• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243win powder

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
Started reloading my my Rem700 SPS in 243win. I plan on shooting Hornady 75 and 87 gr V-max. I started out with H4350. What's else is a good powder?

Re: 243win powder

RL-15, IMR-4064, Varget, N-140 or similar burn rate is viable choice for that bullet weight.

I use IMR 4064 for 85 gr Sierra Gamekings and Hodgeson Retumbo for 105 AMAXes.

My sps in a HS stock is doing very well with Sierra 95gr match and H4350. 12" plate at 800 yards is very easy. I need to shoot some groups at that distance just to see what she can do. She also likes them hot. I don't remember but I think the touching the lands are impossible. I am single feeding. Loaded very long.

Thanks guys. Right now I'm nearing the max load with 45 - 46gr of H4350. It looks like it might be ok. I'll try Re15 or Varget next.

I've been tring to build a load with 87Vmax bullets not having much luck with Varget, about a moa at 100y. have foun a ouple of nodes just not tight groups like I'm looking for. I have worked from 40.5 - 43.0 grains of Varget and at 43gr I could see a little extractor swipe but no tight bolt lift yet. I think the H4350 is going to be a better powder for it. This is what I'm going to try next.

I used 42 grains of IMR 4350 under an 85 grain SGK hollow point for antelope this fall, great accuracy(3/4 MOA) and a good kill at 225 yards.

IMR 4831 47.5 gr shoots pretty good in my Rem 700

I thought I was over max because in most manuals they stop around 44 but IMR data says you can go to 48.5 C load. My rifle showed no signs of pressure at 47.5 Im going to try 10 46.5 tonight because it looked like it shot just as good as the 47.5 load

I shoot 40.3 grains of IMR 4831 with a Hornady 95 grain SST bullet. Shoots sub moa groups in my Savage. I love this load, but I haven't tried any other powders, just different charges of this one. It worked so well I just stuck with it.

IMR 4064 is a great 243 powder, especially in that range of bullet weights. Speed
and accuracy are often the best with it. Some say it burns a little hotter and therefore harder on the throat.

RE17 or Vit N160 work exceptionally well with a 90 grain Scenar in my Tikka T3. Flat shooting and accurate to 1k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been tring to build a load with 87Vmax bullets not having much luck with Varget, about a moa at 100y. have foun a ouple of nodes just not tight groups like I'm looking for. I have worked from 40.5 - 43.0 grains of Varget and at 43gr I could see a little extractor swipe but no tight bolt lift yet. I think the H4350 is going to be a better powder for it. This is what I'm going to try next. </div></div>

Trying those loads you suggest with Varget?? perhaps would would do better if you didn't start at 2-1/2 grains more than Hodgdon recommends for the Max load. 43 grains pushing an 85gr head is 5 grains more that the Chart recommends. (I realize Manufacturers are conservatively safe) but 5 grains safe.
shocked.gif