• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243LBC 6mmAR

SUIScide

Gainesville, TX
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2012
North Central Texas
Well pictures are nice.
Rifle
DPMS upper, AR Performance 20" barrel, Bushmaster lower off a 450 Bushmaster, Sightron III 16x fixed power, TBAC 30 P suppressor
image_zpsaee2e002.jpg

Ammo
image_zps11d1d2f0.jpg

Group w/ called flyer
image_zps0fc9f8b2.jpg

Okay nothing stellar here, this is the best I've done with this setup. I'm wondering what others are using as far as loads, and if anyone else has a hard time finding a recipe for success. The group above was shot with 70 grain ballistic tips over 27.8 grains of IMR8208 and a Rem 7 1/2 BR primer. I've also done well with 80 grain varmint Bergers with 28 grains of same powder and primer. I haven't gotten 105 Amax to shoot worth a hoot. The ballistic tips are real variable with the groups opening up a lot with small changes in overall length and charge weight. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for this wildcat?

I have an AR with the same barrel, accuracy with 55gr ballistic tips was pretty damn impressive, the 105gr bergers were well under an inch. I have several loads, but I am not local to my load book. WIll try to post data in a few months.

Check Whitleys website 6mmAR.com.
29gr N530 with 95gr SMKs loaded to 2.295" OAL will shoot around 1/2 MOA.
29gr H4895 80gr Nosler Ballistic tips, they need to be loaded short around 2.15" since the 80s don't have a long nose like the SMKs.
Keep all bullets apx .010 off the lands.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have any n530 or h4895, it's been a little tricky finding powders these days! Ill keep tinkering with it I was just wondering what others are using. I also have varget (lucky me!), h335, TAC, and maybe h332 to try as well. Phreak if you remember let me know what worked on your 55's when you get back.

My 264lbc likes 28.0 grains of 8208. Most others that I know like that charge also. Might try working up to that before you give up on 8208.

I'm in that neighborhood with the 8208 retooferba, note this is the 6.5 necked down to 6mm. What are people with the AR performance chamber trimming to?

I'm in that neighborhood with the 8208 retooferba, note this is the 6.5 necked down to 6mm. What are people with the AR performance chamber trimming to?

1.530 is the wall so 1.520 should be fine.
Varget may be a little slow burning even for the 95gr bullets and may produce slower velocity but stick with the same 28-29gr charges, any more will become compressed and be erratic. 8082 is even slower. H322 may be a decent powder for the light 55s I don't know anyone shooting bullets that light. They will have a short ogive and probably need to be loaded short like the 80gr.
Quickload says 28-29gr H322 with 70gr Noslers.
The 105 Amax needs to be loaded as long as your mags allow, I would use your Varget with the 105s 27-28gr.
DO NOT try H322 or 10x with bullets 95gr or more unless it's down around 26gr. 28gr of 10x will rupture the case. In 30years of reloading all kinds of wildcats I have had 4 cases rupture and that was one of them.

Last edited:
I'm trimming to 1.515, ill start working on the faster powders for the light bullets. The one 6.8 PRI mag I have works well

Thanks bustin. I'm using AA brass. Do you know of or recommend neck turning?
Lapua makes AAs brass. It usually does not need to be turned, just chamfered inside and out.

With ARs you need to use a hard hold and follow through on the trigger. Free recoil with a light AR allows the barrel to come up too much. The lock time is so slow letting the trigger reset like a bolt gun will kill your accuracy. Hold it back until the bullet hits the target then let it reset...when shooting groups.

Yeah I usually try to keep the butt firmly into my shoulder with AR's. I'm pretty sure I'm the weakest link in this endeavor! The barrel is top notch, hardly fouls at all. I have some more stuff to try next week. I want to post what works when I have that info by a computer. I noticed one nice thing at a stop by cabelas today, since there aren't any "assault rifles" in 6mm there was a much greater selection of bullets compared to the empty spots for 308, 224...

Last edited: