting rifle but expensive none the less for a sporter barrel rifle. Ultimately he wanted something he could hunt with and shoot at the range. As I found out and have watched my friends go through this, Don't spend more than you need to. The rifle will only fit him a couple years. I had a 700 243 ADL sitting in the safe and not being used. I tried to find a youth stock so I could swap the barreled action into it but they were hard to find and expensive for what they are. I ended up finding a youth model 700 243.

SO, what am I left with? I just so happen to have a Remington youth model stock sitting in my closet. It is the stock only. Its the SPS version so no floor plate. I would let you "borrow" the stock until your son grows out of it with the condition you ship it back to me (I have a grandson who may or may not take up hunting in a couple years.). If you have a 700 ADL, BDL or SPS the barreled action will drop right in. You just pay the shipping both ways.

Or you could buy a used ADL/BDL/SPS and swap the barreled action so when he grows out of the youth stock he/you will still have the full size.

Last edited:
We have the Ruger American Ranch also and I've helped friends get theirs set up and sighted in. So far I'm very pleased with these $400 rifles for the money. I have no plans on doing any mods on ours when there are other platforms like Remington or Tikka which have a huge following and abundant aftermarket parts available.

I'd buy the Tikka compact now and fix it up for your kid as the years go by. They have good triggers, a smooth action and most shoot really well.

My wife used a Browning Micro Medallian, but I prefer the Remington Model 7. Both of my kids utilized that rifle. The model CDL is very nice. The Remington also offers a nice selection of aftermarket parts for when he gets older. The other option I have seen hit the market is the new Ruger American chambered in 6MM. Good luck.