• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

243win powder

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
Started reloading my my Rem700 SPS in 243win. I plan on shooting Hornady 75 and 87 gr V-max. I started out with H4350. What's else is a good powder?

Re: 243win powder

RL-15, IMR-4064, Varget, N-140 or similar burn rate is viable choice for that bullet weight.

I use IMR 4064 for 85 gr Sierra Gamekings and Hodgeson Retumbo for 105 AMAXes.

My sps in a HS stock is doing very well with Sierra 95gr match and H4350. 12" plate at 800 yards is very easy. I need to shoot some groups at that distance just to see what she can do. She also likes them hot. I don't remember but I think the touching the lands are impossible. I am single feeding. Loaded very long.

Thanks guys. Right now I'm nearing the max load with 45 - 46gr of H4350. It looks like it might be ok. I'll try Re15 or Varget next.

I've been tring to build a load with 87Vmax bullets not having much luck with Varget, about a moa at 100y. have foun a ouple of nodes just not tight groups like I'm looking for. I have worked from 40.5 - 43.0 grains of Varget and at 43gr I could see a little extractor swipe but no tight bolt lift yet. I think the H4350 is going to be a better powder for it. This is what I'm going to try next.

I used 42 grains of IMR 4350 under an 85 grain SGK hollow point for antelope this fall, great accuracy(3/4 MOA) and a good kill at 225 yards.

IMR 4831 47.5 gr shoots pretty good in my Rem 700

I thought I was over max because in most manuals they stop around 44 but IMR data says you can go to 48.5 C load. My rifle showed no signs of pressure at 47.5 Im going to try 10 46.5 tonight because it looked like it shot just as good as the 47.5 load

I shoot 40.3 grains of IMR 4831 with a Hornady 95 grain SST bullet. Shoots sub moa groups in my Savage. I love this load, but I haven't tried any other powders, just different charges of this one. It worked so well I just stuck with it.

IMR 4064 is a great 243 powder, especially in that range of bullet weights. Speed
and accuracy are often the best with it. Some say it burns a little hotter and therefore harder on the throat.

RE17 or Vit N160 work exceptionally well with a 90 grain Scenar in my Tikka T3. Flat shooting and accurate to 1k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been tring to build a load with 87Vmax bullets not having much luck with Varget, about a moa at 100y. have foun a ouple of nodes just not tight groups like I'm looking for. I have worked from 40.5 - 43.0 grains of Varget and at 43gr I could see a little extractor swipe but no tight bolt lift yet. I think the H4350 is going to be a better powder for it. This is what I'm going to try next. </div></div>

Trying those loads you suggest with Varget?? perhaps would would do better if you didn't start at 2-1/2 grains more than Hodgdon recommends for the Max load. 43 grains pushing an 85gr head is 5 grains more that the Chart recommends. (I realize Manufacturers are conservatively safe) but 5 grains safe.
shocked.gif