• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 twist ? Rem SPS Varmint

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
I'm pondering the Remington SPS Varmint in a .243, which comes with a 26" 9 1/8" twist barrel. It seems like 1-8 is the way to go, but would the Rem factory barrel likely be O.K. with the 105/107gr range of bullets? Down the road I could always have a new barrel put on, but I'm thinking of the cheaper route for now. It would be used for tactical matches out to 1,100 yards or so.

Re: .243 twist ? Rem SPS Varmint

I shoot the same gun. I have yet to try the 105 Berger. The 105 Hornady AMAX shoots very well and stabalizes. 107 Sierra MK will not. Been waiting to try the 95 SMK- do they actualy exist?YMMV.

DSMcG

105 AMAX and 105 scenars are GTG. Never try 107 grain, but I think it's a bit too heavy for the twist.

I asked a similar question recently (trying to sort out a spec for a new .243)

Looking at somethng that would be GTG with either 105 Scenars, 107 SMK or 115 DTACs.

A couple of guys suggested 1 in 7.5" to get the heavier bullets stabilised as well as working with the 105's